Body Gel-Coat Colors

Gel coats don't have the UV resistance equivalent to modern paints. Sure, they'll buff up pretty well for a number of years, but they tend to oxidize faster than a good ppg paint for example.

Don't mean to rain on the parade but it makes sense to get some paint on your gel coat. Just my $.02.

Cliff,

Using a UV protectant polish certainly helps....or sand,buff, polish and then coat with a clear coat that is UV stable....still a whole lot less expensive than a full blown paint job and will be pretty resilient for quite a while or until you decide to do a full on paint job...

Gel coats don't have the UV resistance equivalent to modern paints. Sure, they'll buff up pretty well for a number of years, but they tend to oxidize faster than a good ppg paint for example.

Don't mean to rain on the parade but it makes sense to get some paint on your gel coat. Just my $.02.

I polished my entire body 2yrs ago and it hasn't oxidized.

As long as it isn't in sunlight like an RV or boat it should hold up for a while just fine.

I really like the idea of buffing out the gelcoat and was a selling point for me. What if I bump or scratch the paint later when I am changing someting else on the car as they never seem done as we seem to always end up changing this or that over time. Makes me feel a littler better that I did not spend the 5K on a high end paint job that I just put a blemish in. I also like the idea of getting one color and when I am bored with it then change it. I also ponder the idea of wrapping the car for different colors, but we will see how much time that actually takes when I get there. The put a coat of nice and really wet clear is a nice touch and can make it look really nice and wet when done. I might try that if I am not fully happy with the gel buffing job when done. The gel coat gives us all lots of options for the future.

Considering you guys only see the sun 6 months a year with short days when it is out, that's no surprise :drunk:

Wanna trade locales? Think of the benefits - with almost no sun up here you'd have no motivation to leave the house to goto the beach, go cruising, etc..., and thus even more time to fix your rotaries :D

It is nice knowing its almost like a free paint job. Once you see some rock chips or get tired of the color your not out 3-5K. Im probably going to spend a good bit on the clear bra material once its painted.

Jeez, give Alex a break! He makes a post and everyone jumps on him. He's sitting up in the great white north with long days and short nights with nothing to do...

Actually, Alex is planning a 917 build and collecting some parts! I believe the RCR 917 may be on order by now. Make a great snowplow! (I do love the 917, just a jab).

What about wrapping the thing? A normal 4 door family car cost about 1000-1500 us dollars. Most places have a 10 year plus warranty. From what I have seen from pictures. It should not be that hard to wrap. Plus you can do what ever you want for a design. If you get sick of it. You can have a SLC unwrapping party.

What about wrapping the thing? A normal 4 door family car cost about 1000-1500 us dollars. Most places have a 10 year plus warranty. From what I have seen from pictures. It should not be that hard to wrap. Plus you can do what ever you want for a design. If you get sick of it. You can have a SLC unwrapping party.

Where did you get that figure from? Most quality wrapping jobs I've seen are closer to 5k at a minimum ... it's just as expensive something to wrap as compared to paint.

Its only 2-2.5K where im from for a high quality one. Comes with 5 year warranty and maintenance. I got a quote for my mustang a year ago but never got around to it.

Average price is $2500 to $3500 here in Vegas. (Custom made for SLC. Normal cars are less)

Edit: I haven't seen any ten year warranties either. Five is the highest. But that's an additional 1000.

Are there pics of any RCR cars in gel coat primer grey or in Grabber blue?

I'm not sure exactly what color the grabber blue is, but here is one in blue. The other is in gray, but for all I know, both cars may be custom colors.

Attachments

• IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Back