Discussion of 2003 CAV GT For Sale

Re: 2003 CAV GT For Sale, 361 Miles from New!

Robert, That's the one I thought it was. I looked at the car a long time ago and found the asking price (99K) rather steep to say the least compared to others on the market at the time. Thanks.

Veek, you're right mate. That is a whole lot of car for that money.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Come on gentleman. People have suggested because the seller has not responded to a question that something is amiss. There are people posting pictures of cars unrelated to the vehicle being offered. Others are discussing unrelated cars. One is required to be a forum supporter to even post an ad yet others who are not are allowed to post nonsense in the sellers thread. It doesn't seem that anybody posting in this ad is remotely serious about actually purchasing the car. Every single post other than the original should be deleted by the moderator. There are forum sections for having discussions about cars if you feel the need to do so. Please moderators clean this mess up and consider adding a rule that if you are required to be invested in the site in order to post an ad in the for sale section that you are also required to be a supporter to follow up on that ad as well as limiting those responses to legitimate inquiries from those actually interested in a purchase. Sellers can post their contact info for viewers who are not members or forum supporters if they have questions. I will bet none of you that are posing these questions have actually picked up the phone and contacted the seller. This is nonsense.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

Here's a novel idea: Let's place the blame where the blame belongs.

Less rules are more, but if need be, make a rule that if you offer your vehicle for sale here, and list a myriad of facts, then you become obligated to answer reasonable pertinent questions regarding that vehicle. If the original very reasonable questions concerning the car would have been answered, then a dozen or more of the subsequent posts would not have been created.
Hopefully, the horse(s) will drink now . . . .

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure if you called him up he would answer any questions you have. Responding to questions from the uninterested in buying peanut gallery is not something I would feel any obligation to do if I was selling a car.

Pat

Supporter

This is nonsense.

At least there is one part of your post with which I agree. Some of us take our cars out. Some of us get inquiries as to where one might acquire such a car. If I am enthusiastic about a particular car, I will refer it to those that inquire. Just about every race car I've sold was via word of mouth. This forum has a great opportunity to do the same. This word of mouth process is inhibited by poor information and incomplete postings. It is enhanced by discussion and collective insight.
Perhaps it’s time you switch to decaf.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Happily for me, snarky comments from the peanut gallery don't seem to bother me much these days. Now that there is a thread dedicated to your's and other's expert analysis of said vehicle, please carry on...

If someone advertises a car on GT40s they MUST know and understand that many on here are experts on the type and perhaps even know the particular vehicle. Many folk join here to research the 40 types. If Joe Bloggs sees a car for sale on here, he just may end up buying something not as expected if other more knowledgable folk are not allowed to offer up advice or investigate the particular car that is for sale. Any seller ought not to fear or object to any reasonable attempts to clarify information posted in a for sale thread.

Keith

But surely Mark (I won't call you Shirley again, promise) that process should not include speculation, mistaken identity, half truths downright misinformation (not suggesting that in this case of course).

If you were able to debate the provenance of everything pre-owned on line nothing would ever get sold and it leaves the way open for rival dealers/sellers to throw a bit of mud because be certain, it will stick. Unfortunately that is in the nature of Man.

This isn't the first time it's happened on here either - how would you feel if you paid your fee, advertised a vehicle and within 2 or 3 posts the car was trashed by someone who had a previous interest?

I'm being hypothetical but the opportunity is there.

"Not titled in XYZ State? Nah, that's going to be a problem." Or "Oh, it's only got a Renault box that'll break in half and explode the car" etc etc. A bit extreme but you get my point.

Caveat Emptor has always driven the pre-owned market and if people know anything for sure, then a simple PM to an interested party would solve the issue without washing the dirty laundry in public.

Sale approved/not approved by an unelected Committee with no horses racing? Are you sure you're cool with that?

It's a For Sale ad. Nothing more nothing less, not a 'fitness' test.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Both Mark and Veek are putting forth a classic straw man argument. Of course one should be able to ask legitimate questions. Drawing most likely inaccurate conclusions because the author failed to respond in what they deemed an appropriate amount of time does not then give anyone the right to cast dispersions on the seller or the car. Anyone truely interested would give the seller a call versus sitting back and throwing rocks behind a keyboard. Speaking of horses and water...

Pat

Supporter
Let me try again. If I ever sell my car, I would want to get the support of members of this forum in referring it to potential buyers, bumping the listing with follow on comments and even feedback on potential gaps or issues in my advert or the car. I want to hear the negatives so I can address them. If I don't, quite frankly I shouldn't expect to get my price or even sell the car. I want people that have seen my car to provide input. If I get back in the market, I will certainly give preference to cars with active member endorsements.
Who would buy an original without referring to Ronnie Spain?
As I read the postings, the primary concern is sellers who post and don't actively address issues surfaced by "the peanut gallery" (a wonderfully smug derisive term) risk uncertainty that is not conducive to "making the call" to the seller. I'm certainly not going to call somebody just to determine I will endorse a listing. Perhaps they don't respond because there isn't a good answer, they aren't active in the selling process and/or they mistook a membership forum for Craig's List. That's fine; I won't talk up the car. Behavior is believable. If they don't follow up on a listing how will support be after the sale? It may be fantastic but I have no way of knowing that.
My car was again selected to participate at the Disney Car Masters Weekend with about 125 other cars. Chip Foose will be at the event. It will be seen by a couple of thousand people. I will be asked a lot of questions including, like "how fast does it go”,” how much does it cost" and "where can I get one of these". If I am aware of a good car for sale, I'll mention it. I enjoy the opportunity to support members of the forum if they are selling their cars. I hope they would do that for me. The car in question may be perfect, but then it may not be. And I have an opportunity to refer the listing or not.
I see members are educating sellers in the successful protocols to use this forum to sell a car. For example, if you list, maintain contact on the posting and promptly address questions and comments. If not, questions linger that inhibit the sale. Feedback is a gift.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You're not Ronnie Spain and the seller never ask for your endorsement. Relax dude...

I am of course making that massive assumption that people arn't twats Keith! I just can't help myself. I suppose their are people out there who would simply trash a seller's car or reputation just for the fun!
I simply hope that if I were in the market for a car, saw one on here purporting to be an SPF, and bought it thinking it was one, I would be heartily upset to be told only after the fact by experts on here, that I had purchased a KVA instead! I am guessing alot of potential buyers might not know how to tell the difference!???
I am not wishing insult to KVA owners, I simply use that example to illustrate a big difference in values of two makes of car that look largly similar to an untrained eye.
BTW, I can tell the difference! :)

Isn't everyone assuming the seller knows the answers to your questions? Historically for me, it seems every time I've asked a question of a dealer about a car that he or she is selling, they very often just don't know the answer.

Dealers believe in their heart of hearts that serious buyers will pick up the telephone and call them. Unfortunately, my experience has been they often plain just don't know the answer because they don't know the car's history and don't have the receipts or documents that have the answers.

Michael,

We can all have different opinions on these matters, and that's all cool in the spirit of intelligent debate and the sharing of different view points. Good to keep it diplomatic....this isn't hondachat.com, thank god.

However, apparently the moderators don't agree with your position as this thread seems to be alive and well with all the contrarian postings to your particular view point.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You may be confused Cliff. I have no issue with folks starting a stand alone thread in an appropriate forum section to discuss whatever they wish. I do think it is inappropriate to carry on these discussions in the sellers ad thread. I can't speak to what the moderators think but as you can see the contents of this discussion have been moved out of the seller's thread and into this paddock thread. I'll leave the interpretation as to why for others to ponder.

Keith

I am of course making that massive assumption that people arn't twats Keith! I just can't help myself. I suppose their are people out there who would simply trash a seller's car or reputation just for the fun! :)

Well, maybe not just for fun but other motives..

Let me say this, probably 10 years ago you would have been correct, but now - well, I used to be uncertain, but now, I'm not so sure... :)

You may be confused Cliff. I have no issue with folks starting a stand alone thread in an appropriate forum section to discuss whatever they wish. I do think it is inappropriate to carry on these discussions in the sellers ad thread. I can't speak to what the moderators think but as you can see the contents of this discussion have been moved out of the seller's thread and into this paddock thread. I'll leave the interpretation as to why for others to ponder.

There's no confusion here Michael.

So that you understand the precise point, the point is not to have a separate stand alone thread. The point is that the seller reasonably invites, and should expect, Q&A when posting in a public chat forum to an informed audience. That was my point, and the view of most all others on this thread (other than you), and it still clearly is.

I don't know how much clearer it can be made for you. Whether you agree with that or not is a separate point, and obviously you don't. And that's just fine as you have an equal right to an opinion here as anyone else.

Last edited:
Back