Authenticity

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Wow Scott - that is a lot of cars and yet I never really see that many Tornadoes around in the UK. Which country has taken the most? Probably this is a better question for Andy Sheldon.
Dave.

I appreciate the input. This is what it's all about. I've learned a great deal so far. Looks like no one makes a 100% exact replica of the GT 40. Some closer than others. I honestly thought the new Ford GT was a modernized GT 40. I was wrong and wouldn't have realized it if it weren't for this forum. Beleive me, you guys are a big help and actually some of the nicest posters on any forum I've been on. Since I can't get an exact replica, I may have to modify what I do get. I used to work in a steel shop. As far as skills, I can weld and what I can't do, I have friends who can help. I can get any type of metal I need locally and in any guage. I can have it cut, punched, or bent into any shape I need. About the only thing I cant do myself is upholstry or glass work, therefore; I buy the body, dash, and seats. A Ford engine will be the cheapest part of the build. Making it go fast will, of course, cost, but I've got friends who can help with that. Ex racers. I mean really; this is the South! Birthplace of NASCAR (even though I hate NASCAR and am a die-hard F1 fan). I think it's time for me to:dead:.

Thanks

Technically speaking, there is nothing "authentic" about any replica, kit car, recreation, continuation, resumption etc. so spend accordingly.

If anything, the mono's out there 'emulate' the real deal, some better than others.

Chris

GT40s are complicated cars and expensive. You are trying to go the most expensive route by doing it a little at a time, and will likely run into far more problems than you can imagine by doing it that way. I understand your reasoning, but the reality is that buying a package or a mostly completed used car is by far the least expensive route to take. In fact, in todays market, used is the only way to go. BTW, SPf is the only MONO that is very close to an original in any great numbers here in the US, and it is not available as a kit.

For most home builders this car is by far one of the most complicated, time consuming and costly to put together if going on your own. It is very involved so be prepared to fork over the $ and time. Sometimes if on a budget, you can space the spending through a manufacture that allows for a "stage build". I've been at it for what seems like decades, time to spend on the build has been my enemy.

Time + $ + Time + $ = one GT40. ;)

Chris

Gurn Wes,

My chassis is #875.

Tornado has been producing GT40 replicas for 20 years now, an average of over 43 kits per year.

Our cars have been continually upgraded/developed/refined over this period.

A small portion of completed TS40's can be viewed here;

Gallery Pictures

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott. Exactly what I was looking for. Would be equally interesting to see some pics from e.g. Gelscoe, Mirage, etc and get a round figure of the cars/chassis/kits delivered as to date.

Best regards /B

ps. Very nice pice pics of Tornados

Well, bottom line is: It's still a replica, copy, clone, or whatever. It's also a "kit car". I don't like those terms used on the Lola or GT40s. The term "kit car" brings back visions of Bradley, Fiberfab, Lazer, etc... and then I think of VW. What we're building are essentially street legal racecars (racecar spelled backwards is racecar). Lightweight chasis, composite body (the same as a racecar) and behemoth engines (what're we looking at with a 427; around 800BHP). Far cry from a VW. None the less, they're still not factory built cars like Ferrari, Corvette, (or Lotus:laugh:) although they'd probably smoke any of those. Anyway, I was leaning toward Tornado 'cause it will be the least expensive way to get my feet wet. Plus, they're the oldest and have assured me I'd have no problem purchasing what I need as budget allowed. Their rep is very helpful, too. THAT matters. I have, however; noticed that no one here has suggested the Tornado kit when I was soliciting opinions. Hmmm... Now I'm seriously thinking about maybe waiting 'til I have a little more funds(as per some opinions here) and I do like the RCR and CAV. The only personal drawback I have with Tornado is, although they probably have the lightest frame, it seems to be the farthest removed from the original GT40. This is no biggie to me 'cause I can do anything to steel or aluminiumn. Problem is; I'd spend close to $2K for shipping alone. If they were here in the U.S. and could get their package without that shipping, I'd go with them hands down. Well, I hope to be on some of the other portions soon asking questions like "which cam, etc...?"

Well, bottom line is: It's still a replica, copy, clone, or whatever. It's also a "kit car". I don't like those terms used on the Lola or GT40s. The term "kit car" brings back visions of Bradley, Fiberfab, Lazer, etc... and then I think of VW. What we're building are essentially street legal racecars (racecar spelled backwards is racecar). Lightweight chasis, composite body (the same as a racecar) and behemoth engines (what're we looking at with a 427; around 800BHP). Far cry from a VW. None the less, they're still not factory built cars like Ferrari, Corvette, (or Lotus:laugh:) although they'd probably smoke any of those. Anyway, I was leaning toward Tornado 'cause it will be the least expensive way to get my feet wet. Plus, they're the oldest and have assured me I'd have no problem purchasing what I need as budget allowed. Their rep is very helpful, too. THAT matters. I have, however; noticed that no one here has suggested the Tornado kit when I was soliciting opinions. Hmmm... Now I'm seriously thinking about maybe waiting 'til I have a little more funds(as per some opinions here) and I do like the RCR and CAV. The only personal drawback I have with Tornado is, although they probably have the lightest frame, it seems to be the farthest removed from the original GT40. This is no biggie to me 'cause I can do anything to steel or aluminiumn. Problem is; I'd spend close to $2K for shipping alone. If they were here in the U.S. and could get their package without that shipping, I'd go with them hands down. Well, I hope to be on some of the other portions soon asking questions like "which cam, etc...?"

I mentioned Tornado a few times. The reason they didn't figure prominently was you
desire for a more local provider. Tornado is NOT the farthest removed from original, and
the distance is not that far anyway. Basically, spaceframe vs. mono is the biggest
difference.

Honestly, Tornado is probably closest to what you want - able to start with body and
chassis, and get chunks of the kit as you go.

Oh, and I would seriously reconsider 800 HP if you are serious. The originals made do
with far less ('68/'69 JW Gulfs had under 450 HP), and you will be spending a large
chunk of money trying to find a transaxle that can handle 800 HP (probably double
a body and chassis from Tornado + shipping).

Ian

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Ian

Thanks for the mention.

Mark

I am also very disappointed with the lack of support shown by our customers.

I can think of quite a few who visit this forum. You know who you are.

As for thr 2K shipping you would save it many times over.

Thanks

Andy

Mark, Whatever you decide...the very best of luck to you. I own a CAV and have been getting the car "sorted" since its purchase. Its part of the fun...although some of the engine issues I'm having are getting old. But that's not CAV's fault. I related to your comment about the term "kit-car". I shudder everytime I hear the phrase used. But, to be fair, once a person observes the car up close and personal they can tell very quickly its not a Bradley GT or that its built on a VW chassis and I'm sure the same can be said for whatever car you chose of those mentioned in this thread so far. I know CAV is now selling their cars in kit form and are located in NC. Give them a call and ask for Johann. He's always been a source of comfort to me. Their SS chassis is a work of art IMHO. I'll look forward to reading what you deicide. Don't leave it too long beacuse the roads are waiting....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree with the above as far as the amount of power you need to make a GT40 go fast. It is FAR less than 800 hp- half that would do nicely. You are talking about a car that weighs maybe 2500 lbs, even with one of us fat middleaged guys in it, and most of the transaxles have fairly steep final drive ratios. Plus the car has very little drag. My Cobra, with a 3.73 FDR and Tremec 600 and a 340 hp engine (tops) will peel the tires in the first three gears with no trouble at all. How fast do you have to go..the problem with huge engines is all that waste heat that has to go somewhere. You are better off with a more tractable engine which you then bury your foot in, rather than too much engine for the car and the consequent cooling and transaxle problems.

I think the bottom line in which car to buy is to find a company whose car you like and an intermediary whom you trust- the person/company who sells you the car may not be the people who make it. Like if you buy an SPF your real contact is the dealer in the USA- you aren't going to be dealing with HiTech in SA. So you need to be comfortable with the salesperson and their organization and their reputation. There ARE a fair number of Tornado owners on the forum- if they like their cars, they ought to speak up in favor of them. To be fair, ERA has been at this as long as anyone, but we don't have a lot of ERA owners here, as far as I know. Maybe not all GT40 enthusiasts want to hang out here with us. Their loss :)

Keith

Perhaps you should concentrate less on Limoncello and get out more then, eh skipper?;)

Shouldn't diss Skippers mate.... They Have Control :whip:

ProperSkipper.png

Ugh....no activity since 2011.

My guess is that he's finished his build, is now driving his perfect GT40 replica, and has moved on to building a wooden yacht.

Hope all is well Andrew.

I don't think he could make up his mind...perhaps a dream that came and went.
It is hard to pull the trigger sometimes, and 800 HP is asking for trouble I think.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think Courtney would laugh at a wee little man 800hp and raise you 8000hp

courtney-force-pretty-in-pink.jpg

Back