different headlights

As I understand, from the SAE Papers, the Mk II had wiper components from a Boeing 707.

Apparently, normal wiping speeds for aircraft are about 240 wipes per minute through an angle of 60 degrees. When used in aircraft at 28 volts, the motor runs at 11,000 rpm. When operating at 12 volts, the wiping speed was reduced to around 110 wipes per minute.

The wipe angle was increased from the original 60 degrees to 110 degrees.

The arm and blade were also a modification of aircraft equipment. The main portion of the arm was stainless steel tubing. A spring-loaded blade pressure adjustment was incorporated in the section that mounted to the motor flexible drive. The blade was an anti-lift design modified to withstand vehicle design speeds.

Windlift was non existant at any vehicle speeds. Blade pressure was about 30 ounces.

The headlamp and driving lights used iodine-quartz bulbs designed for long-life truck use. These lights apparently caused few problems.

The main problem with the lighting was the side number identification lights being wiped off on straw bales - Precision driving?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Bill, been a bit busy today so not got chance to log in until now, and the other guys have answered anyway ;)
Running the bulbs at below rated voltage will significantly reduce their light output, so I doubt they used anything other than 12v bulbs. The SAE papers suggest they used rugged bulbs for longer life.

Chris, why not try using HID bulbs. You can buy these in H1, H4, and H7 mounts. If you want dipping HIDs this can be accomplished too.
I have fitted the H1 and H7 types before to both cars and bikes, and they are superb. The bulbs are only rated at 35W, but provide equivalent to 100w incandescent output. They need a 20A fuse to allow for the initial strike current, but then run at around 3 amps.
have a look at autolamps-online.com. there are several other places, but I deal with these guys as they know what they are on about (CO used to work for philips automotive devision).
Oh, and go for the lower temperature lights. They look less blue, and give a greater light range.

Cheers,
John.

Rune

Supporter
Does anyone know wich cars that used rectangular headlights type marchall same as in original cars. I think the headligths are made in France so it migth be from a Peguot or a Citroen. Since I'm building a copy of the original mkI I chould collect as many original parts as possible

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
bune said:
Does anyone know wich cars that used rectangular headlights type marchall same as in original cars. I think the headligths are made in France so it migth be from a Peguot or a Citroen. Since I'm building a copy of the original mkI I chould collect as many original parts as possible

Peugeot 204 had Marchal headlamps and I think I read somewhere that's what was used on the GT40.

Attachments

• std_1965_peugeot_204_in_paris.jpg
    std_1965_peugeot_204_in_paris.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 628
Gents
I am using these lamps...hard to find with the convex radius, but I have them now. They use a P45T lamp, not available here in the U.S.. I am looking at some now with a concave lens that use an H-4 lamp, which I believe is available in both Europe and the U.S.. My lamps are Cibie units which came in a Valeo carton, but I have been unable to locate these on the internet even with the part number.

Attachments

• Jan 2005 056.jpg
    Jan 2005 056.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 455

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Phil said:
Gents
I am using these lamps...hard to find with the convex radius, but I have them now. They use a P45T lamp, not available here in the U.S.. I am looking at some now with a concave lens that use an H-4 lamp, which I believe is available in both Europe and the U.S.. My lamps are Cibie units which came in a Valeo carton, but I have been unable to locate these on the internet even with the part number.

Phil -

It is no problem getting the P45T's here. I think this is where I got them, very inexpensive have the halogen versions with correct base to.

www.Bulbs.com P45T Lamps

HTH

Sandy

Sandy
Thanks you.
I took the bulb, In a Sylvania box no less, to one of my suppliers and hsi comment was that it didn't exist...funny thing I had it in my hand at the time.
I am currently looking at getting some lamps with H-4 bulbs now and I will post them if and when they arrive. Thanks again for the link.
Cheers
Phil

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Glad to help, I think someone else here gave the link to me, and now it's legacy has passed to you ;)

The only bulb they didn't have was the cool yellow p45T which I got a couple with when I got some original Marchal lamps. I have seen them around, but just not at bulbs.com site

Sandy

Howard Jones

Supporter
They are so cheep on Bulbs.com that you need to order 4 to get to the minium order amount of $30 if I remember correctly. They also have several output selections. I am using the 65W/100W.

Sandy and Lynn
Thanks to both of you...sorry for the terrible spelling yesterday..couldn't find my glasses!. I might be interested in those cool yellow p45t's, I have a friend who is going to South America real soon, and I think I saw some cars with them when I was there..just didn't know what I was looking at...also I am working on a spot lamp assembly for the area below the headlamps, and I almost have a rough prototype ready...I will post photos when I think it is presentable enough.
Cheers
Phil

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
BillD -

No info on pricing, and I think they are in Taiwan, so no easy way to get them.

I was looking for the non-halogen versions like below so I can have a couple of spares for the Simca 1000 lights that I got. They came with a couple that were hidden in the boxes.

The round bulbs in the head lamps give them an cool looking yellow glow even when the bulb is off.

I have seen them on Ebay, I think about $25 for the pair so likely they are about $5 each somewhere.

Sandy

Attachments

• 79078-DrivingLamps004.jpg
    79078-DrivingLamps004.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 348

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn -

I found the halogen version on a few motorcycle/snowmobile parts places. Getting a the non-halogen in yellow seems to be harder. Not such a big deal. Also for other folks, check out some of the sites in the UK they make a ring that you place in the P45T housing and you can use other more modern bulbs. I think about 15 bucks for the ring.

Sandy

Back