Down, but not out

Re: Progress Report

I couldn't agree more Al.

If/when I do head back into the GT40 market it will have to be in an RCR. It is truly the 'next generation' GT40 replica. The pricing is right, I'm told that the build quality is spot on, and the body shape is true to the original, just as a GT40 'replica' should be.

Best of luck with progress.

before i ordered my gt40, i reduced the decision to two companies: decided to visit the usa distributor of one in oregon and rcr in MI. went to detriot. after about ten minutes in his shop looking at the cars and talking with fran, my mind was made up. didn't go to oregon. no need. the quality of rcr is unparalled (damn, no spell check!). oops, can i say damn? i ordered my in feburary and 16 weeks. of course, i wanted it sooner but didn't expect it. got the call last week. that's really quick. quality, good pricing, etc. can't wait. of course, i have to wait a little longer for him to modify the frame for my 4.6l dohc ford engine. well worth the wait.

ordered a porsche transaxle from fran. he is making an adapter to fit my 4.6. good idea about starting a new thread. thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter

I guess this is turning into my build thread, so I thought I'd mention Fran told me yesterday that the body for my RCR-40 is ready and has been pulled from the molds. Excellent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Also, Jerry Jansing is shipping my 01E up to Fran to allow him to finalize any mods required to use it in a right hand shift application. I plan to make another visit to Fran's shop after the Carlisle replica weekend at the end of May.

Best Regards,

Al

Hi Al

you certainly took the fast elevator to GT40 ownership after your problems with the RF crash, five weeks later and your RCR40 is all coming together. I must commend you on your determination and Fran for his professionalism in getting this pacage together for you, you deserve it.

Regards

Chris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter

Hi Chris,

It was a real pleasure to meet you in Detriot, and I especially would like to thank you for all of the effort you expended on behalf of the impacted RF customers to help get us back in the drivers seat.

With me being essentially a GT40 "greenhorn", the keen insights into Fran's design and platform architecture that you shared with me during my visit to RCR are greatly appreciated. I would note that your observations reinforced my initial impression and were definately a positive factor in my decision to quickly "start over" with an RCR.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Al

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Ready for pickup

Well, another RCR40 is ready for final inspection - about 7 weeks ahead of schedule! I guess I shouldn't have pulled the rear end & suspension out of my capri for a freshening up as now I need to hustle to get it rolling again and quicky make room in the garage.

My family and I are going to drive over to the shop and check it out on the 27th and I will be handing over the well earned final payment to RCR. I plan to have intercity pick it during the following week so I should have it shortly after that!

My hat's off to Fran and his entire crew - including of course "mr. big" (and yes, I am *afraid* to ask!)

Best Regards,

Al

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Al, don't be afraid to ask. Having spent the night with "Mr. Big" I can honestly tell you that ... well he snores like a freight train! :) :) Draw your own conclusions as to the rest. Congratulations on your RCR. Fran makes great cars.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Ready for pickup

Al,

Congrats on the progress - 7 weeks early?!?

It's a rare pleasure these days to learn about a company who makes it their mantra to 'promise 10 but deliver 12' or, more to the point in this case, promise a car in 16 weeks but actually deliver in 9.

Your experience is just one more reason I'll be spending time with Fran late next week and FINALLY have that good, close look at the newest arrival to your family you suggested to me some weeks ago... possibly even a Lola T70 we've heard about in the last few days.

Looking forward to catching up with you over the phone tonite.

Again, congratulations!

T.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
I believe Tim is going to be at Fran's shop today, and hopefully he will have some photos of my car to post when he returns. pepper

Al

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Al -

If Tim doesn't get any I'll be up on Saturday, so I'll get some for you if it's around.

Sandy

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Ready for pickup

Al,

By the time you'd posted this morning, I'd already been at RCR for two hours (!) and your car, which I looked for as soon as I walked through the door, is simply gorgeous. A wee bit of unsolicited advice: be careful how you look at your new baby when your wife is in the same room.

When you and I talked over the phone last week, you described the bodywork as being the finest you'd ever seen right out of a mold. Well, after having seen it for myself, no one, and I do mean NO ONE, could possibly arrive at a different conclusion. Of course, anyone reading this post who hadn't visited Fran at his shop would justifiably be wary as to the description (when you told me about the quality, Al, I have to confess that I found it more than just a little hard to believe).

Trust me, folks, this bodywork is stellar. Smooth as a baby's behind... no, more like Crown Royal on the rocks (actually, it's more like CR Special Reserve, but if I said that you'd think I was laying it on a bit thick. So I won't). AND it comes in different colors!

The bits to your car all all there. Fran gave me a guided tour of your car (and others including a certain Lola T70), pointing out some of the individual components while discussing the thought which had gone into the development of the chassis beforehand (chassis pics elsewhere on the forum are good, but they really don't do justice). He's one bright individual; the engineers I work with could learn a thing or twelve from him!

Any posting of pics will have to wait until next week; I'm here through Friday nite and then a non-stop home to Seattle followed by two days of working turns for vintage racers at Pacific Raceways. Monday, maybe. At the earliest.

Of the many victims of the sad RF saga, Fran told me that there have been only a handful who've not let what happened earlier this year get in the way of fulfilling the dream. You're among that group and, having seen both RF and RCR replicas, you ended up with a remarkable piece of gear.

After having seen Frans work, I'm confess to being envious of you, Ron, Bill, Sandy and many others who've made an RCR their GT of choice. One day I hope to add my name to that same list.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the update Tim! Don't worry, I can wait for photos. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I see that there is another forum "feature" Ron and I will have to tweak. It looks like the second part of the word >d i s c u s s i n g< is being interpreted as a smiley for >c u s s i ng< like this: cussing

Best Regards,

Al

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
A couple of photos from RCR

Here's a shot of my RCR40 which should be picked up early next week and Ron's Lola, which should also be ready to go very shortly. I can't wait to get it in my garage and sit in it for a day or so!

Attachments

• RCR40.jpg
    RCR40.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 629
  • RCR70.jpg
    RCR70.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 665

Ron Earp

Admin
Woohoo! A Lola taking shape! That GT40 doesn't look too bad either! :)

Fran, if you get some body pics in the next weeks don't hesitate to post them up! :)

Ron

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Dutton-

If you've got a few minutes, please post a few pics of your visit. I'm certain I'm not the only one who'd like to see them. If you'd rather not post them,PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Chris

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Here's few more to look at for the folks that are now in the process of booking their travel to Detroit :)

Regards,

Al

Attachments

• DSCF0832.jpg
    DSCF0832.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF0833.jpg
    DSCF0833.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCF0834.jpg
    DSCF0834.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 461