F1 2010

Qoute from M. Ghosn to reporters a short while ago.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
“You will have to be patient. We will make an announcement on our participation in Formula One before the end of the year.”

Doesn't sound too promising.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re my previous, Renaults Formula One Director Jean-Francois Caubet said the budget for 2010 has been approved AND the team will race in F1 next year. Ghosn and Caubet are normally in accord and were still in accord this morning. They have the drivers under contract,they are enrolled in the 2010 season and the season has in effect already begun.
The only thing different Ghosn said this morning was that expects the team to return to a good level.
It does sound very promising.

Somehow I don't think they are telling porkies.

Last edited:
"The only thing different Ghosn said this morning was that expects the team to return to a good level. "

No Pressure then!!!:cry:
I imagine that knowing the toughness of Mr.G the dictate is: Be in the top 4 by mid year or forget 2011 and beyond!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like a volte-face from some of the info I had about Renault. Johns post above does have a ring of truth after all.
This from the telegraph:

Renault to decide on F1 future 'by end of year'

French team Renault will decide by the end of the year whether to stay in Formula One following Toyota's exit from the sport.

By Telegraph staff
Published: 3:25PM GMT 05 Nov 2009

renault-f1_1517298c.jpg
Out manoeuvre: Renault will deicde on whether to follow Toyota out of F1 by the end of the year Photo: EPA

"You will have to be patient," Renault chief executive Carlos Ghosn told reporters. "We will make an announcement on our participation in F1 before the end of the year."

Sole tyre supplier Bridgestone has also said it will leave at the end of 2010.
Renault won the 2005 and 2006 championships with Fernando Alonso but the Spaniard has now left for rivals Ferrari. Title sponsor ING has also departed, leaving a big hole in its budget.
While any Renault announcement has been put off it is entirely possible that it will decide to quit a sport in which it had its least competitive season since 2001, one in which it was drawn into the hugely damaging race-fixing scandal that saw team principal Flavio Briatore and director of engineering Pat Symonds banned from the sport.
The Renault team also received a ban, suspended for two years, as punishment.
However, the FIA’s leniency on that occasion is believed to have been partly down to assurances from Renault that it would stay in the sport. They recently signed Robert Kubica to replace lead driver Fernando Alonso, strongly indicating they will compete in 2010.
It is understood that the French manufacturer may try to sell the team in the manner that Honda did to Ross Brawn last winter. A deal with Briatore had been mooted before the Italian was banned and no doubt there would be other interested buyers.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I might as well put it here as anywhere. The next two rounds of A1Gp have been postponed. The organisers are keen to let everyone know they are not cancelled, just postponed. Got it?

Autosport have a different slant on it:

A1GP cancels China and Malaysia<!-- end title -->

<TABLE height=0% cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=news_article_author vAlign=top align=left width="50%"><!-- credit --><!-- end credit --></TD><TD class=news_article_date align=right width="50%">Thursday, November 5th 2009, 09:50 GMT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Chinese and Malaysian rounds of A1GP have been cancelled because the series' rescue package has not materialised in time.
The scrapping of the races at Zhuhai and Sepang follows the cancellation of the opening round at Sufers Paradise in Australia last month.
This week's AUTOSPORT magazine reports that A1GP's administrator is hoping to sell the entire fleet of cars to someone wanting to continue the series, although the cars will need to be modified to meet the FIA's latest head-restraint and side-impact regulations.
Several key A1GP personnel have now left the company and the series' equipment has been put into storage after the lease on its hangar at Silverstone expired last week.
<!-- End Main Box--><TABLE class=smalltext cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
space.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- function google_ad_request_done(google_ads) { var s = ''; var i; if (google_ads.length == 0) { return; } if (google_ads[0].type == "text") { for(i=0; i < google_ads.length; ++i) { if(i !=0) { s += '
'; } s += '' + '' + '' + google_ads.line1 + '
' + '' + google_ads.line2 + ' ' + google_ads.line3 + '
' + '' + google_ads.visible_url + '

'; } } document.write(s); return; } google_ad_client = 'ca-haymarketgroup'; // substitute your client_id google_ad_channel = 'autosport'; google_ad_output = 'js'; google_max_num_ads = '3'; google_ad_type = 'text'; google_encoding = 'iso-8859-1'; google_safe = 'high'; google_adtest = 'off'; google_ad_section = 'default'; google_hints = 'A1GP, motorsport'; // --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-haymarketgroup&output=js&lmt=1257544103&num_ads=3&channel=autosport&region=default&ad_type=text&adtest=off&ea=0&oe=iso-8859-1&flash=10.0.22.87&hints=A1GP%2C%20motorsport&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autosport.com%2Fnews%2Freport.php%2Fid%2F80017&adsafe=high&dt=1257544112875&correlator=1257544112875&frm=0&ga_vid=2116109969.1253316704&ga_sid=1257544113&ga_hid=514812524&ga_fc=1&u_tz=0&u_his=0&u_java=1&u_h=768&u_w=1024&u_ah=768&u_aw=1024&u_cd=16&u_nplug=0&u_nmime=0&biw=996&bih=612&eid=36815003&ref=http%3A%2F%2Faolsearch.aol.co.uk%2Faol%2Fsearch%3Fs_it%3Dsb_uk%26q%3DA1gp&fu=0&ifi=1&dtd=78"></SCRIPT>
Probably ok for Hillclimbing ??

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
They are done and dusted. Just no one has buried them yet.
The chassis would be OK for hill climbing but the Ferrari engine very expensive to maintain....Drop a Ford in?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I guess the cars will end up in an auction along with the organisers equipment , whatever that comprises of. All a bit sad because it means a bunch of guys of all nationalities all laid off in the run up to Christmas.
Fancy going hill climbing Pete ?

The LS7 may be a bit large for the space normally occupied by the V8 from the 430, though I'd be happy to be corrected.

On the other hand, the Audi may well fit. Not that much cheaper, but good power and lots of them around.....

On topic though, does anybody (Dave) have any info on whether Sauber are any closer to a start?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry - no info about Sauber. All very quiet really but I imagine it will happen.
Sauber is highly regarded by all who meet him and a gentleman as well.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul - I had applied on the U.S.A. immigration lottery but unfortuantely it threw me out as I'm a white Anglo Saxon with, apparently, a touch of Nordic. If I came from Bangladesh or Lithuania I might have been OK. Hence I've changed back to the Union Flag.
Anyway it's a poignant day today for our flag.

A new milestone - 200 deaths is todays figure for the UK in the current conflict and 231 in total.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Alonso makes first visit to Ferrari factory<!-- end title -->

<TABLE height=0% cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=news_article_author vAlign=top align=left width="50%"><!-- credit -->By Matt Beer<!-- end credit --></TD><TD class=news_article_date align=right width="50%">Friday, November 6th 2009, 17:29 GMT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fernando Alonso paid his first visit to his new Ferrari team today.
The double world champion has not yet been released from his Renault contract and cannot test for Ferrari until the testing ban ends in February next year, but went to Maranello to meet his new colleagues.
Alonso had meetings with team boss Stefano Domenicali, the Ferrari engineers, and chairman Luca di Montezemolo, as well as visiting the windtunnel to check progress on the 2010 car and working on his seating position.
He also took to the Fiorano test track in a Ferrari 458 Italia road car

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Grand Prix. com

The discussions over the British Grand Prix remain stuck at the moment with Silverstone having put what it says is its best possible offer to the Formula One group and Bernie Ecclestone saying that the circuit should sign the deal that he wants, which would cost the track more money. The two parties are both trying to position things so as to avoid being blamed should be the negotiations fail. There is nonetheless pressure on Ecclestone from the motorsport industry for a British GP, which is considered to be important for the industry. The British government (or at least the existing British government, as there must be a General Election before June 3 2010) is not interested in helping out. The Labour Party has long avoided being too closely linked with Ecclestone after the 1997 scandal over a donation to the party. It remains to be seen whether the Conservatives will do to help but the signs are that they will take over as polls suggest the party is now well clear in opinion polls with the latest showing the Conservatives at 41%, Labour at 27% and the Liberal Democrats at 17% and under the British first-past-the-post system this would result in a landslide victory for the Conservatives.
However, a solution is need long before that happens and Silverstone says it is unwilling to endanger the economic future of the circuit by agreeing to Ecclestone's terms. He has compromised in Germany, where he has agreed to help Hockenheim, and so arguments that he will not compromise on the fees are slightly hollow.
One way in which he could agree to reduce the costs is if the teams agree to a 20th race. This would mean that he could raise more money but could charge two events less. It is rumoured that a deal involving Britain and France might be possible. Both are relatively cheap events for the F1 teams.
<SCRIPT src="http://w.sharethis.com/widget/?tabs=web%2Cpost%2Cemail&charset=utf-8&services=reddit%2Cdigg%2Cfacebook%2Cmyspace%2Cdelicious%2Cstumbleupon%2Ctechnorati%2Cgoogle_bmarks%2Cyahoo_bmarks%2Cyahoo_myweb%2Cwindows_live%2Cpropeller%2Cfriendfeed%2Cnewsvine%2Cn4g%2Cmixx%2Cblinklist%2Cfurl%2Cmagnolia%2Cmister_wong%2Cfaves%2Cblogmarks%2Ccurrent%2Cslashdot%2Cyigg%2Cfresqui%2Ckirtsy%2Ccare2%2Csphinn%2Chugg%2Cfunp%2Cdiigo%2Coknotizie%2Cmeneame%2Csimpy&style=rotate&publisher=bcf7320e-6d71-47f2-aa76-34d426471a3e" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Brawn Gp will be renamed Mercedes Gp next week, Whitmarsh may be sent packing and Big Ron retakes his seat on the pitwall now Napoleon has taken over from the Sadist.

Allegedly.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Belgian youngster Bertrand Baguette is the latest name to land the chance to test at next month’s young drivers’ session at Jerez. Baguette will be in action for Renault at the Spanish circuit on December 1, as a reward for winning the 2009 Formula Renault 3.5 series.

“This will be a great first for me,” Baguette told his official website. “It’s all my childhood dreams come true and, at the same time, it’s every racing driver's ultimate goal. It’s thanks to Renault that I was able to get into single-seater racing, by winning a programme set up by Renault in Belgium to discover up-and-coming young talent from karting. Since then, I’ve driven every Renault single-seater, from Formula Renault 1.6 to Formula Renault 3.5 via Formula Renault 2.0.

“Driving the Renault F1 R29 kind of completes the set as far as I’m concerned! The first few laps in Formula One must be really unbelievable, with a lighter, more powerful car that has just phenomenal cornering speeds. I’ll have everything to learn, not just the car itself, but also a new environment, lots of new parameters, a different way of working. The only thing I will be familiar with will be the Jerez circuit!"

Baguette is currently getting ready for the test by following a special training programme and will visit Renault’s UK factory at Enstone in the next few days for a full pre-session briefing.

“The most important thing for me is not really driving the fastest possible lap,” he concluded. “The aim of this day will be to work hard with the team and to carry out the test programme that Renault F1 Team is going to define seriously and professionally. Rather than my outright speed, it will be my ability to analyse the car’s handling and my communication with the members of the team that will be gauged.

“I can’t wait. I’m going to have to take things one step at a time and be cautious. It’s a terrific opportunity to be able to take part in testing with a team as prestigious as Renault.”

Back