F1 2010

Pete,
I think he(Norris McDonald) is bang dead on from the North American perspective. As for fans of open wheel racing. I think he is one of the biggest because he does not like the direction it going. As for Toronto no F1 here. Toronto Honda Indy and that race was saved by former F1 Champion Mario Andretti. He found the sponsorship to keep it going because he liked racing here. Dario Franchetti beat Will Power(Queensland Aus) by1.42 sec Dixon third. Greed killing F1, we will see if Silverstone survives in 2010 and it won't be because of the fans.
Dave

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I think you will find Peter Windsor back commentating for speed T.V. next
year. Strong rumours that the U.S.F1 team aint gonna happen.:sad:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,
One report suggests that USF1 have lodged their $440,000 deposit to the FIA account aka Ecclestone Savings so it may just happen though I had heard the same rumours as you that it would go the other way. They've been busy refurbshing
the ex Brawn Ex BAR ex Honda trucks as well.

Briatore allegedly has leaked some of his defence (Papers) in his appeal in the French Courts against the FIA's previous Whiplash Mosely Regime to the Guardian Newspaper. It seems the midget might have had a grudge against Briatore as well.

Pat Symonds is reported as possibly "joining" in the appeal with Briatore. Not an 'enjoinder' by the way. That's a bit different.

Button will not get a payrise amounting to any more than the salary of 2009 with Brawn Gp. All a bit confusing really because I though he was wearing the No1 on his car in 2010. Raikonnen is reported to be going to get about five times as much as that for staying at home or getting pissed or what ever he does best.

Ecclestone is now more than ten years into his quad bypass. I wonder what warranty
he got from his surgeon.

Some live in hope.....

Still not a lot from Silverstone.

The only way Jenson was going to get a raise was to have some other team bid for his services. I'm guessing nobody did? World Champ or not Brawn still isnt rolling in dough, certainly not Ferrari kind of pasta. Personally I think Jenson a nice guy and seems a raise in order for political reasons if nothing else, but then me thinks Ross Brawn thinks ANYBODY could have hauled that Honda/Mercedes around the track to win the championship for them. I guess in Ross' mind - Jenson is lucky to know him.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,Button will not get a payrise amounting to any more than the salary of 2009 with Brawn Gp. All a bit confusing really because I though he was wearing the No1 on his car in 2010. Raikonnen is reported to be going to get about five times as much as that for staying at home or getting pissed or what ever he does best.

Hi David,
Apart from getting pissed, I think Jenni is what he does best...If you get my drift.....
At least he wouldn't need the vodka goggles on.
YouTube - kimi and jenni

And still on Kimi,
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dedcd7; COLOR: #dedcd7" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Kimi Raikkonen’s management team visited McLaren’s Technology Centre on Wednesday as guests of Martin Whitmarsh, itv.com/f1 has learned.

Steve and David Robertson were seen in conversation with the McLaren team principal while walking around parts of the squad’s Woking base.

Former world champion Raikkonen has been heavily linked with a return to McLaren since reaching an agreement with Ferrari to end his contract with the team a year early so that it could make room for Fernando Alonso.

But although the Robertsons’ McLaren visit suggests McLaren is indeed making a serious bid to re-sign the Finn after his three-year stint at Ferrari, itv.com/f1 understands that other candidates remain in the running for the seat alongside Lewis Hamilton in 2010.

Raikkonen has made it clear since his Ferrari departure was confirmed that he is only interested in remaining in Formula 1 next year with a team that will give him the chance to challenge for a second world championship.

Amid speculation that disagreements over money had slowed the progress of his initial talks with McLaren, Raikkonen told reporters at the season finale in Abu Dhabi said he wouldn’t be compromising on any deal just to stay on the grid.

"I have options and I still want to be here [in F1], but everything needs to be perfect," Raikkonen said in Abu Dhabi.

"I have no reason to make any contract that I don't feel 100 per cent happy with.”

The 30-year-old has previously hinted that he could take a sabbatical from F1 or switch to the World Rally Championship if he does not secure a drive he is happy with before next season.

Raikkonen has appeared the most likely driver to become Hamilton’s 2010 team-mate for weeks, although Whitmarsh has previously not ruled out the prospect of Heikki Kovalainen retaining his drive despite his disappointing results this year.

The possibility of new world champion Jenson Button joining Hamilton in an all-British line-up has also been mooted with the star yet to agree a new contract at Brawn.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The Doctor - Valentino Rossi - will be back in a Ferrari for a test in January.
Oh yes - Michael Schumacher doesn't 'advise' the Ferrar F1 team any more.

Quite a few rumblings about the 'new' teams doing various things and operating on twitter
and crash testing and Indian Gps going ahead and the midget uttering veiled threats left right and centre. When things really happen instead of all this virtual nonsense it's proabaly worth noting.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Would someone please explain to me why one of the most popular sports in the world can't make ends meet? I just don't get it. They have huge crowds (don't they?) huge television and web viewership (don't they?) and they race all over the world (don't they?) Why can't they make a financial go of it? I can't for the life of me understand it.

And WHY is F1 run by weirdos? A troll and an S&M freak? These guys make NASCAR look normal. They make Ricky Bobby look normal!!!

And David, bypasses are usually good for 10-15 years, depending on how you take care of them. They seem to last longer than stents, roughly speaking. Although if you apply the rule of the good dying young, Bernie will be around well into the next millenium.

Last edited:

Keith

I may have something wrong here, but aren't those who make obscene fortunes out of virtually nothing act like despots and wield the power of Governments highly respected and valued in the Western World?

And, at the other end of the scale, aren't the impecunious absolute wankers because they've wasted their lives for nothing?

Surely, in our meritorious society (based on the fast buck), Bernie is a God?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,
Prakash Punjabi who did my 5 by-passes cleared me for Diving as soon as the scars healed, dropped my pills down to one statin a day after 2 years and cleared me to use the blue smarties after a couple of months post op. He went on to guarantee that his needle work was good for about 20 years which will take me to approximately 80 yrs. I think by then I will have forgotten what the scars were for and possibly dribbling my National Health Service gruel and watching the TV on full volume.
What was I going to say ??? I keep forgetting.....Oh yes - B.A.R. which begat Honda which begat Brawn is now the Mercedes F1 Team.
Official.
No duff.
How that leaves Mclaren is anybody's guess but they are rumoured to be about to sign up with Button. Then again it was going to be Raikonnen last week
and apparently Heidfeld has been seen there as well in recent days.

Who said that.....?

Last edited:

Keith

I'm sure you're right David - you have to take my comments with a shovel full of road grit.

I swear that in my business experience that those who have made money always "know more" are "cleverer" and more listened to than those who haven't.

(Of course, I never said that, it was probably a member of this Government who are so in love with the green stuff).

Ipso Facto - if you've got money then you (by definition) are generally respected doesn't matter how you got it even if you are a total wazzock like this Bernie chappie.

Take our bankers for example - they must be extraordinarily clever. They have made billions out of our millions and then taken our billions to make them more millions. By anyone's standards, that's damned clever eh?

Keith

Well that's it then. Two Brits together at McLaren and Nico landing on his feet with the lead drive for Mercedes Grand Prix followed by Nick.

Trulli to Lotus?

Should be interesting....

Steeping back a few posts, Mike Gasgoigne is known in the industry as being the bloke who takes a brief case full of his last temas drawings to his new employers. He then leaves the team when his brief case is empty.

How many teams has he been with recently, all paid him a lot of money and he delivered so little in real terms. Now he is at Lotus, which is a laugh as it has nothing to do with Lotus at all. He must have the famous brief case with him because there is no other way he could possibly hope to have a car on the grid in 2010 only starting in October.

Can't quite get my head around the Mercedes, Brawn and McLaren situation. Shrewd move by Ross though.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The event was a 747 flight to Sao Paolo from London. He and Flav (who I did not know at that stage) both had pre board dinners and were both quite well oiled. The Midget was sat beside Flav in the older first class and both went to sleep almost striaght away. Now, the third world (economy passengers) were busy troughing for about the first hour after departure and then the cabin would go dark until breakfast during the descent into Sao Paolo.
That was the plan but things never quite go that well.
There is a man hole in first class which allows access to the Lower 42 area (the electronics and electrical heart of the 747) and the midget was sat right beside it. When the cabin crew finished dinner for the poor people, they went to dim (extinguish) the lights and nothing happened. The Electronic control (a system called something like Electret in the early days of the 747-400 [known also as the Electric Jet])of all the cabin lights had failed. Now, access to the bay meant ripping up the carpet held down with stong Velchro and opening the hatch, switching the lower 43 lights on, and descending the ladder into this unheated area and the cold goes straight up into the immediate area in 1st class. I went below, sorted out the electrics by isolating various areas in the cabin and tripping the CBs for the lights in third world. I came back up the ladder , leaving the light on in the bay because I would have to go back down again before TOD (top of descent) to put them all back on again.
I put the manhole cover back on replacing the yellow and black danger cover and replaced the carpet. I went thought the curtains out of first class into the galley to be confornted by the midget. What he was going to do to me when he got back to London was anybodies business. He paid xyz for this seat, deliberately got to the airport early to have a pre board meal ( and was fast asleep in his seat when I started my antics). He was hovering above the floor with rage.This was the first flight after his quad bypass surgery and the CSD (chief Steward) was standing along side. His behaviousr was very agitated and quite insulting so I asked the steward to make ready the M5 kit (doctors kit) in case he might be in need of it. Eventually I told him to completely desist by shutting up, to obey the cabin signs and return to his seat, (the seat belt signs were on all the time the manhole was open) and to calm down in case he had some sort of an event because if he did we were going to continue to Sao Paolo no matter what due to above landing weight for the first eight hours an a lack of suitable diversions after that.
Apart from Jonathan Palmer there were no other doctors on board and I'm not sure if he was a medical man anyway. I gave him my BA business card and my last word was to ask him to make sure he spelled my name correctly. I furnished him the carbon copy of my voyage report detailing this incident and I had made sure I mispelled his name in several different ways.
I never had another word out of him, even when I went back down the 'hole' to restore the lights at TOD.
We were staying at the same hotel , the Trans America, and never another word was ever said.
I think I still have a photcopy somewhere of the voyage report. Just for a laugh occasionally.

Back