Chassis Drawings/Blueprints

Nice one Adam - That really sets the standards - and I know I got photoworks around here somewhere....

Seriously nice drawings and I love those castings hanging in the back.

Frank

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks Frank.

Of course yours is terrific as well. I have solid works, but I just can't move away from MDT.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

So come on, who else is out there?

hi adam and frank
great work!!!!!!! we're all looking for chassis plans with which to build replica cars( as close as possible )
i believe you're both on the right track!! i'm going to post some pictures and some drawings to help you in your quest(s) will do that when i get home (i hope?!) well everyone have a safe new year and we'll be talkin' at ya lata
joe n.

Adam, I would be interested in talking to you about the software you are using for the chassis. I have the original drawings, and would like them transfered to something like solidworks. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

I guess I'm biased but I use SolidEdge at work everyday translating old drawings into CAD, it's the same software from Unigraphics used by Mosler to design the MT900 exotic.

Regardless of which CAD package used, you can import/export any .dxf, .dwg, or .igs file into any of these apps...

For those who don't have the know how or access to CAD

technology, X-Dyne offers downloadable 3D drawings of quite

a few cars, including a GT40 MK1, for $79USD. I'm no expert

by any means, but the drawings offered, look pretty

extensive to me. Their drawings might be a good place to

start for scratch builders.

[url="http://www.xdyne.com"]www.xdyne.com
[/url]

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Well, it is time for an update. Those with a keen eye will notice that it is much closer to original now.

Attachments

• 33331-chassis_2004-03-09.jpg
    33331-chassis_2004-03-09.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,888

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks Brian,

Here's a shot from the rear

Attachments

• 33344-chassis_2004-03-09rear.jpg
    33344-chassis_2004-03-09rear.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,761
Denis, Now if you could only put some dimensions with that drawing, you would be a real star with us scratch builders!

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Sorry, I won't post dimensions or planar views at this time.

Those that are trying build from scratch are welcome to send me an email to discuss.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
This really is in connection with (This Other Thread) but it also has to do with drawings so I put it here as well.

If anyone has original bits that they would like to have drawn up like this, feel free to contact me.

One of my best drawings yet, the T-44 magnesium bellhousing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 37133-T44 bellhouse 2004-05-05.jpg
    37133-T44 bellhouse 2004-05-05.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,497
Hey everyone, I'm new at this site and am in the progress of building my first GT40. I have been building hot rods and race cars for sometime now. What I am looking for is engineering drawing of the chassis. I know it seems to be a popular topic but am willing to pay. I need a few dimensions to complete the spaceframe. Any info would be very helpful.
Thank-you.

specracer

The problem with your request (and it's been asked before)
is that each company has their own unique chassis to support their suspension/drivetrain design, and body/door mounting method. There is no standard.
And obviously none are keen on seeing their intellectual
property shared with the masses (at any price).

As to whether any "home" builder offers a spaceframe
chassis drawing, I'm not aware of anyone....but maybe
someone out there does.

Legallity aside, I assume you could probably find
someone building an RF or Tornado or DRB or ? who would
take a few measurements off their chassis...but not sure
that would necessarily help unless you were using same
body/suspension/etc.

MikeD

Nice work guys. I am also designing a car in SolidWorks. I have the added benefit of access to CosmosWorks FEA and FloWorks CFD as well so I'm itching to get farther along in the design.

For the SolidWorks users: are you guys doing a top down design? I usually do but if I'm not careful, the farther in to the design I get with more and more changes, the more bunged up the model gets. Are you doing the sheet metal assembly as a part and then later cutting it up into pieces, or do you design as an assembly right from the beginning?

Has anyone tried the Alibre software? I'm just wondering in case I ever get "outsourced". It's alot more affordable.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Chris, I think you may be on the limits of Solidworks to handle lots of parts or you have set a lot of relationships. I have ProE (WF2) and work in top down always. In ProE you can make an overall outline/shape skeleton assembly with just surfaces which you use to pik up geometry for othr parts but you need to be very careful with constraints and relationships. I set my planes up as a ground plane, a longitudinal plane through the centre of the car, and a transverse plane through the front wheels. Working from the skeleton I constrain all the parts and or sub assemblies relative to the x,y,z planes. I keep things like wheel hubs and uprights as a sub assembly. We have done cars, buses, trucks, earthmoving equip, food packaging machines etc in this manner. We try not to break parts up in sheetmetal but need to do so for large items to suit available material sizes and manufacturing machinery. Ie if you were doing the body of a car in freeform we construct it as a surface, cut it up into manageable sizes, apply an offset for thickness.
I do not know of Alibre software but suggest it would not have the capabilities of SW or ProE.
Hope this helps,
Trevor

Back