Dzus Fasteners

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ok, here is one that is the one that Ben provided. Ben have a look and see if this looks correct. The odd thing is that I'll bet their was several sizes as I think the head for the part number given by was .75 (even in the photo might look like 2 sizes, but hard to tell), and the other are about this size. But the nice thing is should fit both no problem.

Any-a-ways, here you go for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 63668-GT40HoodDzusV3Both.gif
    63668-GT40HoodDzusV3Both.gif
    50.4 KB · Views: 441
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here is one that is the one that Ben provided. Ben have a look and see if this looks correct. The odd thing is that I'll bet their was several sizes as I think the head for the part number given by was .75 (even in the photo might look like 2 sizes, but hard to tell), and the other are about this size. But the nice thing is should fit both no problem.

Any-a-ways, here you go for your viewing pleasure.

[/ QUOTE ]

The diameter of the head of the dzus fastner is 0.75 and slightly domed.

The lever isn't brazed or soldered to the fastener, it wiggles (is there slot cut into the head of the fastner and a pin joining the two underneath?)

Here's my drawing, I was wrong about the top and the side being 90 degrees. The bottom of the lever isn't quite right (but it's the best I'm going to get at 2:30am)

(the drawing program, it's not a cad program, apparently adds the arrow heads to the ends of the lines, so the dimension lines are to the base, not the tips of the arrow heads)

Attachments

• 63670-dzus3.gif
    63670-dzus3.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 440
You guys are getting sooo close - but are missing the secret retaining tab. They must drill just below the head and use a pin to secure the wing.

dzuswing.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A couple of questions

Could you buy just one piece and use it as key ring fob that will also open the Dzus devices? (Much as I like the idea of the authentic look I thonk the authorities at annual MOT insection would consifer them dangerus)

Second with the tab design does the tab get drilled and a pin inserted or is the tab just bent over (like a tab washer)?

I would also be in for at least two sets - I think I will have to have Dzus fastners with and without
the tabs for the annual test.

Cheers
Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Could you buy just one piece and use it as key ring fob that will also open the Dzus devices?

[/ QUOTE ]
Normally I use a penny in the jaws of a pair of pliers, but I like the key ring fob idea.

For something a little bigger, you can get something like this:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=MOR-71600 (it's about 5" long)

I just noticed that Moroso also makes a screwdriver-like tool that I haven't seen before.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=MOR-71606

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bob -

Thanks for getting us back on track!

The one Bob posted is what I vote for, looks good, the tab can be used or easily ground off for those that solder/weld (for chrome plate IMO this might be better). Looks proportional if that makes any sense.

I'm sure back in the 60's it took all of 5 minutes to draw the ones that were used on the cars with a pencil, compass, and a ruler...

Sandy

I would like to got with Bob's profile also. The only suggestion I would make would be to make the tab that fits into the dzus longer. I don't plan on using it myself, but if I was going to, it would be to short for my existing hardwware. Just a thought.

Who is the treasurer on this deal and what can I do to help?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
555-82285.jpg

Part # 555-82285 JEG'S 1/4 Turn Fastener Tool w/ Billet Grip

I got this one from Jegs, but by all means get the little handles or one of these tools shown in this thread. If you are reading this thread and wondering what all the fuss is about beyond looking original, DO NOT USE A STANDARD SCREW DRIVER!! You may get away with it for a while, but a blade screw driver will not properly grab the arc in the dzus slot. One day you'll get a tight one and, while bearing down, it is going to slip, because if you don't keep the screw driver perfectly perpendicular, you will end up with all the force on one corner or the other of the blade. That single point of contact will then start sliding towards the bottom of the arc. And, once its started, you won't be able to react quickly enough to stop it from sliding right on out of the other side of the slot and then across your paint. So, trust me, if you buy dzus fasteners, get these little lever arms or a proper tool with them before you gouge your car. Or, get it after you've scratched your baby, but you will eventually get one! At the very least, you can get a thick, wide blade screw driver and carefully grind it to match the arc in the slot. Keep in mind, though, that there is a reason why many of these tools look like Snoopy in profile: all slots are not exactly the same (the Jegs tool above actually has three different arcs: two on one end and one on the other). You can use the penny in a pair of pliers trick as well, very cost effective and cool idea, but just make sure you have a pocket full of change for the different arcs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Lynn - the hard headed Norwegian whose been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

Just an update,

My water-jet friend George was on vacation and just got back Sunday night. He called me back yesterday afternoon and we discussed the part. He agreed to do them for us (in about two weeks). He stated we would do one row 9 across the 18x36 material and verify the results. He also said that the parts would be still held together with a little tab between them to keep them from falling. This tab will be very small and the parts will brake apart with just bending. I also order the material 18x36x.071 4130 steel 44.25 to my door. Should make 324 of them.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Great, and I don't know if you got the PM, but if their is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I thought about that but, if you have to weld/solder probably going to chrome plate, also might be more difficult to silver solder (don't know much about that and how related to SS or welding disimilar metals like SS and 4130). I also looked around for the Dzus pop ups in stainless and I didn't find any listed, might exist, just didn't see them. I was thinking along those lines and then would not have to do any plating. The chrome does look nice on them in any case.

Sandy

All,

I got both 4130 and SS material. Just received the SS 14 gauge .075 12X30 for 41.37 at my door. So when they are complete you can decide if you want SS or 4130. Costs for each so far are $.14 for 4130 and $.23 for SS.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Great, by the way can you give up your metal source? I have been using www.onlinemetals.com now an again with the refer a friend discount not too bad, but sometimes expensive.

Also put me down for 10 of each if you are collecting that info now.

Sandy

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

Let me ask, are you only making the lever (up to the buyer to attach to the zues fastener) or are you going to affix the lever to a zues fastener to make a complete unit?

Also, post how you would like to receive payment.

Back