FFR guy looking at an SL-C

All--

just joined! I built a FFR cobra replica FFR3607k about 10 years ago and still have it. Now I'm looking for a new kit to build. However since I live in Oregon it rains here so I want a car with a roof. :^)

I looked at the FFR GTM, the SL-C and the Ultimo GTR. I'm not wild about the looks of the GTR, I love the looks of the SL-C and the GTM isn't bad, plus it has roll down windows.

Narrowed to the two, it seems like the cost would be comparable. The GTM is about $23k with options, plus $6k for paint the $8-10kish for the donor. The SL-C would be $46k for the option I would want. The diff looks to be about 6-8k, not bad and the SLC looks to be easier to build.

I'll post a question on the Build quality of the SLC to the forum.

Thanks,
Ron

Several former GTM owners now are building or have built SLCs.

I think you'll find that the quality of the SLC is much higher, especially in terms of the body, electrical systems and chassis. You won't have to relocate the suspension brackets on the SLC, spend weeks fitting the doors, or time cutting out and re-fiberglassing the wheel arch openings as you will on the GTM. Or use an old donor electrical system.

On the other hand, the GTM does have roll-up windows, though they typically don't roll all the way down. And it has a glass rear window, while the SLC uses a lighter Lexan window.

Overall, for equal finish levels, it's generally much less expensive to build an SLC compared to a GTM, if you farm out the body and paint (as most builders do), or have any value on your time.

And then the SLC has an all-aluminum chassis, really cool CNC suspension, and scissor doors.

Good luck, and I think you'll find the SLC group pretty friendly. :)

Thanks for the advice! Yes, looking at the cockpit of the SLC, it just seems more 'mature'. I like the idea of the 0.25 plate in the passenger area, versus the bent tubing and 0.750 square tube with thin aluminum sheeting riveted. That said, the FFR is quite rigid, which made tuning the suspension simpler.

I won't get rid of the FFR, it's a fun car to drive... and keeps you on your toes. I treat just like when I pull the Honda VFR out every spring, it takes about a week to tune yourself back into the groove again.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum!
The SL-C won't disappoint in any way. The chassis is actually much stiffer than the FFR, comfortable cockpit. I looked at the GTM before purchasing the SL-C and the
details and quality of the RCR SL-C won me over. No comparison actually.

Back