Engines HP

I raced Ski Boats a few yrs ago and got talking to guy running a BBC injected Ski Boat. They ran a short stroke crank (3.75")with a big bore and long rods, He said that thing would sit on 7500rpm (100mph) all day long and all season with very little maintenance between meetings. The 509 BBC in the Mclarens ran a std 4:0" stroke with a 4.5" bore. I'm a 4.250" stoke but want to go 565"(Denny Hulme, 72 Riverside spec) 850hp. Getting back to the original discussion, I would go for handling and HP in the right measrue of both, Who decides what that is is the guy writing the cheques, BOTTOM LINE

Cheers Leon.

I raced Ski Boats a few yrs ago and got talking to guy running a BBC injected Ski Boat. They ran a short stroke crank (3.75")with a big bore and long rods, He said that thing would sit on 7500rpm (100mph) all day long and all season with very little maintenance between meetings. The 509 BBC in the Mclarens ran a std 4:0" stroke with a 4.5" bore. I'm a 4.250" stoke but want to go 565"(Denny Hulme, 72 Riverside spec) 850hp. Getting back to the original discussion, I would go for handling and HP in the right measrue of both, Who decides what that is is the guy writing the cheques, BOTTOM LINE

Cheers Leon.

I don't know about that, Ive told more than a few guys capable of writing big cheques to phuck off when they start coming up with stupid combinations....

I did say Handling and HP in the write measure. Equal proportions of both I would also tell them to "sex and travel" if they were tryin to stick a 1000hp in stock HQ.
And not everyone has your ethics Jac, someone else who is just counting the $$$ will have done it for them

Cheers Leon

I'm a 4.250" stoke but want to go 565"(Denny Hulme, 72 Riverside spec) 850hp. Getting back to the original discussion, I would go for handling and HP in the right measrue of both...Cheers Leon.

Hi Leon,

565 sounds awesome! 4.6 bore is almost mainstream these days on larger BBC combos so it would basically be rude not to! I have basically done the SBC version of your approach. I am limited to a std deck height and 4.185 x 4 with 6 inch rods is about the practical limit. I needed something that could handle the wide gear spacing and tall final drive of the 930 box.

I ended up with an extremely tractable and friendly EFI hilborn 440ci unit that makes about 600hp @ 6300 and 580tq @ 4500 on pump gas. Still pretty early days for me in learning the car but I tend to go quicker in the tighter stuff getting a good flow on in 3rd than trying to fight it point and squirt style in second.

Cheers, Andrew

Back