CAV Front Canards

Has anyone ever produced, sold or knows where to buy front canards (diffusers) for CAV cars? And....what happened to the CAV cars forum? I was looking for it for reserch on this topic but it doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Give Ian Clark of CAV Canada a call. I'd be surprised if he didn't have what you're looking for.

As for the CAV section, I seem to recall reading about a lack of CAV support so it the threads were folded into topic-appropriate sections.

Any chance we'll see some photos of the car after the canards are installed?

T.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
CAV Forum died peacefully due to a lack of manufacturer support.

I have inquired about canards for my CAV - RCR can make some but they are too thick for my tastes. The other place was the place on here who advertises all the original parts - Cushman?- he quoted about $85 if I recall....

I have yet to do it.

Jimmy,
There's a group of about 6 cars in the Livermore/San Ramone area around SF, who made and fitted very pretty canards to their cars.
Tony

Disturbing to read that CAV isn't supporting the forum.....Surely there's enough of us for them to help support a forum. Thanks for the responses and Yes I'll post some photos once installed. I'll do more research and follow the leads you've kindly provided.

Pat

Supporter
One thought, always use the word CAV as a preface in the title line. Then search CAV and whatever you looking for. It should make finding future CAV specific items easier.

Jim, when are you driving your CAV down to Orlando?

Jim,
Welcome to the CAV GT family and I know that you are enjoying your beautiful yellow CAV GT.

I am looking at manufacturing some canards in a composite material, but they will only be available in the winter. I am busy with the development and building of our new CAV GTR that will need canards.

I will sponsor a sub forum if the CAV owners on this forum can give me an indication of the need for such a forum. I would also like to get a CAV GT owner to help with the administrative side of such a forum. I am in the shop most of the day and not on my computer enough to be able to do a good job of moderating a sub forum.
Any input will be much appreciated.

Poor show really but not completely surprising. Would have expected the forum would be dependant upon the number of a particular brand in existence. Seems not! It is also apparent that some of the CAV threads were not migrated to other forum locations.

I spent a month back in Cape Town and went to visit CAV. Sad to see that Jean has had to make some adjustments to weather the current economic storm.

On the other side, I saw the same continuous development, impressively a complete new lightweight racing body with one piece quick release nose/nostril section. Way lighter than previous...Shame that we will not see this on the forum.

"Died peacefully" by Administration of a lethal injection through popular demand!

I have just got off the phone with Johann who I will state has been nothing less then a very reliable resource with issues on my car. Its great to have him as a CAV representative available to bounce things off. I'll also thank him for my welcome note too. He spoke of his reasoning behind the CAV forum issue which he alluded to in his recent post. It makes sense but I expressed to him my concern on how I feel it tarnishes the CAV brand. IMO I feel it weakens the CAV brand by not having a forum specific to our car. He noted this concern and advised he will give it more thought....that's all I can ask.

Ron Earp

Admin
It is also apparent that some of the CAV threads were not migrated to other forum locations.

That is correct. I have been told that a number of CAV dealers are discussing supporting the subforum therefore I have not dispersed all the threads. Once they are dispersed they can not be put back into the subforum (well, they can if someone has a 10s of hours to kill searching for them and moving them). So, I'm holding dispersing them until I receive a definite answer from CAV.

Thanks,
Ron

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jimmy, We're going to do the canards however there seems to be quite a bit of variation on the theme. Wonder if there's a clear winner here, so I know what to build from, what do you say guys?

Attachments

• 1_SAAC_2007_SHOW_026.jpg
    1_SAAC_2007_SHOW_026.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 66_Ford_GT_WhiteGreen_DV-06-WG_h05.jpg
    66_Ford_GT_WhiteGreen_DV-06-WG_h05.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 327
  • 69moz34z%20Martin%20Ford%20GT40.jpg
    69moz34z%20Martin%20Ford%20GT40.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 376
  • 80_3.jpg
    80_3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 1061_6.jpg
    1061_6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 1079now.jpg
    1079now.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 470
  • 1083-5.jpg
    1083-5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 1966_ford_gt40_mk1_right_front_corner.jpg
    1966_ford_gt40_mk1_right_front_corner.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 375
  • P1043-1106-5.jpg
    P1043-1106-5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 357
  • SAAC2007P1037.jpg
    SAAC2007P1037.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 322
Ian, thanks for the pics and your response. My picks
Yellow # 39 = 1
Red Non #'d = 2
Red # 18 = 3
Hope this helps.
I'm sure they're all functional too!

Ian Clark

Supporter
Thanks Jimmy, I'd like some more votes if possible thanks.

The canards will give more downforce but with a drag penality. Am I correct that canards or "chin fins" were not used at high speed venues like LeMans?

Cheers

Ian,

I like the canards that do not have the adjustable stabilizers at the bottom.
I would say that the canards on the yellow #39 look the part for me.

I'm with Johann on this one. The #38 yellow car appears to have period correct canards. I don't particularly like the short "strut" on the larger and longer fins.

I would bet the green/yellow #61 car has the most effective canards - they also look more period correct to me. The point is to reduce front end lift effectively and that's going to be best accomplished by reducing the flow under the car....getting down low and scooping up the air will be more effective than canards more on the side of the front fenders up higher in the air flow. Just my $.02.

Back