302 power

Could I reliably get 330 BHP from a 302 engine using a standard bottom end (crank rods pistons) and just an upgrading the cam, valve train/heads, intake etc?
Thanks
Simon

330BHP = 246KW.
the last of the AU falcons here in Oz were putting out 220KW at 5250rpm, with a 302 displacement. That is with 9.1:1 compression ratio on 95 RON fuel. This was in 2002.
a jump to 246kw would only be 11% over the factory rating, i would be very surprised if an exhaust and intake wouldn't get you close.

Factory ring dimensions/sizes

keeping with the 9:1 compression ratio, simply replacing the pistons with some more modern ones, and going to a newer style ring package could reduce the friction enough to see a decent gain. if your replacing the piston anyway, as maybe needed when freshening up the bore, you could bump the compression anyway.

I have a Ford Motorsports "X-302" crate motor in my Cobra. They claimed it could make "up to" 340 hp in the sales materials. That would be "engine horsepower" not the rear wheel variety. On the chassis dyno when getting the EFI tuned, it actually made 290 hp at the rear wheels. This particular engine isn't sold anymore but, but a newer variation is ( https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-X2302E ) that's still rated at 340 hp and it's specs should give you a decent idea for how Ford went about it for a crate engine.

Neil

Supporter
I have a Ford Motorsports "X-302" crate motor in my Cobra. They claimed it could make "up to" 340 hp in the sales materials. That would be "engine horsepower" not the rear wheel variety. On the chassis dyno when getting the EFI tuned, it actually made 290 hp at the rear wheels. This particular engine isn't sold anymore but, but a newer variation is ( https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-X2302E ) that's still rated at 340 hp and it's specs should give you a decent idea for how Ford went about it for a crate engine.
The phrase "up to" is frequently encountered in advertising. If you really think about it, this is actually saying that this is the very most it will do; in other words, it won't put out over 340 horsepower. How much can you expect? Who knows, it could be from zero to 340 BHP; you only have their assurance that it will not be over 340 BHP. Reassuring, isn't it?

Howard Jones

Supporter
My 340HP Ford motorsports 302 made 297 hp at the wheels on a chassis dyno some years ago. It had the standard compression pistons at 9.5 to 1, the B303 ford motorsports hyd cam, aluminum Y ford motorsports heads with .194I and 1.60E valves, rpm performer intake, and a 750 DP Holley. The engine was balanced and the heads were moderately ported (mainly a valve pocket cleanup). I would estimate it makes about 350HP at the crank.

These engines are based on a standard HO 302 production cast crank, rods, and pistons. The heads they used have production-stamped steel rockers with no rollers and are really not worth very much because so many other aluminum heads made nowadays are so much better. The cam is pretty mild with 280ish duration and about .540 lift.

Here is a currently available 302 from Summit that is pretty close to what I have with the exception of what I believe are better heads. Check out the specs. Stock lower end, decent heads, and a mildish hyd roller cam.

So yes......easily.

Last edited:
Back