Audi 6 speed transaxles

Hi Guys
Im looking for a suitabe audi transaxe to use with a sbf with 330-360 hp, i find all the different types and numbers for these units quite interesting.
What would be the best model to use 5 or 6 speed.
I have a lead on a A6 V6 2wd 1996 gearbox what model code would this be?

thanks

Adrian

I wonder does anyone know the differences between an 01W and an 01E?

I'm not so interested in gear ratios and what power it'll take (I'm pretty sure it won't cope for long) but more dimensions (mountings, flanges and input shaft).

I'm after an 01E but at the moment there is a 01W up locally for very cheap on ebay, if the 01E is externally the same dimensions as the 01W I'll buy it and then buy an 01E nearer when I actually need it (or if one comes up at the right price).

For that matter anyone know the differences between the 01E and the other 01? range?

I've never heard of an 01W. There's an 01X but it's torque capacity is much less than the 01E it is also a bit different dimensionally.

If it's a CYB then the ratios should be included on the spreadsheet I posted (thanks for the compliment, BTW). Generally speaking, the 2WD 01E trnsaxles all have very good gear ratios. As far as I can tell, the best "factory" 01E box is the EKN, as it was used in the heaviest car (the A8) and is the only 2WD 01E transaxle that is outfitted with an oil pump. Again, generally speaking, Getrag has steadily improved the 01E boxes over time, most notably by using a wider fifth gear in later models. Accordingly, I would prefer to have a DQS model because it was introduced in the A6 in 1998, over the older ARX model, which was used in the A6 from 1995 to 1997. And although the parts database doesn't specify metallurgical differences in the transaxles, I would think that if one is indeed stronger than the other, then the strongest boxes would've been used in the heavier A8s. The A8s used CYB, EKN, and FRM boxes.

Hi,

I am looking for clarification on what the 4th ratio of the CYB transaxle actually is.

Mark Worthington's spreadsheet mentions a ratio of 1.03 for 4th gear.

The Audi online parts catalogue features a contradiction.
On one page it mentions 30/28 (=1.071)
On another page it mentions 28/30 (=0.933)

Some other online sources also mention a 0.933 ratio for 4th gear, such as this data sheet from Audi.de.

(Mark's sheet, the online catalogue and Audi's data sheet mention the same ratios for other CYB gears).

Can someone please confirm what the ratio for 4th gear actually is?

Thanks much in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking for clarification on what the 4th ratio of the CYB transaxle actually is.

Mark Worthington's spreadsheet mentions a ratio of 1.03 for 4th gear.

The Audi online parts catalogue features a contradiction.
On one page it mentions 30/28 (=1.071)
On another page it mentions 28/30 (=0.933)

Some other online sources also mention a 0.933 ratio for 4th gear, such as this data sheet from Audi.de.

(Mark's sheet, the online catalogue and Audi's data sheet mention the same ratios for other CYB gears).

Can someone please confirm what the ratio for 4th gear actually is?

Thanks much in advance.

I'll have to find a 4th gear with the proper part number to verify but i think the ratio is 1.07.

Last edited:
Back