Flying out to DTW and RCR

Fran, thanks for the info on the tires.It looks like we will stay with the BFG's, the other tires I was looking at won't be comparable in tread width or tire diameter. The BFG's still have a good look to them ayway.

The vintage Wide Oval fronts are a Diameter = 26.90" Tread width 6.50"
BFG Diameter = 25.2" Tread width = N/A"

The vintage Wide Oval Rear Tires are a Diameter = 25.90" Tread width 8.80"
BFG Diameter = 26.7" Tread width = N/A"

Allen,check those two(Firestone) tire models I mentioned. I think Tire Rack or one of those has pictures of the patterns. They're not that much different.Also think about the Hoosiers. Drawbacks are they don't wear all that well and are soft enough to pick up pebbles. If you can find pics of Tim's car,check them out. A.J.

Hi Al, I spent some time researching tires and looked at the Firestone tires you mentioned, but think I will be fine with the BFG tires Fran uses. I would still like to have the wheel centers in black and will call Fran Monday to see if that is an option.

Forgot about these from the Raceline Digital store - I plan to just get the Firestone stencils from Chris Martino seen here Raceline Digital Store if they will work with the front tires too.

Quote:
firestonestencil.gif

Premium quality 1.15" Tall Rear Tire Lettering / 1.0" Tall Front Tire Lettering Paint Stencil Set (4)
This is an adhesive backed paint stencil - TIRE PAINT NOT PROVIDED
Designed for black wall side application - NO GUARANTEE TO FIT OVER ORIGINAL LETTERING

MINIMUM SUGGESTED TIRE SIZE SHOULD BE P225/50/15 FRONT & P275/50/15 REAR

CONTACT US FOR OTHER WHEEL/TIRE SIZES
pixel_trans.gif

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Allen,

Kudos for your attention to detail. For whatever it's worth, you might want to connect with forum member Ray Maserang III and inquire about his experience with reworking tire sidewalls, as I understand he went the same path as you're headed.

Looking forward to seeing your car one after it's delivered. The in-laws live in Newport - with luck we can hook up later this summer...

Best,

T.

Don't want to hijack, but has anyone ever seen anyone selling Hoosier and/or Michelin tire stencils? (Yes, I know neither of those is old school...I've got my reasons, though!).

--Donnie

Donnie, sorry I don't know of anyone making those stencils.

Dutton, it would be nice to meet you, maybe when Chris finishes his RCR we can drive our cars up North and meet with you and Brent Mills when there is an event going on?

Congrats on the car Allen. Just interested to see the ISIS system mentioned by you. I was about to order the 2 Cell starter kit!

Do you have any comments on it? As I work for Tyco Electronics and we make automotive harness systems I want to do something different in my own car and this system looks like it will offer a few advantages over conventional wiring.

Hello Jason, I don't think that RCR plans to use the ISIS system on my car, I talked to the guy that will be wiring our car and he said that it was overkill for my car. So I told him to go ahead with the RCR wiring. The wiring was for a GTM I planned to purchase at one time. I know that the ISIS system has evolved a bit since the purchase of my system and I know a lot of guys are using there system for the Factory Five cars and seem to be happy. I will maybe save this system for a SL-C build if I ever get the itch to build another car and the economy takes a turn for the better.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Thanks for the complements guys. We can hardly wait for it to be completed.

It will end up with Twin Stripes & Roundels and the Gurney Bubble like Dean's RCR but with the number 78 for our car. I'm not trying to replicate any certain GT40, rather create one with all my favorite parts.

Hey,Allen,that's preferential treatment - they put MY parts out on the lawn! Just kidding, the color is real nice. I can't wait to see your completed car - for 2 reasons. A.J.

Update: I spoke to Fran a couple of days ago and got the final paint details figured out with him. Fran say's our car should be done this month, so I expect to have the car in my garage by my birthday the first week of August.

Back