ENGINE IN LEVEL

THE ENG+TRANS MOUNTS THAT GTD SENT ME DOESENT MOUNT THE ENGINE AND TRANNY IN LEVEL WITH CHASSI . IF I LOWER THE REAR BRACKETS 1" IT SEEMS OK BUT A LOT OF WORK HASTO BE DONE ON THE OIL PAN AND CHASSIS CROSSMEMBER AT THE REAR..ANYBODY WITH SAME PROBLEMS????????

Assuming 302 with Renault here,,,,you probably be better of using different transaxel mounts for sure. I used a pair made by Pontiac. It lowered the end of the trany by 1". Very small (easy) amount of cutting required for this.

Also, pay attention to your intake manifold. Edelbrock's RPM manifolds are slanted forward giving the impresion the whole engine is slanted which is not the case.

Malcolm

Supporter
All GTDs have this issue. It is standard design. Most GTDs use a tilt plate under the carb to make that level. Real Steel sell. I can't remember what number of degress it is but it is not a lot. Possibly a 5 degree plate?That is the set up I run without problems.

A number of guys have used different rear gearbox mounts with success.

Just keep your sump level above the lower chassis line or you may get a sudden loss of oil pressure on speed bumps!

The only other route is a complete chassis play around which lowers engine and box significantly. Depending on stage of construction this is a worthwhile thing to do in my opinion.

No engine should be level and specaily a V engine as they tend to air lock in the heads so the engine must be 5 to 10 degrease up at the front or towards the thermostate so any air left in the block and heads run to the front of engine. Water pumps, pump water not air and With a GT40 you also have to take an air bleed from the top of the inlet manafold at its highest point and run that back to your header tank. Other wise you will end up with water pump cavertation and air locking and over heating and this will happen very, very quickly. NickNZ

Probably asking a dumb question here.......but, to where is the other end of the steam take off plumbed? Into the header tank or ??

Thanks.

Back