Back Up Camera

Have a look at the new cameras in the Kuga/Escape (yes, I work for Ford for everyone who has forgotten). They mount in the tailgate and I am impressed with the clarity that it offers (actually that and the new Focus too) over the previous models and the angles of vsibility. It would be relatively easyto mount in the number plate area

I seem to remember here in the EU we also had a backup camera screen that turned on in the rear camera (also have seen it in a friend's F150 Harley), so I assume you could modify to have a switch to turn it on/off rather than just the reverse

Ian,
Not entirely clear what you are suggesting(my phone is smarter than me), but you got me to thinking. With so many versions out there of both Apple and Android, why not buy one off of Ebay for next to nothing(quick search on Ebay range from $40-300) and make it a permanent part of the car. A bracket or housing should be an easy adaptation or build. Total cost would be around $150. That is less than other ccd setups.
On another note, I was cruising the Android apps site and saw an app that searches for free Wi Fi sites. Would a GPS app work on these. If so then you could use the smart phone above for GPS info as well. I ask this because I may retire next year and that means fewer funds to play with. Will probably switch to a lower rate phone with fewer features.

Bill

after trying several cameras i ended up using this one as my rear view mirror in my sl-c. I like it

Accelevision RVC1200IR Reverse Image Back Up Camera IR

Some things to note

*you want about 120* viewing angle; anymore and you fisheye

*you want good quality ccd, not cmos

*the camera has to be for backup purposes (image flip) - you can't just take any camera and stick it back there and expect the image to be proper

*you want at least a 7'' viewing screen, a rear-view sized viewer will not be remotely acceptable (i tried, it sucked)

*it sure as heck doesn't make me feel comfortable in the least but it's better than nothing. I would take a small sliver of visibility with a regular glass mirror over an electronic mirror anyday of the week

*the scariest moment of my life was when my power system in my sl-c died on the highway and i had to pull over completely blind to what was behind me .... normal mirror >>>>>>>> electronic mirror any day of the week

*do not expect some super duper crisp mega high resolution HD image. It will be acceptable, but nowhere near the quality of a normal glass reflection

Did I mention that i would only use a backup camera as my rear-view mirror if i absolutely had no other choice?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
Not entirely clear what you are suggesting(my phone is smarter than me), but you got me to thinking. With so many versions out there of both Apple and Android, why not buy one off of Ebay for next to nothing(quick search on Ebay range from $40-300) and make it a permanent part of the car. A bracket or housing should be an easy adaptation or build. Total cost would be around $150. That is less than other ccd setups.
On another note, I was cruising the Android apps site and saw an app that searches for free Wi Fi sites. Would a GPS app work on these. If so then you could use the smart phone above for GPS info as well. I ask this because I may retire next year and that means fewer funds to play with. Will probably switch to a lower rate phone with fewer features.

Bill

Hi Bill

I was just suggesting that use of a smart phone may be an easy route when you get a camera, screen etc all in one unit

Hell you could now even use a Gopro and bluetooth it to your IPhone

As you say the phone is now smarter than most people that use them

I do take Alex point too that when the power fails you see nothing!

Ian

Some of the cameras come with a chip installed that does the flipping. Others have that function built in to their monitor. Ask first before you pull the trigger. Most of the sanctioning bodies want mirrors or rather they don't want cameras even with them in some of the high priced race cars out there like LMP etc. That is why I placed mine inside the mirrors. With miniaturization I may have to rethink that.

Bill

Dwight,
Only two problems for me. !st problem is the size of the cameras. Where are you going to put them that hides them so they aren't seen. They are huge, and bigger than the one I did away with. The second problem is the expense. I have never(well I guess I won't be able to say that anymore) seen a one camera system that went for over $1000. Take a look at the units that have been shown in earlier post and some of the links. Most are in the $150-400 range. They have just about all you can ask for and many have multiple cameras for less than half that price. The ones that are close to what I would expect to pay were CMOS units not CCD, and at that still over priced. Not trying to criticize but it is just way over my budget.

Bill

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I have a budget
well I did have one a couple of years ago.

Now, I just wait till I can buy it.

The camera will be one of the last things I install..
I want the best I can buy with the money I have:thumbsup:

Dwight

Bob,
I was just looking around on the Quality Mobil Video web site and put on their search engine 110 wide angle camera and came up with a nice ccd camera that should meet your needs, and will fit(I think) as well as the one you have. Might want to check it out.
Boyo VTL110 Plastic Chrome angle license plate camera
I am planning to check with them to see if this camera will work with the system I have.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the extra help. I have purchased the BOYO VTL 420. The VTL 110 appears to be identical to the 420 for the camera unit itself. Both have a sort of square lens area whereas the VTL 200 had a round lens area. The VTL 110 does have a 130 degree FOV when you look at the specifications. Your search might have just keyed on the product number.

I have planned a nice mounting technique that I will report on soon.

-Bob Woods

I just picked up these two for $100.

Savv LCD 7" monitor - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/SAVV-LM-U7200W-7-Inch-Universal-Monitor/dp/B00I5N1RDI[/ame]

iBeam - TE-SSIR back up camera - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/INSTALLBAY-TE-SSIR-Cameras-INSTALL-SQUARE/dp/B00LPU78C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427904519&sr=8-1&keywords=te-ssir[/ame]

Both were recommended by a friend who does custom interior car installs for a living.

Back