F1 in 2012

Keith

Button Hamilton Rosberg Webber kimi

To be honest, even after a lifetime of F1 I couldn't even begin to work out the form in this day and age.

Nowadays, it only takes 2 seconds of operator error on a nut gun to decide the whole shebang and I guess I just do not have the knowledge of some people on here. :laugh:

So, it's down to the Magic Pin which says.... Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg, Raikonnen, Webber, Alonso, Shoemaker, Button, Maldonado, Hulkenberg, Perez and Diresta.

Massa will finish Monday.

Easy :)

:shocked:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I've heard that Massa was given a new chassis for Malaysa. Additionally I hear that if Massa remains a good bit slower than Alonso, that Ferrari are prepared to put that great young driver from Mexico, Sergio Perez in the car, I really like this kid, he is very good!

I would feel bad for Filepe, but then he has had a great career, won a lot of races, was World Champian for a few seconds, and was at Ferrari longer than anyone other than Schumaker (I think).

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I've heard that Massa was given a new chassis for Malaysa. Additionally I hear that if Massa remains a good bit slower than Alonso, that Ferrari are prepared to put that great young driver from Mexico, Sergio Perez in the car, I really like this kid, he is very good!

I would feel bad for Filepe, but then he has had a great career, won a lot of races, was World Champian for a few seconds, and was at Ferrari longer than anyone other than Schumaker (I think).

You have a very good crystal ball Jim. Re Perez that is.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
....SPOILER......IF YOU DON'T KNOW RESULTS DON'T READ............

Red Bull says understanding 2012 tyres is as key as improving its car's pace
By Jonathan Noble Monday, March 26th 2012, 08:50 GMT

Red Bull believes that getting a better understanding of Pirelli's tyres will be just as important to its title hopes as improving its car.

On the back of Ferrari and Sauber delivering a shock result in the Malaysian Grand Prix, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says that his squad needs to be able to extract more from the 2012 tyres if it is to deliver the consistent results that will ensure the championship.

"Consistency will be important all the way through," explained Horner. "HRT have played their role today [with Narain Karthikeyan colliding with Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel], but I don't think anybody could have predicted that Sergio [Perez] would be harrying Fernando [Alonso] for a victory.

"We are just going to be focused on our own performance, and stick to our own plan. We have an additional week before China, rather than the usual two-week period, and it will be about consistency and understanding the tyres.

"The tyres seem to be the biggest variant. They seem to have changed the most from last year and, as you can see, different cars at different points are quick. Suddenly Kimi [Raikkonen] came alive at the end of the race and started setting purple sectors, so the tyres appear to be a key factor."

Horner believes that the evidence of the first two races of the campaign shows that performance swings are likely to be quite dramatic throughout 2012.

"Looking at Sunday's performance, one would have to say that Sergio Perez is currently the hot favourite," he joked. "But hats off to him. He drove a great race, and I don't think anyone would have predicted a Ferrari victory [with Alonso].

"I think the only good thing is that the fans are in for a good year. The pace has moved around an awful lot, and here was quite peculiar because, if you look at it, Sergio was the quickest man on track.

"He was catching a Ferrari and pulling away from a McLaren, so it is difficult to draw too much out of the first couple of races. We know we have got things that we can improve on, and that is what we will be focused on for China. But it is fairly unpredictable at the moment."

When asked if he felt that Sauber could actually be a genuine threat to the front-runners for the remainder of the season, Horner said: "Based on this performance they were the car to beat in the race.

"They were the quickest driver/car combination, so hats off to them for that. It is not one that you would perhaps have expected."

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I found it interesting that even after the typical rain issues where the underdogs get a shot at the podium, the underdogs continued to rule even as the track went completely dry. That was what I found most fascinating. As I've said before, I love rain!

Malcolm

Supporter
I thought Vettel's out burst in the post race interview was completely unjustified. He just pulled back on line too early. Possibly trying to intimidate the other driver but he got it wrong. Bit like when he and Webber collided last year. No need to intimidate the HRT guys as they have enough issues to worry over. So his reaction, to me, was showing he is not on top of the game any more. Webber beat him for one which was good to see. Guess it is easy to be a nice champion when you are walking it. Now his true style and colours will come out. Hope he improves from here on. Compare with Button's reaction when he wiped the nose off his car. Much more realistic.

Good on Sergio! I almost think Sergio's result was a moment like Vettels first Torro Rosso win in terms of careeer importance. His stock has just gone through the roof. i hope he doesn't leave Sauber mid season as it would be good for them to have him all year. However guess money will talk sooner or later.

I really think Massa's days are numbered now. Someone said earlier he would finish on Monday and they were nearly right!

Don't agree with DC's comment that when you are 2/3 past a car you can pull back onto line (Massa and Petrov last race I think it was). To pull back you must be completely past unless you still leave room for the other guy. Its called an overtake not a partial pass. If that style is allowed to creep down to club motorsport there will be a lot of accidents.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Sebastian Vettel (11th)
“Most crucially we lost radio communication and that makes it very difficult in these conditions to know what’s going on. Nonetheless we did our maximum today and got up to fourth. To then lose the race how I did is very frustrating. Some people need to look more where they are going. Today it was crucial to come in at the right time. Having no radio meant we were delayed getting the messages and I didn’t hear anything from the team at the end. There were problems with the car after the incident, but I wanted to see the chequered flag. There were no points for me today. Before the incident with HRT the way the race had unfolded was good for us I think, so it’s frustrating to lose the race like that.

I really think Massa's days are numbered now. Someone said earlier he would finish on Monday and they were nearly right!

Don't agree with DC's comment that when you are 2/3 past a car you can pull back onto line (Massa and Petrov last race I think it was). To pull back you must be completely past unless you still leave room for the other guy. Its called an overtake not a partial pass. If that style is allowed to creep down to club motorsport there will be a lot of accidents.

Massa is done. He had a good career but that race ended it IMO. Sergio ROCKED, I was so hoping he could make a pass on Fernando. I hope he can get to the front and stay there in some future race this year.

If DC said that and literally meant it then there is no wonder why Shummie made so many friends while racing....as he didnt even get that far in front :) Really tho 2/3rds....what a joke.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

It's hard not to compare young Mr Perez to the young Ricardo Rodriguez, both extremely talented young men, who burst onto the world sceen almost overnight.

I recently got the great book "Hermonos Rodriguez" The Brothers Rodreguez. Its a very large, very thick book, with literally thousands of photos, covering both the very talented brothers life and careers.

Young Recardo became the youngest driver to podium at Le Mans, with his incredable 2nd place in 1960 at the age of 18.

At 19 Ferrari then gave him several F1 drives, at Spa he scored points and qualified #2 on that fateful day at Monza when Phil Hill became Champion and many spectators and Taffy Von Tripps were killed.

Unfortunatly those were very dangerous days and Ricardo was killed after becoming a Ferrari Works driver, trying to put Rob Walkers Lotus back on pole for the Mexican GP (Ferrari did not go to Mexico that year).

Young Mr Perez appears to be very, very talented, He's a real "racer"............fast, yet with few mistakes. I'm guessing he goes to Ferrari before the year is out. Maybe before the month is out!

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The pattern is repeated over and over.....wide eyed enthusiastic driver with talent goes fast, everyone loves him, he wins a lot, and then once he hits a rough patch becomes a petulant whiner...

A real shame about Massa. Before the accident I agree, as good as anyone.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is some fairly artistic grafitti from Bahrain

120411-bahrain01-130a.photoblog600.jpg

Malcolm

Supporter
I heard on the radio recently Bernie saying it was up to the teams to decide if they want to race in Bahrain. As ever Bernie does not want to cancel probably due to a penalty payment he would have to make so he is manouvering all into place for a penalty free cancellation. Conspiracy theory of course! The teams say it is not within their power to decide to have a race cancelled which seems quite logical.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well done Nico. Looks like we could be in for an interesting race.
Of course already some are saying Mercedes are cheating? But that would be really unusual in F1 wouldn't it?:lipsrsealed:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
For a qualifying session, I thought it was better than most races. Now, if about 20 minutes of moderate rain come by tommorow, it will be the best.

Back