Doc's SL-C Build

In our quest to find seats that might work as an alternative I came across these GT3-ish seats. The guys were kind enough to send one with side mounts and upholstery to test fit in my SL-C. I have a drop pan on the driver's side and I put the console in place. My side cage fits inside the door panels but I put the doors on to check for clearance. I can say that I was somewhat surprised, pleasantly so, as the side rails fit into the drop pan with no clearance issues. The seat rails are simple enough to modify or make new to get the right rake. The seat has a crotch strap slot and the padding is comfortable for me ("fireplug 42" chest and 5'8", no short jokes please). I don't see how there could be clearance issues on the driver's side. The passenger side is indeed tight BUT the headrest just "kisses" the inside of the headliner. It may work on its own or with a little more seat rake. These were prototype seats (or "seconds") so the seat rails and some minor changes might be accomodated by the manufacturer. They seem eager to please if they can see SL-C owners using them! Now, I'm not certain on the price but the most expensive on their list runs for about $450/seat. I'm going to give it a shot, Dark blue leather bolsters and ivory insets.

Attachments

• _DSC2298_2.jpg
    _DSC2298_2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 630
  • _DSC2299_2.jpg
    _DSC2299_2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 638
  • _DSC2301_2.jpg
    _DSC2301_2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 607
  • _DSC2302_2.jpg
    _DSC2302_2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 564
  • _DSC2304_2.jpg
    _DSC2304_2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 604
  • _DSC2305_2.jpg
    _DSC2305_2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 556
  • _DSC2306_2.jpg
    _DSC2306_2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 626
  • _DSC2307_2.jpg
    _DSC2307_2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 594
  • _DSC2308_2.jpg
    _DSC2308_2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 613
  • _DSC2309_2.jpg
    _DSC2309_2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 525
also if you are interested i have a guy in dallas who sells race seats for $80 a seat with sliders 972-693-6616 he has 2 different kinds one like yours in the pic, and 1 that has the helmet wrap, that i really like

Hi Cam,

The seats are from Custom Racing Seats. I have been in contact with Mark. I sent an email to Mark letting him know my interest in a set and inquiring on the cost. I'll let everyone know the outcome. I'm going for this color scheme (out of an 05 Lambo):

Attachments

• 32-1.jpg
    32-1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 622

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make sure you try them with a helmet on. The clearance behind the helmet between it and the seat is as important as the clearance to the interior roof.

Thanks for the advice Howard. Hopefully I have taken the correct measurements and have sat in the prototype seat and assessed clearances correctly. The proof will now be when the seats arrive! In the meantime, I've got plenty to do.....

I thought I'd update the seat-quest:

The seats are not cheap at $995 each. But, they are very close dimensionally to the OEM SL-C seats and custom-finished in Blue leather and Bone Alcantra (ALCA 2911). I ordered extra blue hides for the interior to assure a color-match. Attached are side-by-side photos of Arizen prototype (left) vs SL-C (right). The padding for the SL-C seat is not installed. I have ordered OMP FIA-approved aluminum side mounts that should have plenty of seat-rake adjustments. BTW, the seats have sub-marine belt slots for 5-points.

Attachments

• suedes.jpg
    suedes.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 410
  • PA291969 copy 2.jpg
    PA291969 copy 2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 520
  • _DSC2312_2 copy.jpg
    _DSC2312_2 copy.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 651
  • _DSC2313_2 copy.jpg
    _DSC2313_2 copy.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 535
Alex,

There is nothing wrong with the stock seats. My "Fire-plug 42" physique was pretty snug without the padding! I needed a little more shoulder room and I liked the GT3-ish styling of the new seats. You could certainly recover the stock seats to match any decor you're after (even the one posted below :thumbsup:). Rob, Howard and Jack have replaced the stock seats as well, using adjustable-backed seats and I believe in all cases, some modification to the headrest areas. I have a dimension chart in development with a number of manufacture/models that I can post as soon as I get dimensions for my finished seats.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 669
I received my seats and they look great! I started an Exel file of seat dimensions that might be helpful to others saving a lot of time searching individual dimension sheets:

Attachments

• Seat Dimensions.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 359

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Oops, sorry Doc - I should have looked further back in the posts. Beautiful looking seats, I can't wait to see them in your car!

I'm finally at the point where I'll be able to start my build. Just need to insulate the shop ceiling and I'll be good to go.

I hope your build is going well.

Dave L

Dave,

FYI, I used a DIY spray foam insulation kit for walls and ceiling (sprayed over clean bare metal "R-panel"). The kit comes with two Manchester bottles, Parts A and B with a mixing spray gun and nozzle(s). The good news, it is effective insulation. The bad news...it's a pain to apply! They give you three "fan nozzles" in the kit and explain that the nozzles will clog up in about 2 minutes each (which they indeed do!). So, the race is on, up and down the ladder, fully dressed out in your bunny coveralls with hood, mask, gloves, shoe protectors, goggles. Your goggles will be opaque about 1/2-way through the job! Your shoes will be sticking to the drop cloths, your ladder will be coated with the overspray as it rains down like a blizzard. :furious: Cover everything with drop cloths!!! OR better yet.....have it done by someone else!

Back