Anyone have a F5000 car?

:thumbsup:Hi Tom,
Can I get in on that deal at Pacific Raceways? I would think Neil would want to play as well. I think we could have five or six GT40's there at one time?

Steve

Of course, all are welcome. I am the HPDE chairman for the club and I will get the 40's in. I am not sure if I should have the particulars and dates here or start another thread. I don't want to hijack this thread.

I talked to Ian a few months ago at a Cobra get together and he is all in for a track day. The Porsche club has 7 this year starting in April and one each month until october.

Feel free to pm me and I'll call you directly.

Tom

Hi Tom, please, go right ahead and hijack the thread! That would be a lot of fun. I doubt my lowly audi 016 box would go more than a couple of laps of SIR before imploding but hey, I need to change it out anyway.....

ps. I did a lot of SIR track days quite some years ago with the porsche club - was driving a hot rod '70 911 at the time and it was very enjoyable. Very safe and sane fun, but most guys were really getting on it. I imagine not much has changed, but I don't know. I'd love to run the 40 out there.

The Porsche Club dates are as follows

April 29 thu
May 22 sat
June 10 thu
July 21 wed (my son's 18th birthday and his first day at the track)
Aug 18 wed
Sept 3 fri
Sept 30 thu

The cost this year is $205 which includes lunch and an instructor all day. Something that is also fun is you can ride with your or another instructor. There are 4 run groups so drivers will be matched up with like skill and cars. This makes it fun for everyone. A ground school is required for first timers and people that havn't been to our event in over 2 years as a refresher.

Our club does lock out the registration for the first couple of weeks for the club members have first shot, then it is opened up to others.

Our registration is www.motorsportreg.com It requires a registration with the web site, than it opens up to alot of tracks, their events, calendar items, payment and registration of events etc.. Our club has had a great experience with using them for registering our events.

Helmets this year is still snell 2000. Next year the snell 2005 will be the new requirement

I am looking forward to this next years season and having other 40s join me there.

Any specific questions feel free to contact me

Cliff

I do have a Formula 5000, a 1969 McLaren M10 A, chassis # 07.
I agree with most of the comments said above... race cars are race cars, and they are expensive to run, you have to pay constant attention to them, rebuilds.... if you want to play safe.

On the other hand, I think I would feel better if I have to repair or rebuild a modern replica after track days and accidents, than if I have to rebuild one of the only 17 chassis built by McLaren/Trojan in 1969.
And rebuilding the replica would be cheaper for sure than rebuilding any of those historic formula cars.

As Dave stated above there are plenty of possibilities these days out there to get a sexy car at a very good price. On top of that, running costs for those vehicles will have nothing to do with the expense of running any racing car.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

JP

Beautiful car !

F5000 cars are easy to drive right up until the point they crash. They are big go-carts.
The DG300 will take 550hp very well. Great transmission. The tires if NEW run good right
from the get go if they are clean. Open wheel cars usually have to run separate from closed wheels.
To get started it would be best to get a momentum car such as a swift and learn to carry speed through corners. That said my first serious race car was a Lola T332 which was the most successful F5000 chassis.
They demand tinkering and there is no driver protection. Get a good fire suit and system.
Once you drive one you will be addicted.

Thanks Johan.

It has got also a great provenance and a complete/clear history line. When I bought the car I got a huge file with it, which included the original hand written set up notes from the first owner, canadian privateer Roger McCaig.

I love it. Really a work of art.

JP

Back