Crash Safety

I realize that all self built or kit cars are going to be behind production cars in terms of 'active safety' gizmos i.e. airbags, abs, etc however hopefully on the 'passive safety' front i.e. steering and braking to get out of trouble in the first place they may have an advantage.

What I've found a bit frustrating from the wonderful web world of car building web sites is very little information on things:
a) that have failed on their cars that could cause 'situations'.
b) lessons learnt from accidents on the street at the track or other wise.

The point being if we don't get the information then the lessons cant be learnt and things can't be improved.

If safety is really the central issue, then think about those primary things which, if they fail, can produce a catastrophic situation: brakes, suspension and steering. In other words, make sure your basic braking system is properly engineered and functioning, you have good suspension geometry and parts/pieces and make sure your steering rack is firmly bolted to the chassis and steering arms. Thems the basics.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Well the two words "crash" and "safety" are the antithesis of each other. Fair enough question none the less as it speaks to the mental check list everyone goes through before signing up for one of these cars.

We can be thankfull most jurisdictions allow these replicas to be built exempt of "safety systems" primarily designed to protect people from themselves.

As mentioned, putting everything in that a mass produced car requires would ruin the beauty and fundamental rightness of the GT40 apart from certification, tooling and parts costs.

However, a five point harnesses should standard, along with a well designed and constructed fuel systems and wiring. A fire extinguisher or two for sure. Drive responsibly, keep the car maintained and the the odds are in your favour.

All bets are off if you get messed up with a larger vehicle or inanimate object, doesn't mattter what you drive. There's this little voice in your head asking if the car is safe, I'd feel a whole lot safer in a GT40 than an MGB or any older car of equal mass. Monocoque or tube frame, these are tough cars, buckle up:) my 2c worth.

Cheers

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
This thread is a great read and everything above could stand repeating. As much as I love this car and what it represents to me I equally fear it in respect to it's safety as a street going car.

As some have already shared, I would like to hear more of your driving habits in the name of safety. For example, When on the freeway I stay in the right lane or make a b-line to the fast lane so I don't allow myself to get "boxed" in with cars around me. Cell phone is off and tucked away. My mind is clear and focused on defensive driving. It's kind of a ritual mood I get into to drive this car. I don't take any trip lightly. I even prefer not to take passengers for I get concerned for their safety as well.

But when on those twisty mountain roads all alone, just you and that lump behind you singing her tune, it's all worth it. You guys know what I'm talking about!

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
But when on those twisty mountain roads all alone, just you and that lump behind you singing her tune, it's all worth it. You guys know what I'm talking about!

Sure do Tim

Let me just place this picture of an origional crash test here. Also note the fuel spray

GTcrashtest.jpg
Good god!
Was the fuel cell mounted in the front on the original cars?
Do any of the replica makes mount them up there or are they all side mounted?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Appears the force of the impact spewed the fuel out of the fillers.

It was which is one of the reasons why the Lemans Fuel Filler (without safety cap underneath) has been banned from so many different sanctioning bodys..

Thanks for all the serious input on this subject everyone. Great crash shot! My wife told me that if I crash the GT40 that I had better die in the mis-hap, cause she will kill me if I live through it! So it's over either way......................

Re the "Don't smoke..."comment, photos of the original GT40's show cigarette lighters for the drivers, for use in long distance racing. We have certainly increased our safety awareness in the intervening years.

And I think I once spotted a picture of Graham Hill driving the MkII down the Mulsanne, with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of G&T in a conveniently placed cupholder suspended from the dash! ;)

Rumor has it that the reason the Ferrari P4 drivers knocked out the side windows of their cars during the '67 BOAC race at Brands, was to allow easier disposal of the cigarette ends mid-race!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
William Wonder told me once that his GT40 tracked so well around the banking at Daytona that at 180 mph he could crack one of the side windows and light a cigarette, and the draft would pull the smoke out...while he was smoking with one hand and driving with the other. He finished eighth as a private entrant, I think twice- once for certain.

Braver than I am....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think the photo of the GT40 being crash tested was done after some kind of accident. My car has lockable caps under the Monza fillers, as someone suggested above. I like authenticity, but not enough to die for it.

Guys,

The tank on my car is inside of the sponsons. It was a U-Shaped bag-tank. Panned in under the seat and sides. Still the filler is much the same setup. You would think that a block of foam in the filler end of each tank could prevent alot of spray. Kind of reminds me of the past testing on aircraft with full fuel loads and the wings being sheared off. They were looking for ways to keep the splatter down.
Dave

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi David, I recall reading about the crash test in the picture posted above. The tanks were filled with a non flamible liquid of equal mass. Any idea what that was? Cheers

Back