Avon CR6ZZ tyres, what size

Hi all

I know there are probably a heap of these posts but each car is different so I am going to ask anyway.

I am looking to fit 15"BRM 6 spoke knock on wheels to my car. I will run the standard 8" wide front wheels and 10" wide rears.

I know I want Avon CR6ZZ's as a lot of owner rate them highly but I need to know what size I need to order. I want to achieve a low aggressive pumped up look.

Something like this, looks perfect:
imagefetch.ashx

imagefetch.ashx

Trev

Brian Stewart
Supporter
And the fronts should be 215/60VR15. Some will argue that you should go for wider ones, but the Avon 225 or 245 are produced only in 65 and 60 aspect ratio respectively and, in my opinion these will look too high.

Trevor,
I know you are a stickler these days... I understand you need to go for 24" high tyres on the front and 26" on the rear to make the car 'sit' right.

Out with your calculator and PieD calcs then ;)

Trevor,
I know you are a stickler these days... I understand you need to go for 24" high tyres on the front and 26" on the rear to make the car 'sit' right.

Out with your calculator and PieD calcs then ;)

Thanks Brett. Yeah definitely becoming a stickler for the details as i was recently advised by a member to take a step away from building and to work out all the parts I want and how each part will effect the other so effectively work outside in.

So starting to put together a list tyres & wheels then suspension, shocks, etc. As the size of the tyre/wheel will effect the ride height so will dictate size of brakes to use and suspension setup and geometry which then dictates the shocks to use etc.

Personally I'd rather start bolting bits on the car as soon as I can but being clear on the parts, settings etc should ensure a better finished car and that everything matches up correctly.

Trev

Ok so thanks to a handy online calculator I've worked out the following:

Rear: 295/50/15 = 26.61 inches overall tyre diameter
Front: 215/60/15 = 25.16 inches overall tyre diameter

So am I right in thinking the fronts are a little too big to get the 26" rear, 24" front authentic stance. Also Brian's front tyre choice has a higher tyre profile height (60) than the rears, is this correct and will that mean the front's look chunkier than the rears?

The calculator suggests a 225/50/15 would be 23.86 inches but I've no idea if this is a suitable size

Trev

I stand corrected, Brian was spot on. Just found another picture of the pathfinder GT40R showing the front tyres, they are indeed 215\60R15

RtFrtGrndwTireOpenDoor.jpg

Hi Trev,
Just a small note of caution, make sure your clearances are ok regarding the 295 width as you will presumably be mounting them on 12" wheels. As you probably are aware Avon also produce a 275/55
Incidentally, I have used them on my 40 to great effect, lots of grip in all conditions but wear rates can be fairly high.
Chris

Trev, good choice - have the same dimensions on my car (although it's a lowly BF Goodrich tire...) and it looks just right to my eye, with no rubbing....

Back