Beating the heat!

Hey Guys thought I would post this here.
This is a new product we have here at work called Teknofibra. I am going to use it on my rear bulkhead.

Jeff Ritter has written this about the product

Teknofibra is an extremely versatile, lightweight material that is both heat reflecting and heat absorbing. Teknofibra provides an unprecedented thermal barrier that has never before been seen in automotive applications. It can be used to protect cold parts in close proximity to high temperature sources or open flame, and remains completely non-toxic and stable under these types of high-heat conditions (it does not emit any noxious fumes).
Since the product comes in a flexible cloth roll, it can be shaped and trimmed in endless configurations to fit specific needs or applications.
Teknofibra is also an outstanding sound absorber, and can be used for sound deadening and absorption.
Possible applications include but are not limited to: Turbo component insulation, road noise reduction, exhaust component insulation, intake air temperature reduction, exhaust noise reduction, passenger compartment insulation/protection, ball joint insulation from brake heat, transmission insulation from exhaust, transmission tunnel shield, etc.
Teknofibra in Action

In this video you can see the incredible performance of the Teknofibra material. A piece of Teknofibra was placed on the inside of a body panel, and pressed up against a glowing hot exhaust tube. The exhaust tube registers at 1260 F, while the outside of the panel remains at an incredible 60 F!
YouTube - ‪Teknofibra‬‏

It is available at www.essexparts.com

It appears that Tecknofibra is the same or close to a typical mass loaded vinyl, bonded to a vinyl/nitrile closed cell foam with an aluminum skin.
This same combination is on McMaster Carr page 3495.

www.soundeadenershowdown.com
has a good write up on this subject. He believes that this combination is not necessary in all areas of the car and sells separately (less the aluminum).

soundproofing.org is also a good source. (cheaper)

I am also looking into ways of stopping the resonance in all the aluminum tubing. In speaking with engineers at various manufacturers these are the products I have come up with.
1. To be injected into tubing around engine and especially cockpit.
High density urethane foam www.frothpak.com and www.fomo.com (commercial
vehicle). These foams are used in frames, A pillars etc. in some of
the higher end cars.
2. VIBEX Gel www.permawick.com VIBEX. It is a very high viscous gel
that absorbs vibration. Used in golf club shafts, tennis rackets and
motorcycle handle bars. Can be purchased at www.buzzbarkill.com
(click on university testing)
3. Aluminum strips attached to a butyl adhesive. that stick on tubing.

You can tell I want a quite cockpit. I am obtaining samples of all products above to experiment with. I will update results.

Any ideas, feedback, testimonials, or anything, is appreciated.

BTW: You can download a booklet on "Soundproofing A Light Aircraft" from
: SOUNDPROOFING & More Soundproofing! Super Soundproofing Co.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
It appears that Tecknofibra is the same or close to a typical mass loaded vinyl, bonded to a vinyl/nitrile closed cell foam with an aluminum skin.
This same combination is on McMaster Carr page 3495.

How did you come to that conclusion? The McMaster products are primarily acoustical treatment products with a maximum temperature of 180-200 deg. F and are sold in thicknesses from 1/4 to 1 inch.

Tecknofibra is sold primarily as a thermal barrier rated to 1,800 deg. F., and is sold only in 2 and 4 mm thicknesses.

I'm having trouble seeing any similarity at all. Well, they're both sheets.

I've been doing so much research on sound absorption and vibration dampening lately I have it on the brain. I forgot to mention the heat shielding I used. LAVAMAT 1200 degrees with a carbon fiber look fabric.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I've been doing so much research on sound absorption and vibration dampening lately I have it on the brain. .

Well, when you get done please let us know the results. Every time I've tried I end up with no idea what to do....

on the Ford GT, they used a very heavy, lead type tape strip to deaden the resonance and also similar material in sheets for larger panels such as bulkheads...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Any sources for Teknofibra in the USA? I don't want to try to order it from overseas, it's generally a headache.

I just got the following from calling Essex:

2 mm thick, 4.75 ft wide, $104/ft
4 mm thick, 4.75 ft wide, $125/ft

Rigid tile, 0.87 x 2 ft, $124/tile.

All in stock.

Pat

Supporter
I used Dynamat Extreme on all the interior panels of my CAV and the difference in sound deadening and A/C cooling was significant. It's certainly an option to consider.
That said, I'd still like something better than the heat shielding I have under the rear deck and Teknofibra may be a solution there. It’s pricy stuff though that may be worthwhile in a limited application if someone has success with it. I'd be reluctant to carpet my interior with it at $124 a tile.

Last edited:
Back