Dzus Fasteners

All,

I have couple of friends that might be able to help us out. One works at a Water jet place and the other is a expert welder. Both could help us out but I would be pulling in a couple of favors. What is the make and model of the DZUS fastener we would want to use? I could get a bunch of fasteners and have some steel cut out and have my welder silver solder them together, then get them plated. I would not ask for any profit just the cost of materials (Fasteners, sheet steel and plating). Also I would prefer to get a good drawing of the profile. Any takers?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
That would be good if you want to pull them favors!

I think their may be a couple of head sizes used (5/6) from what feedback that I have, but the size that looks like the samples on the real GT40 are the EHF-6-xx series, this link has both, and the site also has bulk pricing on them, not sure how good compaired to other suppliers.

PDF of the racing lineup.
http://www.dfsintl.com/images/Raceline_Fasteners.pdf

The main site is of course www.dfsintl.com for these. The other site listed is the original company (http://www.dfcis.com/catack.html) that made them, but looks like not as good the EHF6's at the top of the post.

The only problem with doing them is that the lenghts of the Dzus fastners may be different for some cars, not sure how standard that is.

Richard I can shoot you a revised DXF file for the water jet fellow for pricing if that helps any. I did a revision today to make it a bit thinner and will post is shortly.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Dan was right it was a bit FAT, this is the thinner version which looks a little better.

Sandy

Attachments

• 63600-GT40HoodDzusV2Both.gif
    63600-GT40HoodDzusV2Both.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 390
Richard & Sandy,

First let me say I'm sorry for screwing up the whole thread by posting pictures that are the wrong size!

That last drawing looks good to me. Sandy, I think you nailed it. I was planning to just have the tabs made and have a friend of mine attach them to my dzuses (is that a word?) because I already installed them on the car. Maybe you could offer them both ways, just the tabs for the guys who want to retro fit and complete for the guys that don't have theirs installed yet. That way you have 2 markets!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Not to worry Dan, I think the last one looks the best. When it comes down to it I have all 3 CAD drawings saved and will let everyone have a go and comment. I do agree, will need at least to offer as just the Fob part since many folks might have different parts fitted to their hoods that are being used.

In any case I appreciate the feedback. An I think more then enough folks have already expressed interest, just a matter of getting the pricing out of the way. Just to be clear, I'm with Richard, what ever the cost is that is what will be charged for the parts.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Just downloaded the EMachine tool and imported the DXF for the fob, in .079 4130 steel, no plated finish,

Qty ~100 (+/- 5 as they do it) came out to $185.22 Shipped

that is with a 20 day lead time. Not sure how 100 cost $4 unless additional finish work was done or rapid proto time was requested.

The E-Machine tools is a bit primitive, but it works well with this simple drawing. I'm sure I'll be using it for other stuff (Driving light trim...).

For those that are interested take a look at the drawings, and see if the last image posted will work. Then we can go either Richard's pal or Emachine with out too much trouble.

Are 4 concidered a set or is it 6?

Thanks all for feedback!

Sandy

Qty ~100 (+/- 5 as they do it) came out to $185.22 Shipped

that is with a 20 day lead time. Not sure how 100 cost $4

I don't understand the math... is the cost 185.22 per 100 units or 400.00 per 100 units?

Will they make you a sample for approval?

Please excuse this question, but is 4130 steel hard enough for what we need?

Sandy,

Have you used Emachine before? I have and the work is done in India. Not to say that it is bad, but had a few problems with quality. For what we are making it does not matter if it is off by a few thousand's, but what I was making it did make all the difference in the world. The part I was getting made was milled from both sides and the alignment between each side was off by almost a 32nd. Had to return and wait another 24 days to get the corrected part. They also had another mistake that should have been caught but they sent it to me anyway. Well I will talk with my water jet friend tomorrow and see when he can cut some up for us. I guess since the sizes of each persons fasteners are different, I will just get the tabs made. I will only charge postage plus what little costs for the material. I will let everybody know when I can get them made.

Dan,

4130 is a alloy steel and strong enough to get the job done. The Emachine 4.00 cost was for each part or 400.00 for 100. (this was Bob Putnam’s price). Sandy did it again and came up with 185.22 shipped or 1.85 each.

For .071 4130 steel the price per piece would be about .16 and a 50 dollar investment will make about 324 of them.

Dan,

Here is a description of the 4130 steel from aircraft spruce.

This chromium-molybdenum alloy is one of the most widely used aircraft steels because of its combination of weldability, ease of fabrication and mild hardenability. In relatively thin sections, it will respond to heat treatment to high strength levels and yet, in the normalized condition, it has adequate strength for many applications. Used for the manufacture of parts and components. Tensile strength 90,000 PSI. Furnished cold-rolled and oiled in sheet thicknesses of .025-.080 inch. Sheets of .090 inch and greater thickness are hot-rolled, pickled and oiled.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
You are the man Richard! I did not know that they shipped it out of the country. For this part would not be bad, but very good to know. It is in any case a very quick way to figure out how much something should cost for comparison.

Also IF your friend does do proto or small run would be great to post so we can send other him work as well.

Let me know which of the Fobs is the one that is selected (I vote for the last) and I'll shoot you the DXF for it so they can have a look, that is unless Bob shows up with what he has.

Also Richard, if you need any help with the labor part (Shipping, etc) I am happy to help as well.

Oh, shoot me PM with the email you will want me to send the DXF file to.

Sandy

That's bizarre... I give you my word that the E-machine price I quoted was accurate at the time. Absolutely no markup on my end. It seems that the latest water-jet processes are much cheaper than before. But that's a very good thing.

My profile is close to yours, but was taken from an original piece.

Bob,

I have had price changes of 10 to 20% in just one day. It is the workload on the machine you plan on using at the time of the quote. Had a part go from 1200.00 to 900.00 in a week. If you could send a drawing I would be glad to ship you a stack for free to get an accurate drawing. If not I will just use Sandy’s, as it looks great to me and I don't think anybody will every notice the difference.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys,

Before a hard order is placed, do you think we should publicize this to the forum to see if we can get a large enough order together to drive the price down a bit?

Just a thought,
Lynn

Man you guys don't waste any time!

I would like to have the original profile from Bob also. I will be glad chip in for Bob's tabs. If not, than Sandy's design is fine with me too.

Lynn has a good point.

If I understand correctly - Sandy's pricing is $1.85 ea and Bob's $4.00 ea? Hell, for what's it's worth, I'm not going to argue over pocket change. I'll take 2 sets from the one who runs with it to production!

Chris

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Richards price is the best, and it really was not Bob's price, but what Bob got quoted from the folks at E-Machine, my quote was from them as well, but seems pricing has probabally changed since he did the quote.

I would expect the cost of shipping will be more then the parts...

Sandy

Here are the measurements taken from an original Mk I. (I didn't adjust the shape of Sandy's drawing)

To me, the vertical edge, and the top edge look to be close to 90degrees.

Attachments

• 63662-dzus2.gif
    63662-dzus2.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 404

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Count me in. I'll take a dozen, if that meets a minimum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back