Discussion of 2003 CAV GT For Sale

Keith

I don't believe we are discussing a "normal" exchange here, but one that reminds me of the kintiing crones knitting around the guillotine.

How often have well intentioned people come on this forum to be completely trashed by the so-called "welcoming committee?"

It's happened more times than I care to remember. These conversations between seller and buyer should not be interspersed with speculation and downright misinformation.

The kind of treatment dished out to the gentleman selling this CAV was appalling in that it trashed the thread, threw huge doubt on the veracity of the seller, and went on to discuss completely different cars and different situations.

THAT's what I'm talking about, not the suspension of legitimate discussion.

Mr. Hardy,

Easy there. This is, after all, a discussion forum, not a static advertising channel. A seller must expect some reasonable Q&A when posting a for-sale item in a discussion forum, particularly where it's a highly non-standardized product (such as a GT40) and the posting audience is highly informed. That's all reasonable, and normal, and to be expected.

Many sellers have posted cars for sale recently and there has been no discussion along the lines of what you have suggested. It all seems very diplomatic, and focused upon the particulars of the car for sale.

The seller of the CAV is being asked some very basic and straight forward questions regarding the condition and circumstances of the car. That information (such as the VIN) is helpful for a buyer to make an informed buying decision. That's also all reasonable, customary, and normal.

I personally know of two prospective buyers who are interested in the car, and wish for there to be a public record of some of these details so that they can rely upon the disclosed data. The seller can choose to reveal the basic facts publicly, or not, it's his/her choice, but being forthright and open about those facts certainly fosters goodwill and heightened confidence in the eyes of buyers. That's reasonable and customary and normal too.

Let's all take a chill pill and focus on the details of this particular car. It would be nice to help the seller find an informed buyer for this CAV, so anything additional the seller can share would no doubt be appreciated.

Keith

We'll have to agree to disagree on forum etiquette. If you re-read posts 1 - 16 on this thread (including one of your own), I personally would not have thought that the sequence and content of posts particularly conducive to preparing the ground for a successful sale, as some of the mud would be hard to wash off.

Also taking into account that most readers only read one word in three and they might be likely to be newcomers to the model/hobby/forum, it doesn't make for a welcoming picture.

It's no biggie, just a personal opinion, but if I were contemplating buying the car, some of the inferrences made could not be easily "struck from the record" and I would have formed a negative opinion.

I've never heard someone who liked to hear himself argue as much as Cliffy

Ah, come on Michael, that's not the case. I believe in the healthy debate of intelligent subjects by informed people. This is one where reasonable minds can certainly differ on the outcome....there is no one clear answer. So we debate it and be respectful that everyone has an equal right to share their opinion so long as it's reasoned. My issue with the you was that you were asking the mods to sensor a reasonable debate based solely your own opinion of right and wrong. That's somewhat at odds with the very nature of a discussion forum.

We can debate these things and be respectful of differing opinions IMHO.

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Divorced......three times.......not too proud of that......

Hi Cliff

Mate what can I say ?????

Divorced once, well everyone can make a mistake once.

Usually you learn from your mistakes and don't make them again, but to go round twice more, God forbid never.

I did it once and never again.

Dimi

I find Cliff to be reasonable and his ideas well thought out. The great thing about debate is that ideas can be shared. The problem often is that emotion takes over and it becomes personal as witnessed all too often in the paddock. Feelings get hurt and debate becomes a war of words. This is when it becomes nonproductive and no one learns anything.

Both Mark and Veek are putting forth a classic straw man argument. Of course one should be able to ask legitimate questions. Drawing most likely inaccurate conclusions because the author failed to respond in what they deemed an appropriate amount of time does not then give anyone the right to cast dispersions on the seller or the car. Anyone truely interested would give the seller a call versus sitting back and throwing rocks behind a keyboard. Speaking of horses and water...

This is the internet. Deal with it.

All,

Hopefully this message will serve to answer the speculative discussions relative to the subject vehicle.

The car is a CAV GT, not a GTD, or some other manufacturer. The VIN # is 1A44MONOB66, or the 44th example of the 1966 Mk I B with mono chassis fabricated in Cape Town for the American market. This is substantiated and documented by the then (?) Production Manager and the CEO, and currently substantiated and documented by the Director of Operations, Jean Fourie.

As noted, the vehicle was seized by the bankruptcy court (not exactly news today) and sold in auction to individuals who placed the car on consignment with Motor Classics & Competition Corporation.

Concerning the dealership, Angus Dykman, sales, and Nick Suprano, owner, are the models of courtesy and consideration, and extended themselves beyond the call to answer ALL of my questions in detail, including taking over 50 images to complement my inquiries.

Additionally, I contacted an individual employed with a concern focused on Cobras and GT40s. This person travelled from Connecticut to New York to personally assess the vehicle, during which time another 100+ images were taken, which we discussed in complete detail.

While the vehicle originally had 360 miles on it, the mileage is currently 430 miles, as Nick Suprano had his factory certified Ferrari mechanic repair the front and rear uprights with the correct hardware, fix the tachometer, and sort out the engine compartment. Mr. Suprano , who drives vintage cars competitively, test drove the vehicle several times until he was 100% satisfied that everything checked out.

I purchased this vehicle for a very fair price and it was delivered last week. I sure would like to find another CAV in as magnificent condition as this is.

Mike K.

Re: 2003 CAV GT For Sale, 361 Miles from New!

I'll see if I can park it in your garage overnite some day...thanks for the resonable feedback...please read attached......

All,

Hopefully this message will serve to answer the speculative discussions relative to the subject vehicle.

The car is a CAV GT, not a GTD, or some other manufacturer. The VIN # is 1A44MONOB66, or the 44th example of the 1966 Mk I B with mono chassis fabricated in Cape Town for the American market. This is substantiated and documented by the then (?) Production Manager and the CEO, and currently substantiated and documented by the Director of Operations, Jean Fourie.

As noted, the vehicle was seized by the bankruptcy court (not exactly news today) and sold in auction to individuals who placed the car on consignment with Motor Classics & Competition Corporation.

Concerning the dealership, Angus Dykman, sales, and Nick Suprano, owner, are the models of courtesy and consideration, and extended themselves beyond the call to answer ALL of my questions in detail, including taking over 50 images to complement my inquiries.

Additionally, I contacted an individual employed with a concern focused on Cobras and GT40s. This person travelled from Connecticut to New York to personally assess the vehicle, during which time another 100+ images were taken, which we discussed in complete detail.

While the vehicle originally had 360 miles on it, the mileage is currently 430 miles, as Nick Suprano had his factory certified Ferrari mechanic repair the front and rear uprights with the correct hardware, fix the tachometer, and sort out the engine compartment. Mr. Suprano , who drives vintage cars competitively, test drove the vehicle several times until he was 100% satisfied that everything checked out.

I purchased this vehicle for a very fair price and it was delivered last week. I sure would like to find another CAV in as magnificent condition as this is.

Mike K.

Back