CAV and BBF engine

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
also which engine is best or most reliable when choose a around 550hp engine.

Although "reliable" is a subjective term...and being a longtime FE lover...I think that the newer technology of the Windsor probably gets the nod. I mean the selection of components available makes what is available for the FE seem pale by comparison..and then there is the cost per inch/HP. I think you'll find that has a geometric escalation when it's an FE.

Last edited:
I knew it was a Genesis block but when a Roush salesman denied it, while set up within 10 yards of the Genesis booth, a fist fight nearly broke out. The Roush guy had made several disparaging comments, including that they were junk, and the owner of Genesis went ballistic. It seems he does all the block machine work for Roush, from his comments pretty cheaply, and was pretty incensed.
I didn't want another fist fight to break out( because of me,LOL). Thankfully that's your baby now :).
I still think that engine looks to be an FE from how tight the headers are,compared to the ones in the other pic.. supposedly the same car, but the pipes are drasticly different. It is just as easy to use the wrong model # as it is to mis-indentify the engine,like the transaxle was. I thought those were the VC's that Roush used on their FEs...but again it's hard to see it. Since you are in England you may have first hand knowledge. I was just going on the pic.
Ron, you are correct regarding the second engine it is without a doubt a Windsor based engine the shot that shows the exhaust makes it easy to identify.. the first one isn't as clear or at as advantageous an angle.
Dave ,
having dealt or know of dealings with both Roush and Genesis I think you could describe both companies as dysfunctional in varying degrees. We have used the Genesis blocks and now we know how to work with them, are pretty good. Like most limited production companies, though, there are "issues" but, having invested some trouble to get things right, I would use the blocks again.
Mike

just a comment on the FE vs Windsor 427. I would agree with Woodz about the new technology available for the windsor based engines, however, having had 2 Roush 427 motors,one a 427SR in my SPf gt40 MK11 and the other a 427r in my SPF Daytona coupe and also a 427 fe sideoiler in my Kirkham cobra, I would take the FE anyday over the Small blocks. The power of the FE, even at approximatly the same hp as the 2 Roush motors really had to be felt to be appreciated and the sound was fantastic. The point is somewhat moot however in this thread because I do not believe an FE will fit in a CAV without drastic chassis mods. Besides, as I said before, one does not belong in a MK1

just a comment on the FE vs Windsor 427................ Besides, as I said before, one does not belong in a MK1

Not strictly correct,' GT106 & GT107' two of the four liteweight chassis cars were FE powered with several derivatives of the MK1 bodywork, including the 'long' nose, & chrysler shark fin rear clips & early versions of the T44, I have often thought they would be quite a good chassis # to base a replica on- you could stretch a point and make up versions of ALL the front/rear clips it wore & include the open top sports car stuff from GT110, flip a coin as to what body you need for the day/event in question.......
But then ..any MKII replica without a FE & T44 or Auto combo is a 'Faked Fake' (Could be a new moniker for Faili F/Iron Sheik:) )
:thumbsup:

Back