G50 speedometer pick-up

I had my G50 transaxle rebuilt by MotorMeister, for inverted (mid-engine) use on my kit.

After having the transaxle shipped, I realized that they did not machine anything into the case for a pick-up for a speedometer.

When I asked them about this, they just said to use a GPS speedometer (speedometers made to use GPS coordinates to register speed...very common in boat racing).

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
I'm a little ticked with MotorMeister about the oversight.

Thanks,
Chris

I'm looking at Porsche transmission also and It seems there is no provision for a cable pick up on these boxes. Trick seems to be to use a sensor, probably on the driveshaft to sense rotation and calibrate the speedo to this. Obviously the gauge will need to be a suitable electronic type. I've heard of a few tricks you can do to use the face and casing of an older, period type gauge mated to the inerds of a more modern elctronic pick up type. I don't know of any details though. I've not come to that bridge yet.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Martin;)

Consumer GPS systems normally work in 2 dimensions only.
They work by determining position repeatedly and calculating change in position divided by time interval. If you are climbing or decending a slope, or going around a corner, they will read lower than your actual speed as you will be travelling further than the level surface straight line that they calculate.
Might be ok for a boat, but they generally operate on a level surface. Can be very usefull as calibration/verification in a straight line level surface situation but they aere not good as primary instrumentation.

Back