WANTED: GT40 MkII Engine & Trans Oil Coolers

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
Looking to buy MkII engine and trans oil coolers (Continental style) reproductions are fine. I need them to have the inlet and outlet bases already modified as well. (Like the ones pictured.)

Only interested in quality, ready to run parts. No repaired damage.

Let me know what you got.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 9.58.31 AM.png

The bases were bespoke castings (not modified) and the coolers were ribbed on the side, not smooth as pictured. The standoffs pictured are also not correct.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
The bases were bespoke castings (not modified) and the coolers were ribbed on the side, not smooth as pictured. The standoffs pictured are also not correct.
Like the ad says, reproductions are fine. If I can find originals in good shape, sure. But, I'm assuming reproductions will be easier to come by...

Rune

Supporter
I think they where used on Continental aircraft engines. So a search in aircraft salvage ground can be a start.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
So I’ve managed to find readily available oil cooler reproductions of the originals. P/N 8000683

So that part is solved but the hard part now will be finding the bases with the inlet and outlet fittings at the bottom. The original bases I guess were modified to achieve this…? P/N 537312

Attachments

• image003.jpeg
    image003.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 28
  • image001.jpeg
    image001.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 31

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I have 4 or 5 of these if you need a pattern drawn up. Cessna, Pipers… continental engines used various oilcoolers like these. Search for aero oilcoolers cessna, or harrison continental.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
So I’m looking to get some oil cooler bases made from billet that have the inlet and outlet provisions side by side, like this picture shows. Can someone tell me what size these fittings/threads are?

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 9.58.31 AM.png

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Billet based will have to be bespoke milled and tapped /drilled. Or just weld #10 bungs on original bases and weld up the other holes. Plentiful of these bases on ebay.

Clean ally well as its rubbish to tig weld.

Billet based will have to be bespoke milled and tapped /drilled. Or just weld #10 bungs on original bases and weld up the other holes. Plentiful of these bases on ebay.

Clean ally well as its rubbish to tig weld.
Most of the aircraft bases also have a temperature regulated bypass on the base, that can be adjusted or removed as well.

Neil

Supporter
Most of the aircraft bases also have a temperature regulated bypass on the base, that can be adjusted or removed as well.
Removing the temperature regulator would be a mistake. It bypasses the cooler when the oil is below the set temperature, allowing it to come up to operating temperature quicker.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I have my temperature valve in my remote filter adapter on the block, and welded on AN#10 bungs to the plate. So its not a problem controling oil temp.

Back