BRM's on a DRB?

Hi guys,

Im a long, long, long time viewer of the forum.

Does anyone know of a DRB fitted with BRM style replica wheels?

I'm yet to see one fitted with anything but 'modern' wheels. Is there a limitation using the vette front hubs regarding offset?

Thanks in advance

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
This hasn't stopped many RF's from getting around with knock off wheels. I know that the new RF are actively testing the knock off wheel for ADR compliance as we speak so that they will be legal for road use and registration purposes.

I think Jacob has asked a good question, although I'm sure there are a few DRB's getting around with knock-offs...

Bill,
I know when Chris (flatchat) ordered his package he made mention of the knockoff issue...he owned a DRB previously.

Aus. may well be much like the USA in that each area has its own rules...I am sure one of the well versed antipodean chaps will set me straight...:)

It's not a problem for Australian Design Rules in principal - MG's and Jags had them from factory - it's more ensuring the engineer signing off your particular car is convinced the system used has appropriate level of engineering to ensure the wheel will stay on. This includes adaptors/spinners/drive nutsflanges/wheels.

We have changed and are in the process of testing our new system at the moment in paralel with the wheels to a JIS standard to ensure it is correctly engineered and robust. Previously this sort of info/requirement was overlooked.

Regards Paul

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
To the best of my knowledge Knock off's are not allowed under the Australian compliance rules. You can have a "pretend" knock off. The wheel is attached by wheel nuts and a pseudo knock off fitted on a central spline. But if you live in a country that allow knock offs I am sure DRB could fit suitable hubs.

Attachments

• di 003 (Small).jpg
    di 003 (Small).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 795

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The knock offs hubs come in both Ford and Chevy bolt circle dia's and should be able to bolt onto your hub with little issue (provided the offsets are all compatible and such).

I think Precision Engineering is a forum sponsor and has a link on the sponsor site. Check them out, you should see everything you need there.

Cheers,

I'm keen to use BRM style wheels on my DRB. This is as close to something
that looks anywhere near orginal as I could find. Anyone want to lend me a set of BRM's to try??:D

Attachments

• PICT0019 (Small).jpeg
    PICT0019 (Small).jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 745
Thanks for the responses guys. If the issue is not brake rotor size I can only guess that its to do with the hubs.

I do believe I have seen Halibrand replicas on a DRB before but im not certain. Dave, what size are those halibrands?

In reality I would be going for the halibrands anyway, just curious as to why no BRM's are around.

Pete said:
Just saw your post Paul, Maybe Queensland has a different interpretation of the ADR's, or I was given the wrong info.

Hi Pete,

Yes I think you may have recieved wrong info - Queensland still goes by ADR's and there's absolutely nothing to stop this form of attachment - nothing to interpret !

Regards Paul

Hey Jacob
My wheels are 16 x 10 and 16 x 8.
The issue with DRB rims fitting is the lower front clevis pins (on the rear uprights) rub on rims smaller than 16 inch.

try Team III wheels - they have look-alikes with a spinner that covers the lug nuts that looks very nice -- you have to get up close to see that they are covers. you can choose your offsets and they make up the wheels.

( i tried to cut/pase a photo from their web site but no luck)

Attachments

• donations_christmas04_daves car 017.jpg
    donations_christmas04_daves car 017.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 654

Ron McCall

Supporter
I have the Team IIIs on my Pantera. They are great!
I have the lug covers on them now.

Attachments

• Old pictures 1276 (Small).jpg
    Old pictures 1276 (Small).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 671
  • Old pictures 1273 (Small).jpg
    Old pictures 1273 (Small).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 639
:eek: They look awesome Pantera1889! I would never have thought that style would look so good on a Pantera but damn it sure does.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
AWWWHH KITTTY....!!!!! I've been waiting to see some full on shots of that cat. BEAUTIFUL Ron.......!

R

Ok Ron, so BOTH of your cars look great!

Did you take your Pantera down RT 32 through Eldersburg in maybe December/early Jan???

Back