Chassis Drawings/Blueprints

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Yet another update. I've been very busy, and so have not been able to work on the design as much. Still, the main chassis is near completion.

Attachments

• 42631-chassis_2004-08-22.jpg
    42631-chassis_2004-08-22.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2,067
Adam - are you going to be forming all that sheet metal yourself or have it done? Just curious how others tackle tough jobs like that without big equipment.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Chris, Someday I hope to bend up my own. Most of the pannels are just made up of straight breaks and should be easy to do. I will have all of the blanks laser cut, which will make things much easier. For the parts that were stamped I will probably cheat by making them in separate pieces and then welding them up.

Hi All I'm a total newbie to the group. Can anyone fill me in on where we are in regards to an "available" plan set? Is there perhaps a plan set for a tubed version of the chassis available?

I can wield a mighty fine TIG torch

HELLO!!
Where did you go Frank? Since we where talking to your swedish connection in Gothenburg earlier this year, we have not heard from you?! Best regards Lars Palmkvist

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Just need to get a roof on it now. Anyone have a huge CMM or 6-axis measuring arm I can borrow?

Attachments

• 48831-chassis_2004-12-15.jpg
    48831-chassis_2004-12-15.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,105
Hey Adam, how about a laser scanner for generating a data point cloud?

Just a suggest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking good!

Rick

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Rick,

A laser scanner would be great. Know anyone that has one? It would be a little more of a pain because there would be multiple scans that would have to be stiched together, but I could probably manage.

The windshield drawing by the way, is copied from the original triplex screen I bought from John Stone.

I suspect if anyone has really good contacts at Ford then a 3d scan probably already exists. I've seen now, in several articles and documentaries, how the Ford GT design team had a borrowed original GT40 in their studio for inspiration, among other things. I would imagine that at some point someone probably completed a scan of the GT40, considering the resources and equipment availabel to Ford's design team.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Mark,

In talking with some people it sounds like there were measurements taken however, they were probably only of the body outer surface, and they probably didn't remove components to get measurements of the chassis alone. It would save some trouble, but I will most likely have to get these measurements myself.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Well, it is really just an aluminum tube frame, and the engine and trans will be available through the FRPP catalog. But could one build it for under $150K? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How's about we build a new Ford GT?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an interesting idea. I think that a race-spec Ford GT replica could be built to less than 2,200 pounds for less than $150,000. A space frame made out of 4130 tubing, a carbon-fiber body shell, and flexibility in powertrain selection and you could build one helluva track car.

I wonder what Ford would do if someone pulled molds off the car.

Probably sue you so you had to live in cardboard box. They are very big on Intellectual Property at the moment, especially for a car still in production...

Brett

[ QUOTE ]
Rick,

A laser scanner would be great. Know anyone that has one? It would be a little more of a pain because there would be multiple scans that would have to be stiched together, but I could probably manage.

The windshield drawing by the way, is copied from the original triplex screen I bought from John Stone.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a 3D scan of a scale model instead of a full size car? There are some that I suspect are very accurate.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Bob, I've been really tempted to do that. I have a couple of 1:18 scale Exotos on my shelf...

I think I am going to give the paper/cardboard template thing a try. It has worked really well for other pieces like the rear bulkhead and windscreen. What we do is trace them on plotting paper and then scan them into my buddies huge document scanner at work. Bring the raster image into CAD, and whola. The roof is more difficult however, because it has coumpound curves. We will have to set up a U-V line grid to trace.

If we can get the roof, the MKI will be pretty much done. Then we can chop it up to make the MKII.

Adam, I'm not sure about your budget but a company in St. Hubert, Quebec is producing (under license from NRC) portable 3d laser scanners for ISS crewmember usage, something to do with quick and dirty scans of parts for maintenance purposes...

It would be nice if one was to find out which true sweeps were used on the original roof in order to create the right curves, I happen to have a table for true sweeps based on the Detroit method.

Just a thought...

Best of the season,

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is an interesting thread. Not that I think I could build a gt40 or something similar from scratch, but because I'm aiming to make one using CATIA V5. Did anyone have any drawings or sketches showing how the chassis (of a gt40 or similar) is constructed?
Also, does anyone have ready-made CAD models of engines, gearboxes and other stuff which would help in dimensioning the chassis?

I tip my hat to those of you who have showed off your CAD skills here. Truly impressive stuff.

Back