Alex's SLC build thread

Alex,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build, my lines are stainless and routed on the outside, so I don't think my setup is helpful to you . Just FYI, Joel has videos about almost everything , of course all the build threads on this forum are super helpful to compare ideas,

The web site that I used the most due to the table of contents and ease of use is Cam's and due to the fact that we used exactly the same engine and transmission and a very similar approach to the build . I also love all the Cam's videos , they certainly helped keep me motivated.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. I am about to finish mine. Hoping to start driving to work on the SLC in the next couple of weeks before the primer and paint job.

Hector

Thank you Hector.

I am routing stainless outside also, almost completed. I have seen Joel's video, but it is different in the front end. Alan's video also has the car was without extended footbox.
I have check Cam build also!

Having the car almost ready to drive has to be very exciting ! congratulations!

Thank you Hector.

I am routing stainless outside also, almost completed. I have seen Joel's video, but it is different in the front end. Alan's video also has the car was without extended footbox.
I have check Cam build also!

Having the car almost ready to drive has to be very exciting ! congratulations!
It is incredibly exciting, been daydreaming about it for years, literally.

Thanks, stay the course , be consistent, work on it every week, don't get discouraged and you will get there. Remember is a marathon not a sprint. And don't be afraid to reach to others for help. Everyone here is super helpful in many different ways , I have gotten parts, tools, ideas , motivation, solutions from several members. Very thankful for that .

Hector

Brake lines are finished, happy with the result.

20240407_090958.jpg 20240407_090941.jpg20240407_090933.jpg20240407_090946.jpg20240407_090937.jpg 20240330_093027.jpg 20240329_163625.jpg20240329_132648.jpg

I tried to work on driver position yesterday, my steering column came on the car already. When the dash is on, it look like the steering column hold the dash .5" to the passenger side. What is making it harder to have the seat aligned with the steering wheel that is .5" on the wrong side.
Not sure how the steering column position is defined at RCR, should I try to relocate the steering column .5" on the side?
On the left, aligned but no room for cemter consol or even seat mount. On the right it is pretty off center
20240407_190845.jpg20240407_190838.jpg

Hey Alex, did you order your kit from RCR directly? Just curious because i noticed you have a steering rack, which is a good thing for you!

Joel K

Supporter
I tried to work on driver position yesterday, my steering column came on the car already. When the dash is on, it look like the steering column hold the dash .5" to the passenger side. What is making it harder to have the seat aligned with the steering wheel that is .5" on the wrong side.
Not sure how the steering column position is defined at RCR, should I try to relocate the steering column .5" on the side?
On the left, aligned but no room for cemter consol or even seat mount. On the right it is pretty off center
View attachment 137897View attachment 137898

Most builders angle the seat slightly toward the center. The steering wheel may need to be angled as well. if you want it lined up with your body which I recommend.

Mark B.

Supporter
I ended up re-drilling the mount holes for the steering rack about .5" after I got the body/dash in and set the final seat position at the same time.

I ended up re-drilling the mount holes for the steering rack about .5" after I got the body/dash in and set the final seat position at the same time.
I can see the dash is not center due to the column position. I might try to temporary fixe it .5 in to see how the position of the seat is. Anyway I don't know how the SLC seat mount can be used on the center console side, way too big.

Mark B.

Supporter
I can see the dash is not center due to the column position. I might try to temporary fixe it .5 in to see how the position of the seat is. Anyway I don't know how the SLC seat mount can be used on the center console side, way too big.
You have to orient them so the bolts that mounts to the floor are underneath the seat. Unless someone else found a different way.

You have to orient them so the bolts that mounts to the floor are underneath the seat. Unless someone else found a different way.
that's what I had in mind, but now the SLC is backward.... So I need to order new support
I am going to have a pile of useless parts at the end of this project with all the parts provided not working :D

Alex,

I have a design for custom seat brackets. We can custom design a set for your seat angle based on what you decide for mounting.

Yes, you will most likely end up with quite a collection of parts you decide to not use in your build.

Brake lines look good!! Nice work!

Alex:

A good piece of advice I got form Howard and Cam, make sure the steering wheel is centered on the seat, your legs will go a bit sideways to reach the pedals and that is not a problem , but the steering wheel MUST be centered to the seat , otherwise it will not be a good driving experience. Strong work on the brake lines.

Yes, lots of useless parts indeed!! FYI the ones that hurt me the most , time, financial and pride wise were the ones associated with the parking brake, the factory supplied set up WILL NOT, and I repeat WILL NOT hold the car in any kind of slope, (Cam told me and I did not listen) no matter what changes you try to make, I used the e brake , tried to maximize pads contact with the rotor, and the list goes on and on , nothing worked. I wasted countless hours and more than $3k , HUGE Ouchy, for nothing.

Finally installed an electronic Tesla parking brake and works perfectly, I think that was another $1k or so. So spent more than $4k for a working parking brake that will actually hold the car on any slope, I hope you don't make the same mistake.

Hector

Alex:

A good piece of advice I got form Howard and Cam, make sure the steering wheel is centered on the seat, your legs will go a bit sideways to reach the pedals and that is not a problem , but the steering wheel MUST be centered to the seat , otherwise it will not be a good driving experience. Strong work on the brake lines.

Yes, lots of useless parts indeed!! FYI the ones that hurt me the most , time, financial and pride wise were the ones associated with the parking brake, the factory supplied set up WILL NOT, and I repeat WILL NOT hold the car in any kind of slope, (Cam told me and I did not listen) no matter what changes you try to make, I used the e brake , tried to maximize pads contact with the rotor, and the list goes on and on , nothing worked. I wasted countless hours and more than $3k , HUGE Ouchy, for nothing.

Finally installed an electronic Tesla parking brake and works perfectly, I think that was another $1k or so. So spent more than $4k for a working parking brake that will actually hold the car on any slope, I hope you don't make the same mistake.

Hector

2006 passat rear caliper has an electric actuator, make a mount with a 1/4 steel plate. You can control it with an Arduino and a Pololu shield. You can even pipe in speed over canbus so the parking brake knows your velocity and can slowly clamp down creating an e-brake from an electric parking brake.

Joel K

Supporter
Alex,

I have a design for custom seat brackets. We can custom design a set for your seat angle based on what you decide for mounting.

Yes, you will most likely end up with quite a collection of parts you decide to not use in your build.

Kurt, I forgot the whole purpose of the seat brackets was to get them more in-board. Those steel brackets you made came out great.

Alex, if you want to get the seat more in board than the stock RCR brackets take a look at Kurt’s build page.

If you still want to use the RCR brackets but need one or two more with the lettering in the right direction I think I still have them. Just pay for shipping and I’ll send them to you.

Alex,

Thank you Kurt, I believe I have your drawing that I collected a year ago before ordering. where did you manufacture them?

Back