Getting your 40 in and out of a standard garage door?

I have a nice long garage but width is not so good. I have thought about when the car is finished and getting it in & out on my own.

I have considered using: -

Go-jacks and reversing the car to the door, jacking the front up & pushing it in (not great as Ill have to push on the body).

Winching it in. Not easy as the garage is 40ft deep & then you have the problem of getting it out.

Fitting 2 x electric roller doors, one on the front & one on the side so I can open the door.

I am sure not all owners have double width garages and must have had this problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris could you fit a set of patio doors or french doors in the side of the garage large enough so you can open the car door to get in and out.
regards mick.

Hi Mick,
I could. I guess it would just mean getting in & out a few times & closing them after. Probably less effort thought than pushing it in.
Thanks

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris

I have the same problem but it is a bit worse as I have a shared drive and my garage is a dogleg to the left so the drivers door opening hrough the wall would be straight into the neighbours grage!. Now because of the dogleg I need to remove the drivers window each time to reach in and stear the car into the garage.

So I would suggest a side opening in the garage at the point that your door opens - that would allow you to get out the car after driving in. Make sure your passenger gets out before you get in the garage and you can be offset a bit to one side.

It would also be worth while looking for some automatic door opening gadgets to get both doors open while seated!

But don't forget you will also need to reverse the car out and some doors are really tight on space.

That said I have found the car pretty easy to push. It is about 1100kg and rolls well enough. For pushing it out I use the bottom corner of the windscreen near the filler cap (but the Dax fiberglass is over 1cm thick in that area!

Just because the car is running it does not mean the work stops!

Ian

Back