Can't view photos

Well, since you've not had time to respond to my last post, I'll take a wild guess. If you're using Mozilla or a variant, you can accidentally block images when trying to view. Right click anywhere an image should be and select "unblock images from this server". Unfortunately it's right next to "view images", a nasty programming faux pas by the Mozilla team, and the reason I've done the same "goof" and know the solution. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on the home PC running Mozilla and Explorer but no problem at work. It's only receently happened but on logging on I get one image then nothing. I'm confused and the kids are away otherwise it would be sorted!

regards

Roger Allen

Ron Earp

Admin
I wish I knew what to tell you about this. If you weren't logged in it'd be due to that because the forum wouldn't allow you to see images unless you were logged in. However, I am working on changing that.

I don't think it is a forum problem - if it were it'd affect far more folks on the forum. Now, there are a couple of threads with "broken" pictures in that only 1/2 the picture loads due to a problem when the poster uploaded the picture. These are rare though and I think you'll know the difference.

Paul, I'll look at your ID and see if I can see anything wrong....

....I don't see anything wrong. You are a Registered User and all Registered Users have the ability to see pictures etc. Are there any other Registered Users (Supporting Members are in a different group so that won't help) having this problem? What happens if you logout and DON'T log back in? Can you see pictures then on threads?

Ron

I can view the photos in the link that Roaldin posted?!
If I don't use the log in button at the top of the Forum web page but try to post a reply & then log in occassionally I can view images, but not always.

Ron.
I've tried logging in then logging out but no different.

No problems viewing images in the galleries only within in threads.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
So Paul, to clairfy, you can see most photos, but not all?

Where is a thread you can see the pictures.

and

Where is a thread you can't see the pictures.

As above Ron, it's only images within threads I can't view unless someone attaches a link to another link. No problem with the galleries.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Paul,

I logged in as you as I described in email. No problem viewing photos, that is, I can see everything such as Adam's header thread etc. when logged in as you Did it on two machines, one running Firefox and one running IE.

So, that means the problem lies somewhere on your local computer settings, firewall, virus protection, and the like. Unfortunately, with so many iterations of these things the switch to turn on/off inline images could be anywhere. Maybe some other folks might be able to offer some assistance?

Ron

Within threads I can change display mode to 'display thread' I can then click on a link to an individual post within that thread & images can be seen.
I've tried Firewall & Anti-virus settings but no change. So, please, anyone, HELP!!!!!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
What Browser are you using? If IE, why not download Firefox and try it - quick and free. Might shed some light on the issue.

Ron

I tried that earlier Ron, that is reloading Mozilla, but no change.

Bruce,
When right clicking where an image should be there is no 'unblock image from this server' button.

Further - I can see MkIV J6's last pic' but no other from him on the thread. I have no trouble with anybody else's pic's on the thread.

Out of interest I have connected and logged on through a completely different computer, different O/S the works, and I can see all pic's with it.
I haven't figured out what the crucial difference is yet but when I do I'll
post here in the hope that it might help.

A couple of suggestions in the meanwhilst -
I wonder if it might be "private header information" settings somewhere. This site has played up strangely on me in the past and that seems to have had an effect.
Another thought - Occasionally an update for my particular brand of software firewall will break something that used to work fine.

Using Mozilla on Linux, disabling "Meta Redirects" and "Referrers" can occasionally "break" images.

Tim.

Last edited:
Paul Bearman said:
I tried that earlier Ron, that is reloading Mozilla, but no change.

Bruce,
When right clicking where an image should be there is no 'unblock image from this server' button.

If it's not happening with all images, then the browser is not likely the problem. But when right clicking the "block" or "unblock" selection is roughly half way down the list, just below view image and just above copy image location.

I've still got the problem and it's been suggested to me that McAfee could be an issue here. We have it loaded as shipped with our Dell PC this year. Have not subscribed to the update service though. I'm kinda reluctant to uninstall it however. Any views?

Roger Allen said:
I've still got the problem and it's been suggested to me that McAfee could be an issue here. We have it loaded as shipped with our Dell PC this year. Have not subscribed to the update service though. I'm kinda reluctant to uninstall it however. Any views?

McAfee updates could be the issue here Roger as I'm pretty sure I have experienced this kind of problem before. However, I don't know how to resolve the issue.
It's strange though how it's only images within threads that can't be viewed. I'll post further if I make any headway.
Thanks to all for the help & suggestions.

Back