6 pin wheels on a 5 lug hub

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm investigating what it will take to use some McLaren 6-pin wheels on a five lug pattern. It's not a priority thing, but if I
"show" the car, it would be nice to put these on the car for fun. I've found some sites that appear to offer an adapter for this, but cannot ascertain whether the entire hub is replaced (and if so, what was the upright or spindle application), or if an adapter is used (which doesn't seem feasible). Can you folks point me to a good site for this? I've found references in the search, but nothing with any more detail than I've already read. I've looked at ERA, and their site had some nice photos, but no explanation of how it works. Same with Vintage.

Trigo makes an adapter setup, but it uses five-pin wheels instead of six. The adapter is slipped over the stock studs, and is secured with five special lug nuts which double as locating pins for the wheel. The wheel is then slipped over the pins and secured with the tri-eared spinner.

I'm investigating what it will take to use some McLaren 6-pin wheels on a five lug pattern. It's not a priority thing, but if I
"show" the car, it would be nice to put these on the car for fun. I've found some sites that appear to offer an adapter for this, but cannot ascertain whether the entire hub is replaced (and if so, what was the upright or spindle application), or if an adapter is used (which doesn't seem feasible). Can you folks point me to a good site for this? I've found references in the search, but nothing with any more detail than I've already read. I've looked at ERA, and their site had some nice photos, but no explanation of how it works. Same with Vintage.

Hi Terry,

I think you're going to have a tough time with that. Meaning, I don't think you'll find a 5 pin to 6 pin "adapter" as such an item would undoubtedly increase the track by a good bunch, and, it would be very difficult to accommodate a 6 pin pattern while still using a 5 pin hub. I believe the original halibrands were 6 pin, corresponding to the design of the magnesium wheel "spokes" so going to 5 pin is difficult enough (w/o any adapters making it more difficult).

To get to a 6 pin configuration I think you're going to need original-type 6 pin hubs - and these will likely need some fitting/machining to make work with your uprights. It ain't gonna be easy, or cheap.....

Terry:
As the saying goes "been there done that". I had the same dilemma. I found myself with a set of 6 pin wheels that are perfect for my chassis, 15 X 10 fronts, and 15 X 14 rears, with correct offset and backspacing.
The problem is 5 holes and 6 holes will interfere, unless the bolt centers are radically different. The solution to my problem was to machine a completely new set of front hubs with a 6 pin drive setup, and as Cliff said I had to set up the hubs with less track to compensate for the increase the adapters created (approx 3/4" total). I solved my problem, and the wheels fit well, but as was said not cheap. The final result looks great, and I am glad I decided to go the route. I can post some photos if you would like to see them.
Cheers
Phil

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Phil. To be sure, I try, at just about all cost, to avoid wheel spacers or adapters, but in this case, the final "look" is too enticing. There is a company that produces 5 lug-6 lug adapters (2” thick….jeez), but I see this as a means of using the 6 lug pattern which will then allow the use of the aftermarket pin-type adapters. Yeah, I don’t like it either, but for display purposes it seems feasible.

Back