Filters - The Paddock and Off Topic Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

Now then, you can't bet on yourself else there'll be a Stewards enquiry, but, good call anyway.. :)

We sort of have that in Rule (1) and (3b).

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/introduce-yourself-here/27555-rules-gt40s-com.html

If I recall correctly the Paddock was basically created to get those controversial posts and threads out of the main forums.

Just to clarify my question, under "Paddock" in the Forums list it says: "Off Topic forum where anything goes!", and I was wondering if tweaking that a bit might catch the eye of those (me included) who haven't read all the forum rules.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
IMHO the topic is getting somewhat skewed now, and associated with 'the paddock' as an entity rather than a small part of what is going on inside it.
The paddock isn't the problem, it's a good place to be, we get jokes (I could become a stand up comedian on the strength of that thread), we get all manner of car related stuff, aaah the dilemma thread, great aviation posts etc etc.
To me, what's happening with the political entrenchment, and name calling is kind of like we're sitting in the bar having a good time, and bunch of yobs come in shouting at each other. Am I being sensitive, but once you have seen it, it hurts to know it's there.
ok I don't need to look at those particular threads, and am generally not that interested in politics anyway, but wouldn't it be nice (informative even) to see some reasoned intellectual debate between people who respect the other point of view without the name calling?
So I don't think it's the bar / paddock that needs fixing -
Just my groats worth.
Dave

I am not innocent of casting aspersions on my fellow posters. Hell, I even started a thread called "Let's Play a game called "Ignore the Troll".

However, if I cast my mind back, around a year ago, things started to get a tad nastier. I actually believe that this is due in no small part to the huge polarisation in US politics.

Aside from that, we have had posts called "Taking History Back from the Liberals Lies", "This Guy needs to have Jeff Straighten him out", and we have had quotes such as ""Jim and graham are living proof that the indians did indeed fuck buffalo!"

I have also posted statements such as "don't be such a thick twat"...

There is a general undercurrent lurking in the Paddock that is quite unsavoury. People saying things like "They lit up another Idiot" talking about someone losing their life with gay abandon.

I seriously believe that the US is under it's greatest threat since WW2. I have never seen so much entrenchment between two ideologies than I do now.

The Paddock is just a microcosm of what is going on in grown-up land. Scary...

Ron, ban it if you like. I for one will get over it, but there is still a spark in me that enjoys a good debate. I have changed my mind on things posted in the Paddock ( I recall apologising to Doug Sainlar (sp) for once using the quote "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach". I was utterly wrong, and through his eloquent words, I will never use that statement again. He was of course completely right, and he gave me the flip side of the coin that I have never experienced.

To quote a somewhat forgotten leader of the opposition in our country:

"A man who never changed his mind never had a mind".

Cheers,

Graham.

Ron Earp

Admin
However, if I cast my mind back, around a year ago, things started to get a tad nastier.

Aside from that, we have had posts called "Taking History Back from the Liberals Lies", "This Guy needs to have Jeff Straighten him out", and we have had quotes such as ""Jim and graham are living proof that the indians did indeed fuck buffalo!"

There is a general undercurrent lurking in the Paddock that is quite unsavoury. People saying things like "They lit up another Idiot" talking about someone losing their life with gay abandon.

but there is still a spark in me that enjoys a good debate.

Sure, but we're long beyond discussions or debates now. It has degenerated to nastiness in many cases. And it is involving the same characters over and over, some of whom haven't posted OUTSIDE the paddock in months. Not that it makes any difference, I'm just saying.

I have issues with your use of "They lit up another Idiot" Graham. What was your issue with the heading (original thread was about Anwar Al-Awlaki being killed. Notice how he DIDN'T MENTION that. The man was a KNOWN TERRORIST)? Way to take something way out of context just to push YOUR agenda. See that is exactly what the problem is here. It's not the substance of the posts but some members COLORING of the information posted. I know Graham will never change his spots and honestly I look forward to his rants because well at least he is willing to throw his hat in the ring instead of bench seat racing or should I say complaining. How about we stop all of the crying and some of you try to partake in the discussions. Better yet why not show us how it should be done? Now this goes for all of the paddock.
Ron see your comment just goes to prove my point about the lack of NEW content (and as I am not a current owner I am very guilty of what you said but I do try to post in all topics not just the paddock) in this community. How many times can we start a thread about a bundle of snakes. I mean just how many configurations can there be which again brings this conversation full circle. It can be argued that this forum has not had as much activity since the paddock started to heat up (that is a gross assumption by me but I bet it isn't to far from the truth. If it is I openly apologize in advance and will accept any repercussions the powers that be see fit to assign me). Well now that I have aggravated enough of you I am going to back out before I get put in the corner and believe it or not guys that's not something I want as I actually have grown really fond of this place.

Last edited:

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Filters

Excellent, Al. I'd forgotten that feature was there.

As of 2 minutes ago, the 'Paddock' is gone!

Suddenly, there are a lot less new posts to view!

Thanks,
Kirby

The way I ignore the Paddock is to go to my profile, "Edit Options", scroll to the bottom and set "Forums To Exclude From View" to exclude the Paddock (and for that matter any other fora I want to ignore).

As for ignoring the robot for-sale postings, I would think you could do a similar thing with "Edit Ignore List" with respect to user "GT40s Bot" but I just tried it and posts from that user are still visible in "today's posts".

BTW this thread belongs in Site Questions, Suggestions, & Comments.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I have issues with your use of "They lit up another Idiot" Graham. So either you are a terrorist supporter (original thread was about Anwar Al-Awlaki being killed. Notice how he DIDN'T MENTION that. The man was a KNOWN TERRORIST). Way to take something way out of context just to push YOUR agenda. See that is exactly what the problem is here. It's not the substance of the posts but some members COLORING of the information posted. I know Graham will never change his spots and honestly I look forward to his rants because well at least he is willing to throw his hat in the ring instead of bench seat racing or should I say complaining.

Ron,

Shut it down, now. Please.

I've tried my best.

Damien, You miss the point, as always. It wouldn't matter if the title was about Mother Theresa, a US, UK or ANZAC soldier, or a terrorist. The title is Brutal, callous and devisive and everything that is wrong about the Paddock at the moment. You are part of the problem. Chrsit on a frigging Bike, I don't see you quoting my own "Mea Culpa". you are even trying to politicize this thread!!!!!

Last edited:

Keith

You forced me into it. I have a bit of a dilemma which I would normally put in the Paddock.

Since they are clearly resurfacing the road into it, I would ask any bachelor here what they would do in my situation.

Here's the problem.

I have plain Greek Yoghurt
I have Greek Yoghurt with Honey
I have Honey
I have tinned 'Summer Fruits'
I have tinned Strawberries
I have 'just thawed' frozen strawberries.

What combination would y'all suggest and why?

(PS No women were harmed in the compliation of this post)

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn people, this thread ISN'T the Paddock. This thread is about the paddock, in a Suggestion forum, and as such it needs to remain on topic.

Damn people, this thread ISN'T the Paddock. This thread is about the paddock, in a Suggestion forum, and as such it needs to remain on topic.

Sorry Ron, Just to keep it on topic:

Topic.jpg

Keith

I'm done Ron, just having a bit of fun. I'm sure you know what the problems are and I'm also sure you'll come to a righteous solution.

It would be a shame if all of us mischevious pinko liberal ungrateful Brits got all the blame though. We know we would be speaking Cherman... :)

Peace and Love Brothers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back