After images and information on MkIII GT40's

After images and information on MkIII GT40\'s

Hi All,

I am building a MkIII GT40 using a KVA body. I am very lucky in that I have access to chassis 1103 but I am curious about the other six cars. Where they are, what condition they are in, were they all built identical? If you know anything about any of the MkIII cars I would love to hear about it and pictures would be great!

Thanks

IainB

------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think training is expensive, look at the cost of ignorance.

Re: After images and information on MkIII GT40\'s

Stauffer's had angular vs. rounded side window rear lower corners.

Some of them have the steering wheel in the correct (left side) position /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IainB,
I'll cut you some slack and save you some time, but next time try the search function first. I venture to say there is little you can't find with it.

Here

Bill

Thanks to everyones comments so far. I wasn't being lazy I've done a few searches but not found a lot. For instance Bill the link you've shown me I'm confused by as the MkIII's I've seen so far have not had the racing style side windows and the gearstick is centrally positioned, correct me if I am wrong but that looks like a carpetted out MkII race car? Mark I also found the page you looked at thanks for adding it but most of the picture links don't work, shame as some of them look really good. Will continue the hunt, more curious than ever to find out what happened to these very limited number of cars, wonder what happened to Noel Edmunds one???

Thanks again....

IainB

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Iain,
The "Noel Edmund's car" was not a MkIII.
Chassis #1072 was issued Nov/1967 and was formerly a racer owned by John R.Cussins of Leeds.
It was a MkI, later retrofitted with MkIII window hardware and lime green upholstery. I think it is now residing in California.

Hi Jimmy,

Not being really old enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I only have vague memories of Noels car but I remembered the side windows which made me think it was a MkIII. Lime green interior, what was the man thinking!!! Thanks for the info though only five more to track down and I’ll be happy……..

Never know Mk.III had aluminium body, in the website is clear this.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MkIIIPrototype-01.jpg

Have to say, or is it just me but I think the head light array on the MkIII looks so much nicer than the race car with that little rectangle ones?

IainB

------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think training is expensive, look at the cost of ignorance.

Ian Clark

Supporter

Poalo,

Great pic, really got me wondering though. First I thought it was the prototype from which the mold was pulled for series production as panel beating was quick, available and relatively inexpensive back then.

But it has the late Mk1 lower nose section with the covered driving/park lamps, not Mk111 spec. Now I'm puzzeled...

There were a few aluminum bodies made for Mk1s (Alan Mann Racing) perhaps this is one of those noses or from the same source with a Mk111 type headlight assembly grafted inplace?

Anyways, I like the combination. Can anyone ad more to the mystery?

Cheers

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Here goes
3 from Le Mans Classic last year
White one was owned by a French speaker, who I think I p£$%ed off when I asked if it was a replica! He assured me it was original before storming off in a huff!

also shows sizes and lines of Mk1 Mk3 and the 2005 version

Ian

Attachments

• 65466-MK1MK3NEW.JPG
    65466-MK1MK3NEW.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 667

Thanks a lot for that Ian I really appreciate you feedback,

I would think it has at least had a respray as from what I've found so far is that only the Ford car used to advertise the MkIII was ever done in that livery as the customers who bouht them could choose pretty much any colour theey wanted. I know for a fact that the car I have access to, which is the same colour now started off life in a very deep purple red colour.

Any more out there, would still like to know more!

Hi Iain

Does 1103 still have the flared rear bodywork and the 5-spokes?

I think the white car in Ian's photos was the one that Ken Atwell took moulds off for the KVA. It was silver when I saw it at Ford's HQ in Brentwood many years ago. I'm not sure about the white/blue colour scheme now though.

Good luck.

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
Here goes
3 from Le Mans Classic last year
White one was owned by a French speaker, who I think I p£$%ed off when I asked if it was a replica! He assured me it was original before storming off in a huff!

[/ QUOTE ]
The registration number (DWC 8G) on the nose of the white car belongs to 1107, but I thought 1107 was a silver car that is still owned by Ford.

Hi Rob,

Don't know about the flared arches but it certainly has the five spokes fitted. I would guess it is in the same state as you last saw it though as it's not even had the engine turned over in ten years.

IainB

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

I understand that the MkIII car in the Beaulieu Museum has been owned privately for a number of years.

Back