Filters - The Paddock and Off Topic Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

I suppose I must hold my hands up too as I have been 'active' recently although try not to get involved in tit for tat type issues. Religion and politics are always a source of ignition, but I do have a suggestion.

It seems that the fallout or collateral damage has been caused by the sheer number of 'new' threads on all the old and mostly parallel subjects on a common theme,started in the Paddock, so why not have a dedicated P&R thread for those members that like to debate. I do find some of the stuff quite educational and as much as I'd like the Paddock to continue, I do understand that it can get annoying.

As far as ignoring it, well, eceryone is drawn to a motorway pile up aren't they?

So my suggestion is have just ONE Permament Thread for that annoying stuff and anyone posting anywhere else is moved to it by Mods.

Ron Earp

Admin
It seems that the fallout or collateral damage has been caused by the sheer number of 'new' threads on all the old and mostly parallel subjects on a common theme,started in the Paddock, so why not have a dedicated P&R thread for those members that like to debate. I do find some of the stuff quite educational and as much as I'd like the Paddock to continue, I do understand that it can get annoying.

So my suggestion is have just ONE Permament Thread for that annoying stuff and anyone posting anywhere else is moved to it by Mods.

I and the moderators don't want to have to moderate the paddock.

Unfortunately the paddock cannot be globally ignored by the New Post search. At least I haven't yet found out how to do that.......yet.

Keith

Then it could be 'self policed'

I believe 99% of members are very reasonable and will comply.

If that don't work Ron and it's causing you grief, then shut it down for a couple of months....or for good.

It would be a shame though as there's also much to smile about in a positive way...

Ron Earp

Admin
Really? Paddock posts never show up in my "New Posts" search. Am I just lucky?

You have it turned off like you described and I posted a picture of doing. Individual users can turn it off, I can't seem to globally turn it off for everyone.

Ron-
I have enjoyed discussing shared interests (such as aviation) with other forum members in the paddock, and I think that fosters a feeling of community. I'd hate to see that go out with the bathwater.
Would it be possible to put a note, perhaps under the forum name, to the effect that no posts on the subjects of politics or religion are permitted in the Paddock? Anyone could flag such a post, so in a way, the Paddock could be self-moderated.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron-
I have enjoyed discussing shared interests (such as aviation) with other forum members in the paddock, and I think that fosters a feeling of community. I'd hate to see that go out with the bathwater.
Would it be possible to put a note, perhaps under the forum name, to the effect that no posts on the subjects of politics or religion are permitted in the Paddock? Anyone could flag such a post, so in a way, the Paddock could be self-moderated.

We sort of have that in Rule (1) and (3b).

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/introduce-yourself-here/27555-rules-gt40s-com.html

If I recall correctly the Paddock was basically created to get those controversial posts and threads out of the main forums.

I would like to stand up next to Nick and appologize if my participation in recent threads in the Paddock has caused any drop in enjoyment of the forums for other members.

Do we need a Paddock? As Ron mentioned above, it was put there for this sort of thing in the first place. BUT, if as Keith says, users of it can't be trusted to self-police it, then kill it. Whatever the majority prefer.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Lately I have introduced a small list of people that are on my "ignore list" - at Rons suggestion - and that seems to keep my blood pressure down at 110/75. I think they have an idea of who they are as of late they will see I don't react to anything they post.
That works fine for me. I never had this "ignore list" while Sean (Meat) was on the website but he eventually disappeared and in time I hope some of the current ones will do the same.
I don't think the Paddock is that outrageous that anyone should be thinking of getting rid of it. Sometimes the main body of the forum is totally banal
as well and smacks of letters from total wankers who should know better or write stupid questions and the answers could be given and answered as well by a ten yr old with no knowledge of GT40S. Now I just ignore that as well.
If you think anything I write should be ignored, then put me on your ignore list. It doesn't offend me at all. If you don't know how - email me and I'll try and talk you through it.
I really think people are complaining for the sake of writing something and their keyboard is suffering from some sort of diorrhoea.

Apologise for anything ? .......Bollocks.

I've just re read this and some of the other posts in this thread. Why is it that any of the above posts have even been written in the first place. Just a load of nonsense.

Last edited:
Mea Culpa to a degree...

I enjoy political debate as much as I enjoy reading build threads etc... Since selling my '40, my love for the car has certainly not dwindled at all.

The Paddock is the place for enlightened debate, but it has become a tit for tat shooting gallery where some people just want to be contentious and downright obstinate. I hope I haven't been either of those things, but if I have, then I apologize. Sometimes in the face of awesome stupidity I react too harshly...

Ron Earp

Admin
I closed the Paddock down for a bit while I investigate some options. If you want to watch certain potentially offensive programming on the TV you generally have to subscribe to it and pay for the privilege.

While we're not going to have members pay for the paddock, we might have them have to turn it on in their User Control Panel, that is to say, The Paddock would be defaulted to OFF on the New Posts link and you'd have to turn The Paddock ON to see the new posts indexed.

The Paddock would always be there and active, but if you wanted it indexed in your New Posts list you'd have to activate it.

If anyone starts that political junk up on the other forums while the Paddock is closed they'll find themselves banned in short order.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Some of the constant bickering and snide remarks that are volleyed here in the paddock get me to wondering if some people here are just old women that have nothing better to do....

Honestly guys (and gals) - We all should have come here with at least one thing in common - The GT40 and/or other cars like it..

We are brothers in grease regardless of our races, ages, social status, political and religious beliefs...

Like most of our parents taught us (or should have - if they did not) - If you don't have something nice to say about someone - maybe you should just keep it to yourself.

I've done precious little moderation here in the paddock, but am seriously getting tired of the personal attacks and while I will check with Ron first, I am thinking about putting a few in the "cooler" for a little while...

Ron Earp

Admin
I've done precious little moderation here in the paddock, but am seriously getting tired of the personal attacks and while I will check with Ron first, I am thinking about putting a few in the "cooler" for a little while...

You guys don't need to check with me. If you, Paul, and Brett think some folks need a vacation then go right ahead.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've always enjoyed the Paddock (even with the current issues, it still has a lot to offer), and obviously I can pass through the obvious political tripe. There are many entertaining strings that I thoroughly enjoy, so I'd cast a vote to keep it.

I've tried to avoid reading the recent posts, but it's like watching a train wreck. Sometimes it's just hard to turn away, but if I don't, I pay the consequences and suffer the visual pain.

Ignoring an obvious invitation to an argument is the best means of sending the offenders off to some other location in which they can peddle their goods.

I'll be the devils advocate (I know surprise surprise). Since the whole valve for people to blow off steam thing has been said I'd like to add that this whole thread is a bit of JOKE and shows just how out of touch some of you are. This is a GT40's site yet most of the posts are about OTHER CARS even in the appropriate sections. Guys get off your high horse and come face reality. This is a VERY SMALL MARKET PERIOD!!!!! Is the idea to limit the already ridiculously SMALL world of the GT40 forums to GT40 only post than one of the most helpful people and part of the Powers that be will have to vanish (as well he doesn't even have a GT40 and neither do I but will be placing an order for an SL-C soon) etc. Also if the powers that be are trying to offset costs what else does that tell you about your VERY SMALL view of what this place is about. Just how many GT40 owners are there world wide spread across all forums guys? If every single owner joined every single site with only Historic posts or GT40 relevant information than this and any that follow that principle would quickly fail and close. Seriously it's not like there are ground breaking advances in the car from ANY builder that would justify having a dedicated site to said technicals. Heck most of the posts in the GT40 specific threads are mostly about engines (which are NOT specific to GT40's) and for that this is not the best place for info as I would wager that any of the plethora of DEDICATED ENGINE building sites I am sure would give far greater detail in relation to engine building etc. We are all grown men and I know that the reality of the the paddock being the glue that keeps this place RELEVANT might bother some but just how long do you think that this place will last with just GT40 specific posts. Here is a hint the mods are looking to offset the costs of this place because all of you die hards have been doing such a wonderful job with your gt40 only information supporting this site. Also since the majority of traffic seems to be in the paddock why would the mods want to filter or get rid of it since in reality it will inevitable drive traffic to this site and lets face it that's what the name of the game is. If it wasn't than the GT40BOT thing wouldn't be an issue. Here is an idea why not start a group buy thread where THIS forum handles the logistics and gets a small piece from the vendor for bringing the business to them. EVERY other forum does this and they make $ doing it. Vendors like the exposure and the discount (usually 10-15%) is what they give normally to resellers so they are all to happy to dole out that discount. Oh wait that's right there would have to enough DEMAND to warrant such a thing which brings my post full circle. In the end we are all adults and if you are not a paddock person than just don't click on the link. How much time does it really take to just slide the bar down past those posts? Come on guys enough already.

P.S. Isn't part of this place about forming friendships and bonding or should I say bringing the whole building community together. What; none of you discuss politics or just basicaly talk trash to your friends. I know my buddies bust my chops all the time and I love it.

P.S.S. While I do not LOVE the GT40 I do LOVE everything about the car and what it did. I came here to learn about the SL-C NOT the GT40 but I have learned plenty about the automotive world in general and some of the tech has helped me in other builds so I for one love the fact that this place is NOT GT40 specific and the fact that the paddock is so active is what keeps my self (and I'm sure other will secretly admit) checking for updates several times a day.

Last edited:
i've always enjoyed the paddock (even with the current issues, it still has a lot to offer), and obviously i can pass through the obvious political tripe. There are many entertaining strings that i thoroughly enjoy, so i'd cast a vote to keep it.

I've tried to avoid reading the recent posts, but it's like watching a train wreck. Sometimes it's just hard to turn away, but if i don't, i pay the consequences and suffer the visual pain.

Ignoring an obvious invitation to an argument is the best means of sending the offenders off to some other location in which they can peddle their goods.

right on the mark ox!

Pat

Supporter
If I recall correctly the Paddock was basically created to get those controversial posts and threads out of the main forums.

I agree with the Paddock concept as Ron describes it. I think it does keep the other postings more to point. So I would encourage you to keep it. Maybe limit the ability to post in it to paying members to limit the trolls. I've found that when it starts getting personal and nasty it's easy enough to ignore it. That said, I really have enjoyed the jokes, the aviation threads and much of the non-political information sharing.

Ron Earp

Admin
We're keeping the paddock. But I am trying to get it setup so that the default is that IT DOES NOT index on your "New Posts" list. Those that want to actively index Paddock New Posts will need to enable it.

I suppose when I wrote "Do we need the Paddock?" I should have qualified that with "Do we need it in its current form?"

Keith

We do not have access to enough information re: "How damaging or otherwise is the Paddock to the wellbeing of GT40's?"

Presumably, Ron (and others) have had some complaints, about certain subjects or posters.

But, how many "errant" posters are involved? Five, Ten, Twenty? Surely no more and out of many thousands of members? It would not be good to change things massively for the sake of an extreme minority.

The business of rudeness on-line seems to be an endemic part of internet culture. Just have a look at anything on YouTube posted with a British Military subject and you'll see what I mean. Youngsters posts are even worse, often degenerating into a hidous and insulting gobfest within a few lines using language and terminology that 13 year olds should not know. By comparison, I think we are an exemplary role model, because it seems we do (and are prepared to) say sorry if someone is truly offended.

I do not think there is a problem that a few days in the "cooler" wouldn't fix, and I believe Rons solution re: Paddock default OFF is a good compromise, but it's still a shame.

OK, who wants to have a bet who will be first in the cooler, or better still, what nationaility will he be? :laugh:

Pick from: Septics, Diggers or Poms, as our European friends are politeness personified.. :)

(PS a "Septic" is a bit of Cockney Rhyming Slang... :evilgrin: )

Any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back