Coolant Leak

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Shouldn't an accurate measure of the piston stroke prove the 289 crank supposition?

Quite correct.. .130" difference between the 289's 2.87" stroke and the 302's 3.00" stroke...

You could measure that with a yard stick! :thumbsup:

NickD

Supporter
Assuming that piston is at TDC Nick, it appears you have a similar deck height to Brett!

So WTF?:huh:

Looking, mine has the Headgasket in place and the block to Piston clearance isn't actually that much excluding it. I kept coming across threads relating to issues if you deck the block significantly, and keep stock pistons, you may have an issue with 2.02 inlets if the cam is more aggressive.

That was my point.

Brett and I are meeting up Saturday afternoon at his so will be easy to see if it looks and feels significantly different to mine. :thumbsup:

NickD

Supporter
As in post #43 Keith? don't think so. But one question Nick, while checking that inlet valve clearance did you allow for spring back of the hydraulic lifter ..eg use a solid lifter with valve lash set to zero while you ran it thru two complete revolutions for checking purposes. Incidently the head gasket in Nicks Pic is the type I prefer of the Fel Pro range of gaskets.

Pic with 2m mark on crank, yours being an early version if 289 will appear like its punched into the crank web and 1m for 289/2m for 302.. As above it looks very much like you have a 289 crank, simplest and probably cheapest option will be a 302 crank and balance- should be relatively straightforward if you have kept balance info as you will be using current rods & pistons. and then get block squared & decked to suit, probably only 0.010" or so.

Hi, Yep, I took out one of the Hydraulic Flat Tappets and packed with Washers so it was essentially solid. I ran the motor round quite a few times to be sure. :thumbsup:

Brett is a poor boy, who has made decisions in his younger years that have not aged well. For all his drive and enthusiasm when younger to build a car he loves he made simple mistakes. Simple mistakes that you can all correct. For just £3 a month you can help Brett build the car of his dreams by rebuilding the engine he's managed to make a big hash of. Just text IDIOT to 302FORD to help Brett in his plight... and you can bring a bit of peace in the world

Yes, I do have a 289 crank.... any offers?

21853583729_184f1145d0_c.jpg

Keith

Wow! Well at least it should be worth some cash - they're getting quite rare these days especially if it is a Hi-Po. It might be lateral thinking but thank goodness for an unexplained water leak!

The figure '1'. Like an accusing finger :laugh:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
1 of 2 problems solved. Ironic that you would have never known you had a forced induction compression ratio, not for the leak.

I had to get Donna to give me lesson on Texting...only to find your Text Box was full and unlikely to be cleared in this decade...:)... cheer up Brett, all you need is a 302 crank/balance job and skim the deck surfaces plus a few gaskets and you have a good 289 crank to sell & offset costs.... it could have been worse.. you could have actually got it going, plagued the crap out of forum members as to why it didn't have enough power to back out of the w/shop and bought copius amounts of junk trying to cure non existant problems and then sold the whole shebang for pennies in the pound. Three pound a month!!! must be a gold plated project... perhaps I should get a cell phone & set up a deal like that for me!! :):):)

Things work in mysterious ways :) Yep, now to source and get this sorted. I have some surgery coming up at the end of November and should be mobile after a day or two, which means nearly two weeks off work to work on the car since I am banned from even light training for 3 weeks :D

Anyone got a 302 crank before I end up with an Eagle?

NickD

Supporter
Brett is a poor boy, who has made decisions in his younger years that have not aged well. For all his drive and enthusiasm when younger to build a car he loves he made simple mistakes. Simple mistakes that you can all correct. For just £3 a month you can help Brett build the car of his dreams by rebuilding the engine he's managed to make a big hash of. Just text IDIOT to 302FORD to help Brett in his plight... and you can bring a bit of peace in the world

Yes, I do have a 289 crank.... any offers?

21853583729_184f1145d0_c.jpg

I sure I can see a Cayote / Roadrunner or Tom / Gerry moment when someone get hit on the head with a 289 crank and head fits right in and they stumble off with the left right angled head. :furious:

NickD

Supporter
I had to get Donna to give me lesson on Texting...only to find your Text Box was full and unlikely to be cleared in this decade...:)... cheer up Brett, all you need is a 302 crank/balance job and skim the deck surfaces plus a few gaskets and you have a good 289 crank to sell & offset costs.... it could have been worse.. you could have actually got it going, plagued the crap out of forum members as to why it didn't have enough power to back out of the w/shop and bought copius amounts of junk trying to cure non existant problems and then sold the whole shebang for pennies in the pound. Three pound a month!!! must be a gold plated project... perhaps I should get a cell phone & set up a deal like that for me!! :):):)

Yep Brett, There are times when you have to realise your mistakes, bend over and take it like a man. If you want to sell the whole engine lump as a power unit, my wife's singer sowing machine motor is a bit lethargic and she offers even money on your 289/302 or an asmatic ant as a replacement motor, my money's on the ant !

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Brett...

I noted that you're looking for a crank.
I'd offer a bit of advice here in that buying a used crank may net you a good straight crank, or one that's not quite the noodle it was designed to be.
Not many 28oz 302 cranks around regardless.
Eagle and Scat both make a pretty affordable cast steel crank - I'd be headed in that general direction.
Another thing you could do is use your 289 crank as a core on a rebuilt crankshaft exchange. Most places here in the US don't care what you give them as long as it is serviceable.
I don't recall reading what the journal diameters are on your crank, but if it is turned undersize, you'll either need to match those sizes with your new crank or replace the bearings accordingly..
The other avenue is to buy longer connecting rods..

Wow! Well at least it should be worth some cash - they're getting quite rare these days especially if it is a Hi-Po. I

So my understanding reading them book things is that the HiPo cranks had F stamped into them, though there are a lot of fakes.

I can just make this out on one of the weights. So maybe? Any other signs to look for?

22167864683_87a8e8c19b_c.jpg

Yesterday after posting that info I dug all the old 289 cranks I have out and checked them all...4 of. Two had none of the AAA or X marks and the two that have them the only missing info was the polished area with any form of pressure indication, only one of those two had a circle with a number stamped in the middle-4.
These cranks were removed from local Falcon/Fairmont sedans with no special features, so unless the cars concerned have had engine rebuilds that reqd a crank replacement and someone fitted a 'new' Hi Po crank I am not sure that the above info is any more than internet BS or perhaps there were thousands of cranks with the triple AAA & X marks.

Back