Gardner Douglas GD T70 Number 26 - Paul's Build Log

has gone awfully quiet now didn't it?

I'm still/again in the wiring process. but when the fuse/relais box is in en wired up I will begin on the suspension bits.
@ Chris: the threads in my wishbones have been a little rusty since when I got them, how much force did you have to apply to get the minebea rosejoint stuff in?

I will be visiting Andy someday soon to place the order for my bodywork.... finally!

Grtz Thomas

you might be best to run a tap down the threads to clean them out if its that tight, and use some lubricant on the threads when you do fit the rod ends. also you might have got a little powder coating in there ?
i have to visit andy soon myself, i am taking my headers back (one needs re-welding at a slightly different angle) and to get them ceramic coated. give me a shout when you are going for your bodywork if its reasonably soon, might call in with headers and meet up with you!
regards
chris

ps i have just bought some (hopefully) better quality LS roller rockers for my ls6 with proper bearings in them as the stock LS roller rockers are a known weak point in that the needle bearings can fail, resulting in a bent valve etc.

Hey chris,

indeed there was a little coating inside, barely visible but still goes to show what exelent fit the minebea rosjoints are.
I eventually cleaned the rust out with a small nylonwire brush on a dremel en a little WD40 as solvent. the top rear wishbones where still very tight but I got everything in eventually. if you wehre to use a tap you'd need to buy 4 different so that might prove a bit costly just for cleaning.....

one hurdle less to worry about, on with wiring!

would be nice btw to meet some fellow T70 owners, since i've only ever met 2, the one that sels them and the 1 owner from holland. I might even be down there this week as I have 2 days off, but my honda broke down so I'd be taking her's 1989 corolla YIKES!!!

engine wise I'll just drop in the bone stock LS1 and G50, hook the omex up and program the base mapping, and go from there. I don't plan on opening anything up before it's registered in holland.

can you perhaps post a high res picture of you headers as used, without coating?

back to topic,

PAUL are your arms hurting allready from all those rivits?

regards Thomas

will do. the bright shiny stainless finish soon discolours and altho not rusty it does look poor compared to how silver cermacoat would look. i saw the headers on a gt40 replica that had been on about 3 yrs and the cerma coat finish was great, so thats my next job.

Hey Johan,

thanx for the offer, but I think the GD chassis permits the original lola body to be used without major re-desinging the underside.
I wish I was close enough to pay you a visit anyway!:shy:
Question: have you got a picture of an original steering wheel in a T70 spider MK3?

@ chris, I was planning on visiting GD (lincolnshire UK) next weekend (4-5 dec) and pick up some brakes at London based hi-spec on the way back to dover, but I suspect there's been some snow problems in that area....:veryangry: can you confirm that?

regards Thomas

Lola-T70-Mk3-Spyder-Chevrolet_5.jpg

Hey Johan,

thanx for the offer, but I think the GD chassis permits the original lola body to be used without major re-desinging the underside.
I wish I was close enough to pay you a visit anyway!:shy:
Question: have you got a picture of an original steering wheel in a T70 spider MK3?

@ chris, I was planning on visiting GD (lincolnshire UK) next weekend (4-5 dec) and pick up some brakes at London based hi-spec on the way back to dover, but I suspect there's been some snow problems in that area....:veryangry: can you confirm that?

regards Thomas

we have about 2 inches of snow but all the main roads are clear and passable without any problems, if you like i will update you nearer to the weekend. the very local roads to GD will be cleared anyway but you would have to drive carefully if you came in a rwd car i bet!

Hi Chris,

I'll be at Andy's tommorow (sat) morning at around 9:30 in case you want to meet up!

will drive safe offcourse.

regards Thomas

hi Thomas. sorry to say but unfortunately not got a cat in hells chance of getting down tomorrow. turned really bad here, we have 18" of snow and most of the roads in south yorkshire are terrible at the minute. didnt get to work on wednesday and spent 4 hrs shovelling snow to dig the car out onto a main road to get in to work yesterday and today. exceptionally bad weather for the time of yr and new record low temps here for nov/dec (-11 last night) !!!

Please give andy my regards though and i hope your trip goes ok. i think newark/notts has missed the really heavy snowfall and you should be ok to get to the factory if you go carefully, all the best, maybe meet next time you are over, or at next seasons GD owners day.

well we got there eventually at something more like 11:00 or such,

it was an euuuhmmmmm... interesting trip. in a 20yo "never breaks down" toyota corolla, Andy and a nice cobra owner named Charlie had a nice laugh about that,
"and his other car is a 420bhp T70...... whahahaha"

there was so much snow in lincolnshire unbelieveble. on the way from calais to holland (saturday night) we had some terrible wheater, but the old rolla did it best and we have not been taken over once...... very funny car to drive on ice roads. actually able to go quite quick without getting into serious trouble.
home at 02:00 on sunday morning, it was jackass all the way!

anyway, GD owners day, is that when to sun comes out? if so count me in!

grtz Thomas

glad you got there and back ok! we have -11c at night at the mo, my ignition lock iced up last night and the car wouldnt start this morning to get to work!

did you get your order sorted? what colour are you going for?

GD day whould be June or July i imagine, cant see a repeat of this week's weather then fingers crossed!

you mean the key barrel inside the car froze up? sjeez we had some very low tempa aswell here (-13 last wednesday) but never had that hapen.

June or july, we should all meet up at le-mans also then!

regards Thomas

you mean the key barrel inside the car froze up? sjeez we had some very low tempa aswell here (-13 last wednesday) but never had that hapen.

June or july, we should all meet up at le-mans also then!

regards Thomas

yes i had to scrape ice off inside all the windows and the dash got covered in ice scrapings! the ignition barrell froze solid, couldnt even get a key in it. had to use the wifes hair dryer @ full power to defrost it:laugh:
-10c last night and -7c tonight so at last its warming up lol

Well I am sad to say that progress with Number 26 has been non existant. Time has just been against me. Sadly, when you work for the Queen you don't get to set your own timetable. However, I hope to get back to her soon!

crikey good to hear from you paul! long long time!

there is a gd/cobra/gt40 track day at blyton on 1st october which i aim to be at if you fancy a meet up for the last event of this season?

have you not been able to progress anything yet this year? heres hoping you can get into it soon if not.
regards
chris

Chirs, I would have loved to. It would have been good to get eyes on a completed car for the first time in a while. However, I'm racing at Oulton that day.......

Back