American Ambassador killed in Libya

Keith

It's not just Muslims who are offended by religious jokes though. I seem to recall one Jerry Falwell, being angered to the point of lawsuit! by one Larry Flint and a parody in Hustler:

Wow, I didn't know that - being angered to the point of lawsuit is a quite scary caucasian fundamentalist tactic.

Many embassies destroyed? What was the eventual body count?

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Trying to shut down free speech in the US? Yeah, pretty serious stuff. Of course, you guys on the islands don't take it as seriously as we do so I understand your confusion.......

Keith

I am beginning to wonder when your 1st Amendment will get more people killed in the world than the various nutcase religions (amongst other things) it was presumably designed to "protect".

Your 1st Amendment sucks in it's current form and should be Amended. Problem is, the Box is now open and you won't get any of it back in.

It should not be a license to offend with impunity. Of course, self restraint is a rare commodity in the USA.

Cue Crack.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I respect almost all of the UK's culture, laws and so on. But one thing we got right was the 1st Amendment. It's the basic freedom from which all others flow.

I agree that the RIGHT to say anything, basically, doesn't mean you always should. But it certainly is rather funny to hear such an opponent of political correctness rail on about avoiding offending people, or self restraint. Priceless really.

Last edited:

Keith

But it certainly is rather funny to hear such an opponent of political correctness rail on about avoiding offending people, or self restraint. Priceless really.

I think you got the wrong person Jeff. I am not opposed to anything reasonable.

Crack 'rails' - I don't.

I am, however, a fan of organic development rather than social engineering by college trained theorists.

Law and democracy largely depend on the tacit consent & self restraint of the people. Unfortunately certain political hues, instead of encouraging self restraint, education & personal responsibility merely sling another Law at it to prevent the Letter of same being circumvented, thus we become drones following numbers or decrees and lose the will and the skill of self determination.

That's what I am not in favour of...

There is a difference between political correctness and simply trying not to offend someone. If you think the two are the same, then heaven help us, this may help to expain the entrenched nature of many posts in here?

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I fully understand if you have to read this twice. Normally, i'm a far right fascist dog. However, during my day to day duties, i meet and do business with several Muslims.
I always greet them with the normal ' salaam alaikum ', one has to be polite.
It wasn't me that raised the issue about the recent ' unrest ' in certain parts of the Muslim world, it was infact raised by one of them. I spoke my mind, naturally, you guys by now know i don't give a shet about maintaining a ' face '. I told him that these so called Muslims must be very unsure of their religion if they are offended by a stupid video and that if it was Christians instead, 99% would just dismiss it.
Check this out, and remember how a reference to pork is taken in the Muslim world.
To quote his reply ... " These so called Muslims are just poorly educated pigs..." I was gobsmacked, to say the least..
Unfortunately for us, there are many more millions of " them " than there are Muslims who have been 'enlightened' by living in the western world..
Thats the problem.

On our Dutch car forum someone send in this video which explains a lot about them and other religions...and why we thought it was...because they told us so on school.

its a long video, about 45min but very interesting, although with my head and being Dutch some things went past my brains, but most I understood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y]Why We Are Afraid, A 1400 Year Secret, by Dr Bill Warner - YouTube[/ame]

Um, it was Life of Brian that parodied the life of Jesus. Holy Grail just made fun of people who thought a lake tart giving them a sword was a sound basis for governance.

It's not just Muslims who are offended by religious jokes though. I seem to recall one Jerry Falwell, being angered to the point of lawsuit! by one Larry Flint and a parody in Hustler:

Hustler Magazine v. Falwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The video is offensive. It's also 100% acceptable in the US because we have the 1st Amendment. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Angered to the point of lawsuit? Oh my God, is that the step after attacking embassies and killing? Glad that didn't happen! Wrong film, sorry, they should have attacked the British embassy over The Life of Brian. The Muslim video is slapstick and stupid, but any excuse will do. Had that video been about Christ, no one would have ever heard about it. We just need people to whine about how offensive it is.

Keith

Check this out, and remember how a reference to pork is taken in the Muslim world.
To quote his reply ... " These so called Muslims are just poorly educated pigs..." I was gobsmacked, to say the least..

Agree with what you say Andy - there must be millions like him. However, unless they take positive action (not violent!) to isolate the fundamentalists amongst themselves, they will all start to look similar through Western eyes - given our penchant for racial stereotyping, if they don't already. I believe millions of genuine Muslims are quite afraid now of these inevitable consequences in the West.

I would also comment that I am not at all sure that for an educated Middle Eastern gentleman, the experience of living in the West could be called 'enlightening', different possibly, but not enlightening.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
. Had that video been about Christ, no one would have ever heard about it. We just need people to whine about how offensive it is.

Uh, wrong. You happen to recall the Christian right nonsense over the "Last Temptation of Christ?" Holy shit! Jesus fucked Mary Magadele! BURN THE WITCH!

In a nutshell.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 137
I know I have joined this debate late (some of us have to work for a living ;) ) I think it's wrong to judge these people by our standards. We live on a lot more than a dollar a day, we have access to meny forms of information with which to form opinions, and we are taught from a young age to think for ourselves.

These three things bare no relationship to the people who are protesting, these people have none of these things.

And the attack on the US embassy in Libya was an organised attack by an Al-Quida affiliated organisation, and an attack with which most Libyans are disgusted.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jon,

They are so disgusted that they have handed the culprits over to the authorities and they have been duly executed, huh ????
NOT.....

Uh, wrong. You happen to recall the Christian right nonsense over the "Last Temptation of Christ?" Holy shit! Jesus fucked Mary Magadele! BURN THE WITCH!

I remember those riots well, I shudder at the thought. Why do 1.3 billion people need you to defend them? Your not making a whole lot of sense. Would you put in print about Mohammad and a women he knew, what you just said about Jesus? I'd be happy to circulate it on the internet for you.

Agree with what you say Andy - there must be millions like him. However, unless they take positive action (not violent!) to isolate the fundamentalists amongst themselves, they will all start to look similar through Western eyes - given our penchant for racial stereotyping, if they don't already. I believe millions of genuine Muslims are quite afraid now of these inevitable consequences in the West.

Jon,

They are so disgusted that they have handed the culprits over to the authorities and they have been duly executed, huh ????
NOT.....

Are we really so different?

I was bought up a Catholic and can remember many Catholics and non Catholics condemning the IRA, can't remember much of it being done in public though, although I was very young at the time.

However, and I may be wrong but I can not remember anyone handing over the culprits to the authorities.

It would be a very brave person that would put their life, or possibly even more importantly their children and family’s lives at risk by turning in a terrorist.

Not sure I could do it, like the majority on all sides I just want to live in peace, terrorists function by instilling terror.

So whilst I doubt I would ever risk my life by handing one in if I ever came across one I also refuse to be terrorised by them, (from the safety of my armchair).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udf_BV4CayU[/ame]

The remarkable Colin Parry starts his talk just after 13 minutes
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2qAYMfHFio[/ame]

Last edited:
Back