Alfa Romeo V6 and suitable transaxles

I am looking for any information about mating an Alfa Romeo 2.5 or 3.0L V6 to a suitable transaxle. From the research I have done, there are plenty of options and a few people have made bell housings to mate various units to awesome sounding Alfa V6. Looks like it comes down to budget, as I've seen anything from Hewland's and ZF's, to Alfasud transaxles and everything in between. I guess it fundamentally comes down to budget, as anything is possible with enough time and money :) I've looked closely at the Porsche 944/968 gearboxes, but searching these forums has proved they are not suitable for a mid-mount application.

After searching these forums, the Audi 016 unit seems like a pretty good option. It is quite cheap, pretty robust (I'm only planning on 300HP max), and quite common. The Renault unit as fitted to the R20 has been mentioned, but having owned an R20 I absolutely loathed the shift mechanism (it was like stirring a bowl of custard).

What am I building? The plan is to construct a variation of Alfa Romeo's prototype Alfasprint 6c, an Alfasud Sprint with a longitudally mounted V6. But instead of the Sprint, my brother and I have opted for the more curvatious Alfasud. Before we get stuck into this project, the gearbox really needs to be decided ASAP in order to correctly engineer the rear subframe assembly that will hold the engine/gearbox/suspension. The Giacatollo is another variation on this theme, Australia's first supercar of which only 15 or so were made (using a Holden/GM V8 with ZF transaxle same as fitted to the Pantera). I should also mention that the Alfa V6 engine we intend to use will be from either an Alfa 75/90/6/GTV6, not a transverse 164, or 156 (although they can be used, with modification).

Any comments or criticism would be most appreciated!

~Benjamin

I must have missed something… Wouldn’t the most obvious choice be an Alfa Romeo transaxle? These are used in 75/90/GTV. Such gearbox is used in the replica below.

Attachments

• alfa_slask.jpg
    alfa_slask.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 582
I should have discussed this in my original post above! The original 75/90/GTV transaxle is too long, and the driveshafts are at the wrong end of the gearbox:
d681_1.JPG

I need a transaxle with the output driveshafts located between the gearbox and the
the input shaft/clutch housing.

Having searched the net for a couple of days on this topic, the Audi 016 unit seems to be the most favourable for my application, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has done the same before I start scrounging around wrecking yards...

~Benjamin

UN1 renault box should hold up without to many problems, adaptor plates are however not availeble of the shelf for these engines but one can be made up offcourse.

or the clutch housing modified to fot the Un1.

grtz Thomas

Or a Porsche 914 or Boxster transaxle... They still need to be adapted, but the shift linkage will probably be easier. Custom adapter and flywheel also needed.

Back