8/9 Sept Britcar 24 Hours of Silverstone

Malcolm

Supporter
Frustration! Our Brazilian has withdrawn so we have a spare drive if anyone is interested. PM or email me if seriously interested.

Malcolm

Supporter
Quite a lot has happened since my last update! Typically the car I wished to beat, the Alistair McKinnon/Dean Lazante/Adrian Newey Lotus Exige has withdrawn. Shame. Also Calum Lockie has personnaly withdrawn from his team as he has broken his leg, and it won't mend in time. I hope it fully heals in due course.

Our car has now had its race engine and gearbox fitted and on 21st August we had our second of two shake down test days. We were also down a driver so we had two guys pitch up for evaluation and both have committed to the team. We are now back up to 5 drivers which really helps with the costs of this event and also with the energy required to drive the car over 24 hours. I am not worried about the length of time behind the wheel, it is doing so with a crap nights sleep in the middle of it all. I plan to fit out my enclosed trailer with all modern creature comforts starting with a proper bed!

Our two new drivers are David Smith and Paul White.

David has, I think, 6 previous 24 hour races under his belt albeit at the Nurburgring. However that is a good amount of endurance racing. He is quite a tall chap at 6 ft 4ins. This is a problem so a new seat is being prepared that will take the complete range of drivers from shrimps to giants! Weren't Jackie Ickx and Jackie Oliver paired because they were the same size? Clearly we do not follow that history lesson! If the name Daivd Smith rings any bells it is likley you are a cricket fan. He played for England 4 times in the mid eighties and also played and then coached for Sussex.

Paul White is also experienced in 24 hour events as he competed last year in this race in a BMW M3 E36. With Calum Lockie, Don Grice and Tony Brown they won their class! Most of Pauls experience seems to have been in BMWs but from what I saw yesterday, Paul should be a safe pair of hands with a Porsche too.

The aim of the session yeaterday was to get all the bugs out of the car NOW and not on the race day itself when there is zippo time to do anything about it. And we found some. Late in the day we had a misfire and the talk between the mechanics and John, team boss, covered all possibilities from valves not seating properly to cracked manifolds, to this and to that.... Personally I was superbly impressed that a misfire could be heard as it escaped me. I am very much not an engine man!!!! However Kieran ably demonstrated the misfire in the pit garage to me. One more thing learnt! So today the scheduled engine drop and gearbox strip down will also include an investigation to the causes of the misfire. John tells me there is time to send the engine back to Germany if there is a major issue or if small it can be sorted here. We have spare engine(s) that are known to be solid performers so this will not prevent us competing. I always worry I did something that caused a problem to eminate but we need to see what Keiran says when he investigates today and tomorrow.

The car handled very well although to me it has fractionally more push than I would like. But like my 40, application of the throttle does help turn in. I find it a very forgiving car to drive and like it enormously. Quite like my 40, but quicker and lighter on the controls.

Phil Brough, one of our other drivers, is also a professional race instructor. He sat beside me and is giving welcome instruction to improve me. I will always need to improve but at present he has picked on just one or two aspects that he wants addressed now, concentrating on items to make me more sympathetic to the car so it lasts 24 hours that much more easily. My biggest issue (that I know of) is the gear shift. It is a 6 speed box but not sequential. Anyone care to loan us a sequential box for the race? Couple of tickets in it for you? The box is easy enough to use and is light and precise. My issue is that it has quite a wide gate and this I am not yet used to. Phil is to work more on this apsect. I hope he can sort me out!

We were trying out a different radio system yesterday but the test was not conclusive enough to commit to it yet. We were experimenting between PTT (Push to talk) or VOX (voice activated with noise suppression) systems. If we don't have radios we will struggle as our designated pit is 11a, quite close to Copse corner. Doesn't give much time for drivers to look for a pit board, especially when it becomes dark!

There are now 58 confirmed teams entered. Some new ones in, some previoulsy entered teams withdrawn. I will post the final entry much closer to the day.

Last year some of you wanted to follow the race and this is possible again this year. Live tiiming is being provided by MST. The web link is

Events Diary - September 2007

and if you choose 6/9th September, Silverstone International, EERC part way down the page you will get the timing page. Clearly nothing there yet! I am not yet sure if there is to be a live web radio commentary broadcast but if I find out I will post here.

Next we carry on getting the car ready. Well I don't, but the guys who know what they are doing will! This will include putting the full race graphics on the car, different to last years design. Blue with orange blobs! Trust me, it looks good. Next and final test days are 5th and 6th September. Then on the 7th we have official practice and qualifying, both daylight and nightime where all drivers must do both sessions (min 3 laps per person) with the race commencing at 4:30pm on Saturday 8th September.

Malc yesterday..

Attachments

• IMG_6843a.jpg
    IMG_6843a.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_7012a.jpg
    IMG_7012a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 468

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like it is going to be loads of fun!

But, I'm not liking the vibe I'm getting from some engine misfiring action and sending motors back to Germany. Mechanical failure took you guys out last year didn't it? Those P-cars.......

There is one in my driveway incidentally that we're thinking of making into a race car. But, it is complex little devil when compared to some other choices and we're second guessing now.

Anyways, thanks for the pictures and I do hope this is going to turn out well. Car sounds like it is a blast to drive and I'm wishing all the best!!! Keep us posted with progress!

Ron

Malcolm

Supporter
Just had a look at the updated entry list and now it is OK to be public knowledge that Top Gear have entered a team driving a BMW 330 diesel. Clearly a full production team as Clarkson, May, Hampster and Stig are all driving. Guess we will know when Stig is out driving as the lap times should be significantly quicker!

Malcolm

Supporter
Now that would be unbearable!

John just called with a quick update on the technical glitch we had on Tuesday. He tells me it was nothing to flap about (these Greeks have a way with words) and it is all sorted. He won't say what but I got the gist that a nut was loose that should not have been loose and measures will be taken to prevent it happening again.

I do find it interesting how the team keeps the drivers and mechanics separate with regards to information. I guess it is because they don't want drivers being distracted by technical concerns when we have other driver things to worry about. Never once in the time I have known the team have they told me what is going on if they expect me to get back in the car. Having always worked on my own cars, I find this weird to experience but I can see the logic behind it.

Ron Earp

Admin
I do find it interesting how the team keeps the drivers and mechanics separate with regards to information. I guess it is because they don't want drivers being distracted by technical concerns when we have other driver things to worry about. Never once in the time I have known the team have they told me what is going on if they expect me to get back in the car. Having always worked on my own cars, I find this weird to experience but I can see the logic behind it.

I agree with you, quite odd, but nice/

If all the drivers aren't driving around the track with things hanging over your head like "I wonder if I tightened all the flywheel bolts?" and "Hmmm, I don't remember that vibration....." then it isn't a level playing field. :)

Malcolm

Supporter
Wasn't it on some Porsche 917s when the factory didn't even tell the drivers what the chassis material was? Magnesium by any chance? Was that responsible team management?

Malcolm

Supporter
A week to go now. Certainly the job list is going crazy with loads of little things that need to be done.

One of my tasks has been to get the pit/car radio system up and running. Last year we ran with an Autotel system. There was an Autotel engineer at the circuit for the event, but that is not a job I fancy as the poor guy was completely inundated with things to sort out for many teams. Also I thought them a little bit guarded about helping people making their existing headsets mate up to their control boxes. All they seemed to want to do was sell you a new head set.....at £160 a go! Thank goodness a mix of sense from other manufacturers and a continuity tester sorted the day.

This year we are using a system based on Autocom hardware. I pulled it from my 40. It is predominantly a motorbike system but they do supply F1 and rally teams as well. Paul and Glenn both run this gear on their bikes.

After a frustrating test where I didn't realise you had to programme the Motorola GP300 to use VOX I am now confident we will have a system that works.

We have 5 radios and a base station as used by cab firms. We have a proper license and a designated frequency. One radio goes in the car and three others are worn by pit personnel, including our re-fueling guys who are in another pit lane so out the loop for communication unless we have radios. With the base station and a mast on top of our race truck we should get 100% coverage of the circuit. We are also running a car mounted ariel.

Autocom have given me the wiring diagram for their headsets if we need it, but I have also found a cable adapter to take 3.5mm ear monitors as that is what most of the guys will be using and not helmet mounted speakers.

I have splashed out and had a set of ear molds taken for custom ear monitors to be made. After scaring myself over tinitus after driving the Prosport for one day, I wanted proper ear protection. These monitors are F1 quality (Renault drivers use the same supplier and parts). The supplier, Ultimate Ear Protection Ltd, quote a minus 34 dB level of protection. Having tried a set out in their lab, I have never had so much noise reduction in one set of plugs! I could hardly hear myself talk through my head let alone the guy standing directly in front of me! If the finished article is that good, I will be very pleased.

I have managed a last minute sponsor from one of my local bakers, Dean Wilshire trading as Good Taste in Camberley. He will bring as many cakes and doughnuts as he can fit into his 997! Not quite sure how dougnuts fits into team fitness et al, but what the heck, lets see what happens.

Our pit garage has been moved twice now. Initially we were sharing garage 11c with a BMW team, then we had it to ourselves, and now we have been moved to garage 3c. We have a Mosler next to us, a team going for the outright victory. This is actually a good thing as last year we were in garage 10 and it is close to Copse corner so by the time you came up to your pit board you were seriously concentrating on the corner and not on reading the pit board. This year I hope we get more time to read the pit board!

I need to thank Roy Snook for help with my sponsor logos and Brain Magee who quoted to help John with the full car graphics. Thanks for the support guys and hope to see you at the race.

John tells me the car is now fully ready to go, so we just await the next test day on 5th Sept. Thursday 6th Sept, as well as the official test day, will be signing on and scrutineering as well as driver briefings etc etc.

Not long to go now....

Malcolm

Supporter
Yesterday and today have been two very full days for me. We did most of our test driving yesterday, which was very satisfactory. Without the misfire the car was noticeably quicker. Good! We had really old tyres on yesterday and the car was a hoot to drive being a little loose at the rear as a result. More power than grip = big fun! New tyres will stop that though!

Today was just fine tuning the last bits of the car for scrutineering which we passed nearly first go. Our fogs lamps had a bad earth so misbehaved and our id light was set to strobe which is not allowed. Not a lot of bother really. Squeaked through noise at 102 dB with the same dB for drive by. Should not be a problem.

Talking of fog, thanks to this forums own David Morton of Racemet for offering to help with a weather prediction on Friday evening. I hate the idea of racing in fog so lets hope he doesn't predict it!

Had some fun getting the radios all working but with a taxi broadcast base station we now have full track coverage, and nearly the tallest mast in the paddock! Nearly lost my brand new ear monitors which caused me a panic as they are guaranteed for everything but stupidity! Found them after a hour looking.

I am feeling very good about everything right now. And with a nice sunset, I left for home on high.

Wish me luck as this is my last post pre race, and it is the biggest race of my life!

Paul Thompson is going to try and post updates starting from when he gets to Silverstone from Brigthon Speed Trials. MST timing (see early post for web link) are doing lap times if you want to follow the action. Below are just a small selection of pictures to show you the car in this years livery. If you can get there we are in Pit 3c, you will be most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3573a.JPG
    IMG_3573a.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_3577a.jpg
    IMG_3577a.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_3602a.jpg
    IMG_3602a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 384
Nice one Malc! - I hope qualifying goes well and to plan, if you are unable to post a report, give me a call and I'll post for you.

Also looking forward to Brighton Speed Trials, then a blast from Brighton to Silverstone to support/take pics and hopefully, post a few web updates...

'Keep it on the Grey Stuff'............:)

Malcolm

Supporter
Wendy updating here! Malc says 1st lap fuel rail split! lost 2 laps Later throttle linkage failed lost 4 laps, and now been shunted off from behind!! New exhaust going on as we speak. back on track soon.

Wendy updating here! Malc says 1st lap fuel rail split! lost 2 laps Later throttle linkage failed lost 4 laps, and now been shunted off from behind!! New exhaust going on as we speak. back on track soon.

I've just arrived home from Silverstone, having left the circuit around 7.45pm. GOOD NEWS - the car was repaired and back in the race. Malc was due to drive next, so let's hope their luck changes....

Give me some time and I'll post a couple of photos :)

Charles

Edited to add: Sorry - I don't have the necessary re-sizing software. D'oh. :(

Last edited:
Arrived at Silverstone approx 11:15, Malc had just got back in from a 90 min stint on track. No dramas to report although Malc did say that the rear end seemed somewhat lively. He's now gone to bed as his next session will be at about 5am. The track was quiet for the last 10-15 mins as the safety car was out following a 'spill' of one ot the other cars.

I'll see about getting some pics to post and get back with another update later...

Paul

An update:
Sunnday Time 01:11
Car has just come in and John Clonis (team owner) has got in for his first drive.
A fresh set of tyres are fitted, fluids checked and topped up.
And off he goes again. Poistion currently 36th
Photos: Pit work and a 'few' of the tyres for the event.

Attachments

• IMG_9987.JPG
    IMG_9987.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_9989.JPG
    IMG_9989.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_9990.JPG
    IMG_9990.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_9998.JPG
    IMG_9998.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 343
Sunday Time 01:45
John comes back in with "no brakes" - brake fluid warning lamp and little or no pedal.

The team go to work and determine that the earlier rear end shunt, that had damaged the exhaust (bent it down severely - requiring it to be changed), has also now caused rear transaxle mounting failure. This in turn has allowed excessive movement of parts that have damaged a brake pipe leading to the fluid loss. John could feel that the opposite corners had lost brakes when fluid loss occurred and immediately came in.

The parts replaced, including new transaxle mounts - and John is back out again to continue his stint. Pos now 38th

Photos: more pit shots and offending transaxle mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Sunday 03:10
Position update
now 36th of 60...:)
Malcolm still tucked up in the land of NOD.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whilst Wendy, Glenn, Tammy and I freeze our bits off!!

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Good luck Malcolm and team!!! Malcolm should be out soon, yes? I was out at a dinner party, very tame by comparison to what is happening to friends across the ocean.

Great updates, need to read them all, keep them coming!!!!

Ron

Sunday Time 02:28
John comes in and after another set of tyres - Paul goes out for some laps.

At about 03:40, Paul returns with a 'noisy' sounding motor. Sounded a bit like a blow on the exhaust but a quick check seems to indicate a possible rocker/valvetrain issue... :(

A replacement spare engine is rolled out, but for the last 30 mins or so, Fog has been decending upon the circuit and at this point in time (now 5am ish) - the race is suspended into a ''parc ferme' condition.
Cars on circuit remain in position and form on the grid. Cars in pits may possibly be requested to be present in pit lane, as opposed to garages, so no work can be done for the time being.

We now wait to see when the 'weather hold' is lifted, so the car can be
rolled back into the pit and worked on. Malc got up shortly before 5am and has now retured to his sleeping qaurters... for more zzzzzzzzzz's.... After some 26hrs awake, time for some coffee me thinks...

Car was running position 35 at time of stop.

Photos: a Mosler and Porsche being worked on next door - A sick motor....

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg