Fuel economy.

Pete raised a good question. What do you guys get out of your GT-40s? I get 'almost' 10 mpg putsing along on the highway at 70. On the track (I get 4th gear once for about 5 seconds), it's maybe 2.5 mpg.

(Hope your flood problems are under control, Pete. )

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete raised a good question. What do you guys get out of your GT-40s? I get 'almost' 10 mpg putsing along on the highway at 70. On the track (I get 4th gear once for about 5 seconds), it's maybe 2.5 mpg.

Thanks Mike it will take time. I have no idea what MPG I get out of the GT40. Fourth gear at racing rev's is bloody quick, you must have a long straight.

About 1/2 mile after coming off a banked turn at 90+. The bad news is the track (Gateway International) is going out of business (poor management?). Remains to be seen if someone buys it...apparently some complicated set of land deals, leases and ownership.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter

An injected 347 that gets 10mpg on the highway? Seems very low to me? Many guys are talking 17-22 in an injected car.

1) Send a letter to your MP In it pick on a local piece of road that has numerous sets of traffic lights. Advise them that if they syncronised the lights they would save on the county's CO2 footprint, (Constant 40 mph is better than zero - 50 - zero - 50 etc)
2) Fit a LPG conversion LPG is about 50% of the petrol cost
3) Smaller car / smaller engine for local trips

Ian

Ian fitting LPG is a REALLY GOOD Idea (More power than petrol).

Just one question though -where about's on the GT40 can you fit the LPG bottles??? I would be really interested to know this because LPG is certainly a lot cheaper where I live too!!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul

I thaught about this and I believe a custom tank could be made to fit inside the cills. But better way in my opinion is on the originals under the front clip they had to run a spare wheel. Now if you can get one of those "spare wheel" tanks you could fit it " up front"

But over here LPG is about 20 percent less efficient (Mpg wise) ( using evaporators after carb so you use carb butterfly) but I believe down under you guys are doing LPG injection and getting great results for power and economy.

Ian

Don't wait for a car to "warm up". If your cars running and stationary it's getting 0 mpg. Even if its cold and getting crap mpg at least its moving and getting better than 0.

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
I get 18-20 on a run in my 40 with a 302/holley on the motorway at 70mph. It did about 4mpg on the track at Le Mans which is about a gallon and a half per lap - cheap at twice the price!
Cheers
Mike

I like to look as far ahead as possible. This allows me to see what's happening with traffic and start slowing down or coasting before the red tail lights come on in front of me.

Back