F1 in 2016

Keith

Rumour has it that it is as a result of his collision with Bottas in Bahrain, and I believe FA only cleared for FP1 then another assessment...

Edit: wrong - it is the entire weekend FA is good to go...

I just hope he visited Specsavers and got a new prescription for China. After all, if you can't avoid the back of a cruising Sauber, you definitely need help!

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mercedes now needs to keep an eye on Red Bull as well as Ferrari, reckons Nico Rosberg:

Formula 1 world title pacesetter Nico Rosberg believes Red Bull is now "a force to be reckoned with" following its performance in the Chinese Grand Prix.

Prior to the race at Shanghai, Ferrari had been regarded as the main challenger to Mercedes once it realised its potential.

But while Ferrari again failed to capitalise on its pace in China, with mistakes in qualifying and a first-lap collision from Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, Red Bull shone.

Daniil Kvyat and Daniel Ricciardo finished third and fourth, the latter cruelly suffering a puncture on lap three when leading and after qualifying second quickest.

"Red Bull was a surprise," said Rosberg.

"They were close in qualifying and close in the race, although we do see Ferrari [as being] right on us whereas Red Bull were still about half a second away [in qualifying], so that's still a fair chunk.

"But they did make a big step, which was a surprise considering they likely don't have as much engine power as us, so they are a force to be reckoned with now, for sure."

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff also recognised Red Bull's progress. The team has not won a race since the 2014 Belgian GP.

"The pace they had was very strong. It would be good if they bounce back," said Wolff.

"Considering Ricciardo lost his race with the puncture, you can imagine he would certainly have given Vettel [who finished second] some competition.

"Certainly they seem to have gained some performance."

Rosberg, who scored his third consecutive win this season in China to open up a 36-point gap over team-mate Lewis Hamilton, remains wary of how well Ferrari could perform if it has a clean weekend.

"Ferrari really hasn't shown what they can do at all yet," said Rosberg.

"They've had so many mishaps all the time, and we really think they're very close to us.

"In qualifying, Kimi messed up otherwise he would've been on it, close to us, so we need to keep our heads down and keep pushing."

Wolff echoed Rosberg's sentiments.

"They are definitely a threat," he said of Ferrari.

"They were a little bit more conservative on the engine than in Bahrain, but it's just a matter of time.

"They then tripped over each other at the start which heavily compromised their race, with Vettel's car damaged twice.

"But if you consider where they were at the end of lap one and yet they ended second and fifth, it must have been a satisfying result for them.

"They are very much a competitor."

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Criticism absurd, fumes Fernando Alonso

"You can say anything about me - I'm slow, I'm old, I'm ugly. But you can't say I'm not motivated."

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has hit back at critics who had commented that he lacked motivation and said he found it unbelievable.

The two-time world champion told Planet F1 that he did not want to leave F1 and added that he had proved over the years in his career how motivated he was.

"I don't know how on earth people can think I'm not motivated," the 2005 and 2006 world champion said.

"In 2012 I fought for the championship until the last moment. In 2013 I finished second, in 2014 my points were thrice that of drivers like Kimi Raikkonen and in 2015 I was pushing the car in Hungary to reach the pitlane.

"Now I had a pneumothorax, two broken ribs and I was asking the FIA to let me drive the car. It's absurd [to say I'm not motivated].

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Now by no way I am a fan of Lulu, but I must say he has been dogged by a run of bad luck compared to the other side of the garage.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Will Kvyat be looking for a job at season end? Please discuss.

Personally I think Marko favours Vestappen, and with rumours still strong that Ferrari wants Ricciardo could Red bull have a new driver line up next year.

Keith

I think he's gone pretty much. Bearing in mind he effectively scuppered The Colgate Kid too, I should imagine Danny K will be in Coventry for the rest of the season. He'd better make the most of 2016, as he's made himself unemployable in F1 now..

Back