Engines HP

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There used to be a video of that doing a rolling start at Innis or some track down there. It was loose through the first 3 gears at which point he got out of it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vm9vpXhbzyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All the talk of HP is interesting. I used to attend a couple of yearly dyno competitions here on the front range of Colorado. I had a 24V that dyno'd 580hp/1250ftlbs at the rear wheels on diesel with a little water. The gasser guys would show up with their 600hp Camaros and Mustangs and put down 310hp at the rear wheels if it was a really strong car.

Laying big patches of rubber shifting into 3rd is a lot of fun no doubt. For me its not really what makes GT40 ownership special.

Hi Kirby and everyone else
Let's see
Bragging rights.
When you get older and more mature this doesn't mean a bag of shit.
Top speed.
Not legal and limited by the aerodynamics of the car not unlimited HP.
Quarter mile.
Most of our driving is done over hundreds and thousands of miles.
Have fun.
This is probably the most important one as we build and drive for enjoyment.
Road racing.
Not legal in most places and most likely to get you or someone else killed.

The above is just my humble opinion and is not intended to anger anyone.

Dimi.

I don't get into the "bragging" thing either but as for top speed, I live in TX and here we have something known as the Texas Mile (TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT). As for the quarter mile, here in the US that is a well established measure of performance and you can race on drag strips close to where I am.

So, those things may not mean much where you live, but where I do it's another story.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I don't get into the "bragging" thing either but as for top speed, I live in TX and here we have something known as the Texas Mile (TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT). As for the quarter mile, here in the US that is a well established measure of performance and you can race on drag strips close to where I am.

So, those things may not mean much where you live, but where I do it's another story.

So you are looking at an analysis of a few seconds on a straight, quarter mile or a blast down a runway for a car that was designed 50 years ago to win a 24 hour race.

It also had to slow down and go around corners
Overall package is more important

Ian

So you are looking at an analysis of a few seconds on a straight, quarter mile or a blast down a runway for a car that was designed 50 years ago to win a 24 hour race.

It also had to slow down and go around corners
Overall package is more important

Ian

I don't necessarily disagree on balance but then again, that is your opinion Ian. Drag racing may not be popular over where you are, but it is here and if someone wanted to bump their engine's output up to get a good 1/4 mile time then that's their business. It's their car. They can do as they please just as you can. It might be more important to you that it handle a certain way where others may consider the ability to top out on the straights of equal or even greater importance. Some tracks are more geared to higher speeds after all.

When Shelby and crew moved to the 427 they gave up some handling characteristics but gained much more in top end and acceleration so like it or not, the total package favored slightly lesser handling to gain power.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If you are going to drag race how will you fit the necessary 4 link suspension?

Drag slicks - expect to break transaxle so

Etc!

Hey I have 256hp out of the Morgan / Rover 23.9 litre tuned lump in mine
It has been north of 145 mph on Mulsanne Straight. Would I rather have 350hp sure

But in 9 years of driving it is the only place and time that I have ever got near top end perhaps nudged 140 on a runway but there was Armco at the end coming up really quickly.

And for those interested in 1966 the Mk2 was said to have 495 hp and was over 200 mph for about 6 seconds per lap

I believe that puts this I not perspective

Ian

No one ever said that the GT40 makes a good drag car Ian. Just said that if someone wants to get a better 1/4 mile time or whatever it's their business.

What should put things into perspective is that they opted to put the 427 in and it won. Shelby could have opted for a less powerful engine but he didn't. He opted to get more power. More power does not only mean more top end but also potentially quicker (like a drag race) acceleration Ian. It's not just the very top speed just like it's not just peak horsepower that you look at.

So to put it simply, all other things being equal, more power applied correctly yields lower lap times...and lower ETA's on the drag strip. If someone wants to put more into their engine, I don't see why people are so eager to be a "hater" as we call it here in the US. It's their car and their money.

If you are going to drag race how will you fit the necessary 4 link suspension?

Drag slicks - expect to break transaxle so

Etc!

Hey I have 256hp out of the Morgan / Rover 23.9 litre tuned lump in mine
It has been north of 145 mph on Mulsanne Straight. Would I rather have 350hp sure

But in 9 years of driving it is the only place and time that I have ever got near top end perhaps nudged 140 on a runway but there was Armco at the end coming up really quickly.

And for those interested in 1966 the Mk2 was said to have 495 hp and was over 200 mph for about 6 seconds per lap

I believe that puts this I not perspective

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What should put things into perspective is that they opted to put the 427 in and it won. Shelby could have opted for a less powerful engine but he didn't. He opted to get more power.

Actually, I think he opted for more reliability at the same power. Carry on...

Actually, I think he opted for more reliability at the same power. Carry on...

I'd love to see the dyno results for the 302 that made as much as the 427 in the 1960s. I truly don't believe that 302 was making that much power and even if it could peak at it, the curve would look more like a fang than a wedge.

Point taken on reliability though for sure.

According to Gurney info...
289 Iron heads 448hp @ 325 cu in
289 GW 506hp @ 289ci
305 GW 520hp @ 305ci @ 7800 for both GW versions- rev kit used.

Something that very few people use and should especially with roller cam pushrod motors.

Should also mention these figures were obtained on gasoline- not alcohol!

Last edited:
Guys,

My books say that the 427FEs made significantly more power than the 289s did. The loss in "balance" was due to the increased weight...not excess power.

Now, take a modern 427FE with lots of aly tidbits, and you're not adding much more weight that the original all iron 302. Even better, use an aly FE bock, OR, build a big inch small block with aly accessories and get all of the power with even better weight distribution than the original car. Now add better brakes, better tires and better shocks.

You can't convince me that these cars can handle 500-600 bhp.

I drive mine to work regularly, take my kids to school, and zip around on back roads with no problem. I've never lost it, or even thought I was going to lose it. I just can't see how I would somehow feel safer with 200 horsepower less.

Ron

OK guys. after some advice. Planning what engine/trans combo, power etc.

Expect the finished car to be somewhere around 1050-1100kg if all goes to plan. Most likely a porker g86 box.

Rego engine will be bog std Windsor 302. Post rego thinking an ali SBF (cause its lighter and pension fund willing) etc 327 and hoping for somewhere between 400-425hp - revvy, reasonably torguey and reliable motor. Not over-cooked.

Will I want more? Does this engine/trans combo work well? Is the G86 strong enough for the longer term plan? Is there another combo I should be considering?

Edit for typo:

You can't convince me that these cars CAN'T handle 500-600 bhp.

Guys,

My books say that the 427FEs made significantly more power than the 289s did. The loss in "balance" was due to the increased weight...not excess power.

Now, take a modern 427FE with lots of aly tidbits, and you're not adding much more weight that the original all iron 302. Even better, use an aly FE bock, OR, build a big inch small block with aly accessories and get all of the power with even better weight distribution than the original car. Now add better brakes, better tires and better shocks.

You can't convince me that these cars can handle 500-600 bhp.

I drive mine to work regularly, take my kids to school, and zip around on back roads with no problem. I've never lost it, or even thought I was going to lose it. I just can't see how I would somehow feel safer with 200 horsepower less.

Ron

I like the way the full sized engine fills out the engine/transaxle bay.
Shelby aluminum 427 FE (now 481ci)

Attachments

• rearboxs.jpg
    rearboxs.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_0322.jpg
    100_0322.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 294
Back