8/9 Sept Britcar 24 Hours of Silverstone

Malcolm

Supporter
John is a calm individual. He is laid back and quite quiet. So not wanting to change this he drove conservatively, definitely avoiding trouble along the way, dealing with a very late safety car period, set his personal best of 2 minutes 16.602 seconds (not indicative of what he can really do) 3 laps from the end of the race and for us, on the 312 lap crossed the finish line 24 hours after we started.

4:30pm
We had bloody well done it! And it felt good.

Attachments

• IMG_3717a.jpg
    IMG_3717a.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 362

Malcolm

Supporter
The above picture is John just yards before the finishing line on the last lap so apologies for it being out of focus, I just held the camera up and held my finger on the shutter release! However the picture below is the car at 6:30pm after it had been released from parc ferme. There are a number of people missing from this picture, namely 2 cooks, 2 re-fuellers, our electronics man, two drivers, and a couple more mechanics. It is a big team effort but the main architects are John Clonis, 3rd from the right, Kieran the grumpy looking one in the middle, Andy in the bright red shirt and Phil in the light blue shirt. Without their huge effort, drive and experience the team would not even have got to Silverstone.

Attachments

• CTR Silverstone 196a.jpg
    CTR Silverstone 196a.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 388

Malcolm

Supporter
And of course each driver has to thank their sponsors for helping financially. To that end I would like to say a big thank you to Stephen Pritchard of Menzies, Peter Memmott of Fairweathers, David Tucker of J Shepherds, David Medcraft of Brackenwood Windows, and finally Dean Wilshire of Good Taste Coffee.

Others helped too, in big and small ways but all helped. Glenn did a fantastic job of supporting/crewing for Wendy at the Brighton Speed Trials (yup, the 40 was out all Saturday whilst I played here) and for coming up to Silverstone to support me. Wendy (pictured below) for giving me a pass out to play, organising the children and being all-round top girl. Gill and Andy Hooper for child minding days at a time, Keith and Lewis Baker for taking massive quantities of pictures throughout the night (to be posted when sorted) and for Paul picking up where they left off after he had done the Brighton Speed Trials too! Just how many hours sleep did you get in 48 hours, Paul? However I would like to know more about the frank discussions you and Wendy were having at 5 am whilst I slept……you couldn’t stop giggling I hear!

Roy Snook of Allsigns helped me with car decals, making sure each was just right so that they fitted the car and would show up as best as possible.

There are bound to be more that in my still sleepy state I have missed so please take a thank you here, you all were very supportive.

Now for next year we need……..

Attachments

• IMG_3731a.jpg
    IMG_3731a.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 377
Just how many hours sleep did you get in 48 hours, Paul?

Well after preparing for Brighton - I got to bed 1am Sat Morning, getting up at 04:30am.... Then Brighton, Silverstone, Home.... Sunday 8pm... Bed by 9:45pm....(an early night)....so awake for 41.5 hours.....:zzz::zzz::zzz:

However I would like to know more about the frank discussions you and Wendy were having at 5 am whilst I slept……you couldn’t stop giggling I hear!

Malc - I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you....:D another one of life's mysteries...........;)

ps - Superb write-up :pepper: Really captured the moments and explained a lot more than I could have known.... I also look forward to seing Keith's pics, he takes great shots so I'm sure there'll be some 'poster' prints available soon.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Great write up Malcom and congratulations to you and your team for bringing it home.

Well done

Bill.

Malcolm

Supporter
Please be advised that the Britcar 24 Hours from Silverstone will have five airings on Sky Sports as follows

Wednesday December 5th - Sky Sports Extra at 6pm
Wednesday December 5th - Sky Sports Extra at 10pm
Thursday December 6th - Sky Sports 2 at 10am
Thursday December 6th - Sky Sports 2 at 3pm
Saturday December 8th - Sky Sports Extra at Midnight

As yet, not sure when Top Gear will be running their feature but will put it here if I know prior!

Wonder if our car (#35) will make an appearance this year?

Back