A quick question

Hi Guys,

Like many people here I'm a GT40 dreamer
smile.gif

A kit for me is still a couple of years away, but I have a question regarding one of the kits on the market.

I read on the GT40 NZ website that they don't supply a build manual with the car because the GT40 is a fairly simple car.

Which is a pity for me because I quite like the NZ kit but I have nearly zero mechanical knowledge.

So my question is, should I be looking at kits that come with comprehensive build manuals. Or would I be fine just "learning on the job" and getting a bit of a hand from a local mechanic with the GT40 NZ kit?

Does GT40 NZ have any plans in the future to provide a set of plans for their kit?

I can't imagine any replica build being a fairly simple car to build. From what I have read, the NZ appears to be a good value.
I would find some people that have built the car and ask for advice or assistance. My GTD build manual is not the greatest, but I have a circle of friends always willing to help. And when I get stuck ,digital pics go to the UK via email for a "now what do I do?" session, which invarariably gets me back on track.
Brian

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Perform a search in the consumer watch section of this forum, you will find a very favourable write up of this car. I am sure the vendors of GT40 NZ help all their customers as much as is required.
The skills you will need are basic skills that anyone can learn, you don't need to be a scientist or aircraft mechanic to build one, just a lot of time and patience (and money).

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Perform a search in the consumer watch section of this forum, you will find a very favourable write up of this car. I am sure the vendors of GT40 NZ help all their customers as much as is required.
The skills you will need are basic skills that anyone can learn, you don't need to be a scientist or aircraft mechanic to build one, you just need a lot of time and patience (and money).

I currently have a GT40NZ kit on order.
There are currently only two being built here, in the USA.
I have been in contact with both USA owners and they are both very happy with their kits.

The lack of a build manual is not a concern for me, because I have built many projects over the years,, and am a Mercedes Tech by trade.

GT40NZ has recently changed ownership, and I know that the new owner, Dave Harvey, has been working hard on making some improvements to the kits.
The kits, will also soon have a longer list of available spares and options.
I belive they are also working on a manual, but will leave it to Dave to fill you in on the progress.

I see that you are located in NZ.
You might to contact Dave, and possibly schedule a visit with him.
There are quite a few finished kits in NZ, so I am pretty sure you will have a chance to see a completed one.
You might even be able to go see mine in the "production" stages.
grin.gif

HeathGT350, You sound a lot like I was several years ago. I have only general automotive skills. I ordered and built a cobra kit and would never have ordered a kit without an instruction manual and the prospect of tech help from the company. There was still many hours spent starring at parts not exactly sure what to do. Manuals are good because it gives you the general order that components are assembled. This prevents you from getting to far ahead and having to disassemble something to install something else.
My first kit required a Mustang donor car. It took a friend and I two days to dissassemble. The second time I dissassembled a Mustang for another kit it took me working by myself less than 8 hours using air tools.
My confidence and skills were much better the second time around.
This brings up another good topic. The more time that I spend working on cars the more tools that I seem to acquire. Air compressor/with all the goodies, torque wrench, grinders, new tool boxes, etc. etc. How cool is that? I always have a list for birthdays and christmas to increase my tool inventory and my wife and children have been happy to oblige. My wife is on to me though and is getting concerned about what my next project will be. She noticed that I changed my screen saver from a mountain scene to a GT40.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your supportive comments.

True GT40 NZ did not have a manual but in our take over and restructuring of the company this is firmly on our list and is in progress. We will continue offer the “SKD’s (semi-knock down) up to “CKD” (complete knock down) assemblies due to strong demand. It seems like we are one of the few manufacturers to continue to do this.

I am not intending this to be an “ad” for GT40 NZ but welcome feed back if we aren’t supplying what you as clients want.

In offering a Stage 2 SKD the following is completed which we believe are the technically hard parts done;

Chassis Power or Paint finished,
Body fitted, gapped and hinged,
Ali Paneling fitted,
ALL Suspension supplied and Fitted,
Dashboard fitted and covered,
Console fitted and covered,
All bracketry in place,
Handbrake brackets fitted,
Tanks supplied, fitted and ready for componentry,
Windscreen checked and ready for fitting,
Engine and Transaxle brackets.

In addition you can now purchase things like pre-bend brake hard lines, headers, modular wiring looms, EFI with preprogrammed ECU dual Maps – Road and Race loaded, instruments and Swaybars etc. If a client is uncomfortable with a section then we can gladly complete this for them.

I’ll leave it to the forum to comment on whether the members feel these are the “hard jobs” and once again comments welcome. We will support our clients diligently in any build issues they may have. I’d rather talk with someone when I have a query than get the “RTFM” treatment.

So yes there will be a build manual but more importantly we are here (as is the forum) to assist and support.

Thanks Dave, That sounds really good.

Let me know when your website is updated with the new info and I'll check it all out.

Heath

I think you'll find the mechanical stuff
not too hard to pick up, with a little help from friends. IMHO the challenge is working with fibreglass bodied cars. They are really
different than working with assembly line
steel bodied cars. A LOT of "massaging"
to get things right compared to buying a new
sheet metal fender from the dealer and bolting it on.

I hope you have friends that can do bodywork.
Otherwise be prepared for a major expense.

MikeD

Back