BMW v12 m70

Hi guys found this salted away, I think it originally came from John C, John can you explain why it appears to hang down under the chassis so far, I have a m70 and have been thinking of fitting it to replace the 1uz I currently have in my build, the motor I have is still in the donor, and not easy to get at to measure. Is the crank to bottom of the sump distance on the m70 a lot higher than the 1uz.

also found this on fitting turbos to the m70 well worth a read.

http://translate.googleusercontent....=16038&usg=ALkJrhhhckmaklQ8_l5JWYfYlh7Z76l9EQ

and this swiss version of the same build but more info, well worth translating.
http://www.zatzy.com/projekt/251300-galant-turbo-bmw-750-ial-dubbelturbo.html

regards
Graeme

Attachments

• Ford and BMW dims jcribb lextreme.jpg
    Ford and BMW dims jcribb lextreme.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,498
Last edited:

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Graeme, the inverted G50 is part of it, plus the sheet metal sump is a good 100-120mm deep, IIRC. Several of the M70 swaps have been dry sump conversions for this reason. (Chelle's 250 GTO, Jay Esterer's Ultima, etc.)

01e is better than 01x? in which the cars are 01x?
01e if I am not mistaken in the audi a4 2.5 TDI.

01E can handle a great deal more torque, and has a number of diff options out there. 01X has more modern synchronizers on 1-2 gears and is lighter. 01E is much smaller than 01X due to the way reverse gear is implemented in the 01E.

01E comes in a number of cars from 1992-2004 behind 4,6 cylinder diesels, 5,6,8 cylinder gas engines. Later V6 diesels got the 0A3 and later 4 cylinder diesels were 01x.

The biggest problem with hopping them up is the design of the runners in the head, I am told.

The Early BMW V12's are pretty ancient in design, 2V heads, and with only 5.0 liters, there are many V8's out there that are cheaper to hop up and smaller in dimension. However if you need a V12 it's one of the least expensive options (at a local u pull it I could get one for $220 if I spent a day pulling it). But like everything stuff more air into it and you get moar Powa.

I looked at these m70s and when I saw the small ports on the head, I knew the NA potential of these engines was going to be limited. If only there was an aftermarket head out there with giant ports suitable for racing, we would be all set. But I'm sure if heads like these did exist, they would cost of fortune.

Maybe someone should ring mclaren to see if they can make a run of their mclaren F1 heads. :drunk:

If im not mistaken, the mclaren v12 was based off of this engine..

You have to remember that these are only 5 liter or around 6 liter if stroked/bored, consider then that its the equivalent of a 4 liter V8 at best with regard to bore/stroke/port size, yes Im sure it would go better with a redesign, what doesnt? depends what your end goal is.

I looked at these m70s and when I saw the small ports on the head, I knew the NA potential of these engines was going to be limited. If only there was an aftermarket head out there with giant ports suitable for racing, we would be all set. But I'm sure if heads like these did exist, they would cost of fortune.

Maybe someone should ring mclaren to see if they can make a run of their mclaren F1 heads. :drunk:

Nope, only the cylinder sizes are the same.
Even the internal cooling/oiling paths are different.

Go twin turbo and you will hit the 450/500HP easily.
You will have to fabricate the manifolds, tough ...
And possibly go for a custom engine management system.

Go twin turbo and you will hit the 450/500HP easily.
You will have to fabricate the manifolds, tough ...
And possibly go for a custom engine management system.

If you look to go that route there is a guy on the ffrcars forum named dukegrad98 who did just that and stuffed it in factory five cobra

5.0L BMW V12, all aluminum, 2V, four-bolt mains, all forged internals
Electromotive TEC3R engine control
Twin Garrett ball-bearing turbochargers
Getrag (OEM BMW) 6-speed manual

I make them, the extra distance is accommodated by a thicker flywheel

In a GT40 application that would only create a further problem with shifting the transaxle rearwards & increasing the half shaft angles. Time for a dedicated bell housing either fabricated or cast with as compact a clutch/flywheel package as possible.

In a GT40 application that would only create a further problem with shifting the transaxle rearwards & increasing the half shaft angles. Time for a dedicated bell housing either fabricated or cast with as compact a clutch/flywheel package as possible.

Agreed but on my application I had the space so no need for the extra cost. You could also machine off the mounting flange and weld on one to suit your application (has been done with the 016 successfully)

Back