Electric Power Steering

I know this was brought up in another thread but I can't seem to find it right now. Fran, I believe you pointed out some performance electric power steering options for the SL-C a while back and unfortunately it looks as though I forgot to save them. I wasn't able to find much with Google and I was hoping you could list them again. If anyone else remembers please let me know.

I looked at the flamingriver unit but I can't see how they justify 6k for it? EPS looks like the same unit as UniSteer. I'm looking for a system that that is speed sensitive that has more assist at lower speeds.

Roger Reid

Supporter
There is some information to be found on the f actory 5 forum. A controller, Toyota MR2 pump, and a 1990 ish power steering rack. Look for user name "crash".

The system we use is by DC electronics in the UK.....as its purely electric in line assist ,if it fails it defaults to a truly manual system, and as we use a stock SL-C manual steering rack its still has a normal SL-C feel.

I know the guys at Unisteer well and the system they sell is similar in concept but is not tunable on the fly and is not "man" enough for use on a motor vehicle....theirs is used primarily in off road ATV applications.

The system we use is by DC electronics in the UK.....as its purely electric in line assist ,if it fails it defaults to a truly manual system, and as we use a stock SL-C manual steering rack its still has a normal SL-C feel.

I know the guys at Unisteer well and the system they sell is similar in concept but is not tunable on the fly and is not "man" enough for use on a motor vehicle....theirs is used primarily in off road ATV applications.

Ok, so you're running the Flaming River (DC Electronics Motorsport EPAS). Has it been a reliable system and did you have to pay $6,000 for it? I was looking at the DC Corsa options and the GM NSK systems but they all seem to have problems and as you mentioned are not tunable. Seems like DC is the only real option for a good EPAS system.

The MR2 power steering system isn't electric, it's hydraulic with an electric pump as far as I know.

Last edited:
MG TF vvc unit is speed variable lightweight electrical . The other unit (same motor as MG) that is common to use here in the UK is the GM Corsa B or C . They can all be found s/h for less than £100 and interface boxes with adjustment (pot) are about £30. I believe that Fiat also uses this unit on some models

Back