America's Dumbest War Ever

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't know if Obama would have STARTED the wars we are in. But for someone who beats the drum about getting us OUT of these engagements, regardless of who started them, he's not moving nearly as fast as he ought to be. And I suspect that the CIA and US armed services are conducting a lot more combat activities with drones etc than they are letting on. And, even if it doesn't involve live soldiers on the front, those activities are war- ask the folks on the receiving end, plus if they get fed up enough they'll bring it back to us. Maybe they've already begun to do that.

England hasn't exactly sat on it's hands over time, but neither has any other large country. To expect that some time we will live in a completely peaceful world is not realistic. People can't even get along with their neighbors.
Wasn't Iran screwing around in Iraq a few years back? Left that off the chart.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
England hasn't exactly sat on it's hands over time, but neither has any other large country. To expect that some time we will live in a completely peaceful world is not realistic. People can't even get along with their neighbors.

Tom,

Actually the Iran, Iraq war started 09/22/1980 when Iraq attacked Iran.

And we were attacked by a group in Afghanistan from a number of Arab countries, ironically most of which were Saudi, our buddies.

Keith

Pretty much because recently the US has been adept at forming a "coalition of the willing$$$$" oops, where did those dollar signs come from?

Despite a billion casualties, the two protagonists you mention never got much past throwing rocks and scuds at each other across the Shatt al-Arab including chemical weapons.

What is interesting though is that this is possibly what made Saddam think he could get away with anything in the region as he was well supplied by the US (they never really got over the overthrow of the Peacock Throne) and to a lesser degree by the UK, which actions paved the way for Gulf 1, Gulf 2, 9/11 and Assfuckistan and now the whole fucking Middle east.

Own goal.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
But the Muslim Brotherhood are our friends, Obama said so! No need to worry.

Tom, just as in any subculture there will be a renegade population. Within the Muslims the majority are peace loving people, but the Jihadists are the "renegade population" within the Muslim subculture. We Anglo-Saxons have our "Skinheads", who seem to think it is OK to shoot up a "church" full of peaceful worshiping Sikhs, just because they think the turbans on their heads makes them Jihadists...then the coward turns the gun on himself (with the end result appearing much as the cowardly "suicide bombers" achieve in their violent deeds).

To condemn ALL Muslim Brotherhood individuals is just as wrong as saying all blacks or all Hispanics or all Asians are despicable...or all Catholics or all Methodists or all Baptists or all MORMONS (get the hint there????).

I realize you're just taking a swipe at B.O.......just think you could easily have found a more appropriate manner in which to do so.

We should all be united in our efforts to get our respective governments to withdraw all our military, and perhaps all our diplomatic, personnel from Afghanistan and Iraq and Iran and everywhere else our "help" is NOT wanted...regardless of who is POTUS or how well we feel he has handled the job.

Bring our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, all our loved ones home...ALL of them, then drop that wonderful "Bucket full of LIGHT" David so eloquently mentioned in another post, destroy the poppy fields and the offensive Jihadists in ONE act of overpowering power. Sure, Pakistan has nuclear capability....but if the world is united in this act, Pakistan would surely see the futility of retaliation. A WWIII might happen, but it would not be one like WWI and WWII with soldiers on the ground, it would be absolutely "remote-controlled". Drones, ICBM's, etc....if we really want to DEFEAT THEM, it's the only way.

On the other hand, we can just withdraw and let them have at each other as they have for milleniums....and not just in the middle east, all over the world. Isolationism???? Perhaps, but we're unwanted, we're sitting ducks, and we're squandering our best in the process of what we are doing now, which seems to be the very definition of insanity...."persisting in a repetitive act and expecting a different outcome".

I guess the ramifications of dropping that "bucket of light" are so significant that I'm more in favor of leaving them to go at each other, but the "hawk" in me sure does want some revenge :idea:

This REALLY IS a stupid war....but most are, aren't they?

Doug

Keith

You never wanted to actually DEFEAT them, you just wanted to put a McDonald's and a Taco Bell on each street corner!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
But the Muslim Brotherhood are our friends, Obama said so! No need to worry.

Tom, you are going to have to show us where President Obama said that "the Muslim Brotherhood are our friends".

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Please,

You folks know that if we were to drop a "Bucket full of LIGHT" on anyone in the Middle East, that they would not rest until they returned that favor!

Please explain how an attomic bomb detination in New York Harbor would be worth it?

Thank GOD we have "cowards" as David says running our military!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Los Angeles Times Aug 18, 2009
PHOENIX — Speaking to more than 5,500 veterans, President Obama on Monday renewed his commitment to dismantling Al Qaeda in Afghanistan -- a struggle he said was "fundamental to the defense of our people" -- and offered assurances that his healthcare overhaul would not touch veterans' medical benefits.

"This is not a war of choice. This is a war of necessity," Obama told the annual Veterans of Foreign Wars conference -- cautioning that the insurgency would not be defeated overnight. "Those who attacked America on 9/11 are plotting to do so again. If left unchecked, the Taliban insurgency will mean an even larger safe haven from which Al Qaeda would plot to kill more Americans."

How's that working? The Taliban is far from defeated and the death toll is now 2,000. They have spread to Africa and the BBC reports "Since the "troop surge" announced by President Obama in 2010, coalition forces have been able to dislodge the Taliban from their entrenched positions in Kandahar and Helmand. But the insurgency has now spread wider, to areas around the capital, Kabul, and even to the formerly peaceful provinces of northern Afghanistan.
The Taliban now seem to be relying more on suicide bombings, and spectacular gun-and-bomb attacks to hit targets of great psychological value.
And there is an unending supply of new - and better trained - fighters entering Afghanistan from Pakistani areas, notably Waziristan."

On a side note, those "veterans benefits" Mr. Obama wouldn't touch have a 17% premium increase going into effect starting today. Total health care fees are expected to triple in the next five years. To add to the misery, military retirement will abandon the comparability standard to civilian pay, limiting military raises to 0.5% for FY15, 1% for FY16 and 1.5% for FY17.
Somehow Mr. Obama forgot to mention any of this when he campaigned in military communities in Virginia this past week.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Please,

You folks know that if we were to drop a "Bucket full of LIGHT" on anyone in the Middle East, that they would not rest until they returned that favor!

Please explain how an attomic bomb detination in New York Harbor would be worth it?

Thank GOD we have "cowards" as David says running our military!!!!!!

Yeah, I know, Jim. It's not the best answer :shy:....and I'm not upset with Obama like many of the other posters are, he actually carried through on his campaign promise to stage a withdrawal from Afghanistan, didn't he (as compared to McCain's promise to expand the war efforts in the region)? I am upset with the way the middle-easterners have treated our military (even though I am firmly convinced that had any other country attempted to intervene in our own Civil War in the 1860's we would have treated them equally badly...in fact, there's something in my mind that says France did try to do something, perhaps you can verify that for me??? I freely admit history was never one of my better subjects, and I know how knowledgable you are regarding history :thumbsup: ).

Anyway....I was just dreaming out loud....as I said, it's just a desire for revenge, we've lost SO many of our young Americans in that region of the world and now it looks like the Taliban will have some sort of involvement in the interim government in Afghanistan...it sounds like we are worse off than when we started there, all those lives lost for nothing :stunned: gained.

Once again, I blame congress. The authority to declare war rests with them....or, at least it did until they refused to use that authority and it was usurped by the executive branch of the government. We Americans should have stopped that with the Korean conflict....but, as history so aptly demonstrates, give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile :thumbsdown: .

Doug

Keith

This is an interesting conversation that affects everyone globally. No one knows the answer but if enough people discuss it evenly with some kind of respect there may be found some answers.

Disrespectfully then, may I just ask for one fucking thread can we keep the fucking US elections out of it?

Please?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I resemble Keiths comment about election bull shit. Who ever goes forward , they've got a moutain to climb so it really doesn't matter.
If you all spent as much time writing letters to your elected leaders as much as it seems most here expend their time writing total political bullshit on this web site, this crazy war would be over by now. Please guys - use your intellect to a much better effect and tell the leaders what you believe to be right. Tell them they have thousands of peoples blood on their hands. Tell them there will be no place for them when some sort of reckoning happens - it will be gehenna - the lake of fire - or the armageddon. (a bit of ancient Greek to cheer them up......)
Oh - and some of us should run it through a 'spall chicker' first as well
as we don't want the leaders to think we are a dumb bunch of shits.
Even if it might be true......

Back